WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mileage per day

Images

I've run a bunch of marathons, though I have limited experience in long distance hiking thus far. Beyond being fit weight and cardio-wise, I agree with 10-K that knowing your body and what it is and isn't capable of is an advantage. I agree with the school of thought that once you get to a certain level of fitness, the mental aspect of any long distance or endurance endeavor is critical to not only performance but enjoyment. I expect having multiple experiences of having pushed my body and mind for a long time after fatigue sets in would be a big advantage in a long distance hike - especially as compared to someone who had never before been to that point physically or mentally.
    The future does not belong to the faint-hearted.
    It belongs to the brave.
    - Ronald Reagan, January 28, 1986.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I only have 1 rule: No dinner if I didn't get in 20...

You must have had an ayce buffet when you did Kinsman / Franconia Ridge.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

10K made an excellent post - you COULD start by doing say 20 mile days or more but unless you are a very experienced hiker (not runner) you will likely get injured and / or will not be able to sustain the pace, besides, it is fun to walk the AT at a more relaxing pace, take photographs, socialize a bit at the shelters, etc. Start by walking the GA section in 6 days - this is NOT a slouchy pace - it is a fair amount faster than most people start - you will then probably feel like walking though about Irwin, TN at about a 14-15 m.p.d. pace -- later, you will be TRAIL conditioned properly to do 20s, 25s and 30s in good style and enjoy them. Hike your own hike, but this is my strong suggestion for a pretty fast hike. If you start too fast early, it is likely you will go slower, get injured, or get tired, miserable, burn-out, or not make it for some other reason.

Garlic
    Images

If this is your first hike, you're going to need some time to get used to trail life. Not only do you walk all day, but you need to eat, bathe, take care of skin issues that tend to crop up, do laundry, have some fun, socialize, go shopping, find an internet computer, call home, find fuel for your stove, replace gear once in a while, take a day off to meet family who flew out to see you--in short, you need to keep a sustainable pace and keep living a life for nearly 4 months. That all takes considerable time and effort, and experience helps it go smoothly. You don't even know if your shoes and gear are the right stuff to hold up for thousands of miles, and replacing/repairing gear takes time. The hikers who can keep that kind of pace at the start of the AT usually have some long trail experience already--not all, but most. Oh yeah, the packs are usually less than 20 pounds fully loaded, too. For two people, it's more than twice as hard, too--little issues tend to multiply. You're not crazy, but the cards are kinda stacked against you. Best of luck, though.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I agree with the other posters that distance runners who've never backpacked often have trouble adjusting to the trail. IMO it's partly they've never had to pay a lot of attention to foot placement. an experienced hiker is looking at the trail ahead unconsciously deciding where to put each foot several steps in advance and their legs "know" how to step on or over each root or rock without slipping. if you aren't used to this, it's going to take a lot of effort, both mentally and physically - the muscles used for fine control of foot placement are not strong in distance runners, and can quickly get fatigued, making people more likely to slip and forcing them to slow down more than they ever dreamed. The strong power muscles of a great distance runner aren't trained for the fine control needed for coming down a rocky trail.
    I agree with the other posters it's good to start slow if you're not used to it, but if you've already done a lot of trail running, it's likely to be an easier adjustment. Personally, I'm in the camp of those who like to start off fairly hard, with 20+ mile days that seem to burn off the accumulated stresses of life. OTOH, I've only section hiked in the past, up to 2 wk trips, and it's no big deal to be sore at the end of that time. Up to a point, sore is good. I'll find out soon if this approach works on a thru! Anyway, if I get too sore doing this, I'll just take a 0.

Images

Default No doubt, this has been true for me...

Quote Originally Posted by blitz1 View Post
    I agree with the other posters that distance runners who've never backpacked often have trouble adjusting to the trail. IMO it's partly they've never had to pay a lot of attention to foot placement. an experienced hiker is looking at the trail ahead unconsciously deciding where to put each foot several steps in advance and their legs "know" how to step on or over each root or rock without slipping. if you aren't used to this, it's going to take a lot of effort, both mentally and physically - the muscles used for fine control of foot placement are not strong in distance runners, and can quickly get fatigued, making people more likely to slip and forcing them to slow down more than they ever dreamed. The strong power muscles of a great distance runner aren't trained for the fine control needed for coming down a rocky trail.
    I agree with the other posters it's good to start slow if you're not used to it, but if you've already done a lot of trail running, it's likely to be an easier adjustment. Personally, I'm in the camp of those who like to start off fairly hard, with 20+ mile days that seem to burn off the accumulated stresses of life. OTOH, I've only section hiked in the past, up to 2 wk trips, and it's no big deal to be sore at the end of that time. Up to a point, sore is good. I'll find out soon if this approach works on a thru! Anyway, if I get too sore doing this, I'll just take a 0.
    I've slipped a time or two on this account. My slightly slew left foot plays a role too, I think. Still getting used to watching where I step.....
    The future does not belong to the faint-hearted.
    It belongs to the brave.
    - Ronald Reagan, January 28, 1986.

thanks everyone. I do have plenty experience backpacking also...but never of this magnitude. its always been a weekend/week at a time.
    you all made great points I will consider.

A lot of testoterone on this forum. 15 miles a day is much more the norm for the average on the trail. And when it comes to starting it is more like 8-10. The biggest reason for dropping out is starting too fast.

