WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Thru Hiking With A radio?

Does anyone have any good radio suggestions? Is it even worth the effort and weight? I have an ipod, but dont really use it. Id rather listen to the radio (npr) or something similar.

Images

i use a zune. it does radio as well as mp3 and video. works well.
    don't like logging? try wiping with a pine cone.

For sure worth the weight... radio on the trail can be a blast, especially when you pick up some really local radio stations.

Sadly, I don't have any specific suggestions for you though as to what make/model to get.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

If you have a smartphone you could just download Pandora. Battery power is the only thing I'd worry about in that case.

Images

Can I also add a question to this post to...mp3 player speakers? Any good sugestions?

I would like to carry my mp3 player to listen to my cd's and the radio. But would also like to share the music with my hiking partner so we both don't have to carry 2 mps players and head phones.

Images

phillips amplified speakers. they take 4AA batteries and are plenty loud enough www.amazon.com/Philips-Portable-Speaker-System-1503/dp/B0047Q0G70
    don't like logging? try wiping with a pine cone.

I sometimes hike with this AM/FM radio, 2.1 oz.:

http://www.amazon.com/Sangean-SR-2Y-...=1VK843TPSW1W6

This MP3 player weighs just 1 ounce:

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-...=1VK843TPSW1W6

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by general View Post
    phillips amplified speakers. they take 4AA batteries and are plenty loud enough www.amazon.com/Philips-Portable-Speaker-System-1503/dp/B0047Q0G70
    Thanks for that. I wouldn't carry them hiking but there's been many times I wished I had a decent (but cheap) set of speakers for my ipod.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Images

The Sangean DT400W is an AM/FM with a weather radio too.Only weighs 4-5 ozs.It has a nice small speaker or you can use supplied ear buds.I found that other hikers enjoyed getting a real time weather update.The speaker is handy to listen to some NPR news with the evening meal.It costs about 40-50$ but its great when I'm alone.I think Tipi Walter has one too....

Images

Default re: Thru Hiking With A radio?

I bought an unlocked LG Incite smartphone which includes an FM radio. Earbuds are the antennae and the FM app will NOT work without buds or headset plugged in. I'm not planning on music, but to get weather updates. I find weather information sorely lacking along the trail. The LG Incite also has wifi and I have bookmarked several weather sites for quick access when I get a public wifi signal.

Since all mobile phones are essentially radios, I can't understand why FM and weather alert capabilities aren't built in to all mobile phones. Seems a no brainer.
    Appalachian Trail Online Course
    http://at-trail.blogspot.com
    Information and resources for the A.T. hiker

Follow @section_hiking on Twitter
    http://Twitter.com/Section_Hiking

Quote Originally Posted by mountainboogey View Post
    Does anyone have any good radio suggestions? Is it even worth the effort and weight? I have an ipod, but dont really use it. Id rather listen to the radio (npr) or something similar.
    I have a tiny little radio that takes a single battery, has a wire with earpiece, and only weighs like a couple of ounces. I figured it would be great to use for weather alerts/emergencies. Think I found it at a dollar store

I hope I'n not subject to having to listen to someone's radio on the trail. Most folks go there to get away from noise. JMHO

Images

Quote Originally Posted by FarmRookie 2015 View Post
    I hope I'n not subject to having to listen to someone's radio on the trail. Most folks go there to get away from noise. JMHO
    If you stay at a shelter, there may be a whole bunch of things going on you are trying to "get away" from.....

aka Kudzu
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyjohnson2043 View Post
    If you have a smartphone you could just download Pandora. Battery power is the only thing I'd worry about in that case.
    This assumes you have an internet connection over which to stream. You'd be better off having music downloaded to the phone instead. But I do love Pandora.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    This assumes you have an internet connection over which to stream. You'd be better off having music downloaded to the phone instead. But I do love Pandora.
    I thought of that right after I posted it. Oh well. Pandora is the bomb, though.

I do agree with RARMrookie...I deff dont want to hear someone elses radio, but I was more interested in weather/news. I have an uber small sandisk, but it just has FM not AM...not sure how much FM signal you can get though? how does the weather thing work anyway?

Diddo on the not wanting to hear someone elses music. I'm very picky about my music (rock, rock, rock, and more rock). I remember reading a story about a guy who set up camp in a very remote area only to hear obvious music echoing across the landscape. Noise can travel a long distance in the right conditions. Enough about that, though. I'm sure you'll be courteous toward the other hikers. What about those wind up weather radios. Are they too heavy or too much of a pain in the ass?

I've been looking at this little guy for a while now.. http://www.amazon.com/FR160B-Microli...=38S2APEKQTMA7 ..had something similar, though larger and heavier when living in a mud hut, thought the crank broke; the ability to listen to the radio, get weather updates, have a flashlight, charge up a cell phone, and not have to worry about batteries was very nice.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mountainboogey View Post
    I do agree with RARMrookie...I deff dont want to hear someone elses radio, but I was more interested in weather/news. I have an uber small sandisk, but it just has FM not AM...not sure how much FM signal you can get though? how does the weather thing work anyway?
    On the Sangean radio it has the NOAA weather feature which gets reports from several local offical sites.It can be set to sound an alarm if conditions turn nasty.This is helpful if the sun is out where you are and some bad weather is on it's way...

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    I think Tipi Walter has one too....
    I think he has the 2 lb winterized model....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++