WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: 1st AT Hike

Journal Entries

Smile 1st AT Hike

HI. I plan on doing a two night three day hike at the end of may on the AT. This will be my first hike on the AT and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good hike????? Thank you much!!!

http://bamahiker.blog.com/ Freedom Walker's Avatar
    Images

How far to you want to drive? If you are coming from Wake forest, its seems the closest place of the AT may in SNP.
    Freedom Walker, I am free to Walk, I am free to Run, I m free to live for You Lord Jesus, I am FREE!

He who the Son sets free, is free indeed.
    Visit my blog Free To Hike

Images

SNP is some of the worst hiking on the AT. You're right by Skyline Drive the entire time and a lot of the trail is a briar tunnel and really rocky. I'd go to either the Roan or Grayson Highlands area, the Smokies, or include a section that would take you over Max Patch or Big Bald. Epic hiking!!!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by brian039 View Post
    SNP is some of the worst hiking on the AT. You're right by Skyline Drive the entire time and a lot of the trail is a briar tunnel and really rocky.
    HUh?

Is this the AT were talking about in Shenandoah? True it does go by the Skyline Drive at times (certainly not the entire time) but in no way is it a briar tunnel (the PATC does a great job of maintaining it; its the crown jewel for them) or rocky at all (can you really compare it to parts like PA? - you kidding?)!

Though the best times to do SNP is in the fall or spring.
    Last edited by Blissful; 04-01-2011 at 19:56.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Last year the Southern 40ish miles was attrocious with undergrowth when I went through in late May. Briars, Blackberry thickets, and shin deep grass galore. I agree the PATC is the best when it comes to trail maintenance but maybe they had neglected this section last year and that's all I have to base my opinion on. I thought the trail through SNP was the rockiest at that point of my thru. Now when I got to Front Royal and points north it brought a whole new meaning to the word "rocky" but I'm trying to look at this from the perspective of someone who is doing their first section on the AT. And I can't think of any section on the AT that crosses a paved road more frequently than SNP.

In any case, I'd hate for someone who lives so close to truly grand hiking destinations on the AT to pick SNP as their debut hike. There are some real nice trails in SNP but not on the AT.

Images

Can't figure why I like hiking the AT through SNP so much. I've taken 100's of photos of this beautiful section, and enjoyed it immensely. I've meet some awesome folks through there, and have always, always had a great time.

Actually, I can't think of a section of the AT that I didn't enjoy. All in perspective I guess. I was just glad to be out hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by brian039 View Post
    include a section that would take you over Max Patch or Big Bald. Epic hiking!!!
    He knows of what he speaks. Did Sams Gap to Big Bald and back last year in a day. Good times. I'm from Raleigh N.C. was in Erwin TN, hiked, and back in Raleigh in a long weekend.

SNP isn't all that exciting.

Absolutely go to Grayson Highlands.

i have to agree with brian,not that the trail was covered in briars and brush but i just did'nt like crossing skyline drive what like 30 times.i have'nt covered all the trail yet but i really enjoyed the first part of north carolina deep gap to fontana dam

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    SNP isn't all that exciting.

Absolutely go to Grayson Highlands.
    im heading to grayson in 2 weeks might be my new favorite i'll let you know

I'm in Greensboro...Grayson Highlands is the closest and a great spot. There is a nice loop you can do on top so you don't have to mess with shuttles. The views are awesome and the wild ponies are interesting.

You could also go to Damascus and get a shuttle to take you north ( 3 hiking days worth), and then hike back. You can do a similar deal with Hot Springs, which is North of Asheville.

Grayson Highlands would be my first recommendation unless you wanted the experience of hiking to a destination. It's a favorite destination of people around here.

This side of the dirt
    Images

Another vote for Grayson.

My plans as of right now are to start on 4/18 at MT Rogers HQ and hike back to Damascus.
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing." Abraham Lincoln (1855)

++ New Posts ++