WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I use a Sony Walkman SRFM37W. Save the included headphones for biking and use ear buds for hiking. About $30 at Wally World. AM, FM, Weather. They use to pick up local TV but that stopped after TV signals went digital.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

in 98 & 99 i used a manual(non digital) sony walkman am/fm on the trail
    it was small and used 1 double A
    alot of the digitals would skip right past stations you could pick up with the manual one. i remember one time laying in my tent, i picked up around 40 different channels/stations. Now i use a mp3 player for work & the gym thats chargable
    but use a mp3 player thats run by 1 double A when im hiking, so i don't have to go to a library or hostel to recharge

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

On my 1992 thru, i carried a radio that was about 1/2 inch thick and the size of a credit card. I was chastised for having it, but when we got hit by a blizzard in the Smokies and I was the only one that knew it was coming, suddenly Walkmans and little radios started popping up everywhere.

http://bamahiker.blog.com/ Freedom Walker's Avatar
    Images

My MP3 player has an FM radio so I have the options of listening to my own music selections or picking up a local radio station should there be one available. My biggest problem with this unit is that I will need a computer to recharge the battery. This would not be a problem on most section hikes because battery has around 25 hours of playing life. However it is paid for, so I will keep it for now.
    Freedom Walker, I am free to Walk, I am free to Run, I m free to live for You Lord Jesus, I am FREE!

He who the Son sets free, is free indeed.
    Visit my blog Free To Hike

Images

Thumbs down May not be worth it

Quote Originally Posted by pcasebere View Post
    I've been looking at this little guy for a while now.. http://www.amazon.com/FR160B-Microli...=38S2APEKQTMA7 ..had something similar, though larger and heavier when living in a mud hut, thought the crank broke; the ability to listen to the radio, get weather updates, have a flashlight, charge up a cell phone, and not have to worry about batteries was very nice.
    I had this Microlink FR160 radio and sold it. I took it on a couple trips, It weighs over a half pound and the dynamo crank does work but you would have to do a lot of work, After the charge was depleted, I never got it to play for more than 5 minutes and that was with a fair amount of cranking. The only real way to get a good charge outdoors is through the solar cell but it needs several hours of direct sunlight. On the trail, It would be virtually useless dead weight unless you have it exposed to constant sunlight.
    I replaced it with this:
    Sangean DT-200X FM-Stereo AM/FM Digital Tuning Personal Receiver

Uses AA batteries, Gets excellent reception, Has a clock, Speaker, Ear buds, Belt clip, Antenna, Auto shut-off and weighs 6 ounces.
    If you love music like I do, It's worth the weight!!
    Last edited by Mountain Wildman; 04-02-2011 at 14:00.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Wildman View Post

Uses AA batteries, Gets excellent reception, Has a clock, Speaker, Ear buds, Belt clip, Antenna, Auto shut-off and weighs 6 ounces.
    If you love music like I do, It's worth the weight!!
    What they need to do is put all this stuff on a SPOT......

<I need to go do something - you know it's a slow day when you sit around and make wisecracks on WB.......>

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DapperD View Post
    I have a tiny little radio that takes a single battery, has a wire with earpiece, and only weighs like a couple of ounces. I figured it would be great to use for weather alerts/emergencies. Think I found it at a dollar store
    That's what I used on my 2001 thru. I brought it at Radio Shack for around $10. Glad I had it on 9-11.
    Grampie-N->2001

I have a Sansa MP3 player that also has FM radio. Got it at Target. Don't know what it weighs, but is less than a square inch and so can't be much

Eton FR150. Solar and crank plus you can charge via USB if availble. Listening to base ball games at night is a wonderful way to pass the time. Having the Weather Band is invaluble as well. Try and get that on your I pod. Extra flash light nice to have too. Oh and you can charge a cell phone with it if need be. I, leave the 8 oz of water behind to cary this baby.

Breaker 1-9 we got a bear in the grass taking pictures.

You can stream Pandora on 3g though, so its not that big of a deal. I would say go for the smart phone if you can. Phone, GPS, journal (if you really wanted to), log, maps, radio, phone calls, the whole 9. Worth it.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

I recommend this one

But great discussion. Certainly seems like a good idea to have one. I wonder if even at the dollar store you could find a small portable radio these days.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++