Quote Originally Posted by FatMan View Post
    A lot of testoterone on this forum. 15 miles a day is much more the norm for the average on the trail. And when it comes to starting it is more like 8-10. The biggest reason for dropping out is starting too fast.
    Amen to that!!!

I found back-to-back 30 mile days pretty hard on my body on the PCT. Not only was it hard on my body but it would make my hiker hunger even more unbearable. Keeping it around 25 was a lot better for me.

What I found is that I had a pretty consistent 2.5 mile pace. This pace didn't vary much between steep ups or downs or even flats. So basically, if I hiked 10 measly hours per day, no matter what, I was going to do 25 miles. You should figure out what your backpacking pace is and then simply do the math to see if the pace is in the realm of possibility for you. Then the only thing left is to figure out if your body can take that many hours of walking day after day, which you won't really know until you hit the trail.

For your comparison, I was 43-44 at the time and not a marathon runner and just an ordinary, flabby woman who does a lot of day hiking and carried an ultralight kit.

By the way, I asked a similar question here once and someone PM'd me, saying that he normally would be blasted in the forum for saying so, but that consistent 20 mile days would be no problem on the AT and that most people can't do it on the AT because a) they socialize too much and b) they carry heavy gear and c) they just don't hike the entire day.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FatMan View Post
    ...or a lot of in-shape, experienced backpackers?

15 MPD is the norm of the AT. Come out West. We believe in hiking on a backpacking trip.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    that consistent 20 mile days would be no problem on the AT and that most people can't do it on the AT because a) they socialize too much and b) they carry heavy gear and c) they just don't hike the entire day.
    Exactly!

I've said it many times before..stopping to smell the roses usually just means get out camp no earlier than 9am, stop at 5pm (usually in a three-sided lean-to), and spend a lot of time in town. No wonder why 10 MPD is average...
    Last edited by Mags; 04-03-2011 at 21:56.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post

By the way, I asked a similar question here once and someone PM'd me, saying that he normally would be blasted in the forum for saying so, but that consistent 20 mile days would be no problem on the AT and that most people can't do it on the AT because a) they socialize too much and b) they carry heavy gear and c) they just don't hike the entire day.
    I would agree with this in general noting that there are a few exceptions.

A lot of people who could in theory hike 20 mpd either just don't want to.

Nothing wrong with that, but 20 miles a day is not like the sound barrier or anything - it's just a number.

Images

Fatman - I do 8-10 miles before my second cup of testosterone!

Images

If you start out doing 15 mile days, you will be cranking out 25 mile days through the mid atlantic states no problem...

try going on a 20 mile day hike on a hilly route. I'm a runner also, but I find running and hiking different. Even without a pack you use different muscles. From long distance running you have certain callouses built up on your feet. When backpacking your boots or sneakers will stress different areas, like maybe the heels or top of your toes.

From running you are in good cardio shape and are certainly not overweight. Your "core" muscles will strengthen when backpacking. The muscles supporting your knees may need to be built up.

I don't mean to be negative, but just want to emphasize the difference. I find running 10 miles much easier than walking 10...(i run more than i walk)

Quote Originally Posted by mountainboogey View Post
    Im just curiois what kind of daily mileage people are doing on a NOBO. Im trying to plan things for next year starting in March. Im a marathon runner and in pretty good shape, not sure if that helps. Im also anticipating a full pack weight of + 30lbs and traveling with a partner. Am I crazy to think about 20-30mi day average? Im thinking less miles per day south of Damascus and North of Greylock, but we'd be able to cruise through the mid section....
    A pack over 30lbs, averaging close to 30 miles per day starting out? Have you ever walked a 30 mile day over mountains with 30lbs on your back before? I would try this and then go from there.

I haven't done many 30's, only a few, but done plenty of 25-28's, alot depends on you and how your body deals with hiking, your running will help but probably not nearly as much as you might think.

30 miles is a long day for most people...

Images

A big factor for me in the beginnging that I haven't seen mentioned yet, was the amount of daylight. In march, you will have significantly less daylight to hike in than a few months later. It is getting dark at 5:00 and you need to set up camp and eat dinner before that.(If you enjoy night hiking, this statement isn't true). So, I found the shorter days to be one of the four main limiting factors when I started my thru hike, along with not being in trail shape, carrying extra winter weight, and the rough terrain in the south.

Running and climbing mountains are very different. I know plenty of runners who avoid hills like the plague during training, who get out on hilly trails and fall apart. Some carryover, but not as much as you think. Even if a runner did train hills, you never encounter a 1-2 hour sustained climb running or in a race, like you would hiking.

Interesting discussion on hiking versus running. I did both for years but eventually needed to reduce the overall use and trauma to my legs. I chose to quit running last summer and while it was really tough mentally, my legs have never felt better. I did notice that keeping my trail legs is slightly harder now but worth it in the big picture. I started running in my early thirties but now at 44 (almost 45), it's clear that I don;t have the genetics to do it long term. Besides, backpacking is more fun.

I would disagree with the sentiment that runners avoid hills. I never did and routinely see trail runners in the Smokies doing 2000 and even 4000 foot ascents while running. Oh, they cuss, but they do it.

Start easy. Being a marathon runner you'll be able to do big miles. But start with 10-12. I didn't have a marathon background but ran cross country including a little in college. Had been 3 years since I ran but that experience I feel still puts you more in tune with your body than others IMO. You know what pains are important and what aren't and didn't take me long to get my "wind" back. I started picking up miles in the smokies then never looked back. You should have no problem doing a sub 4 month thru hike(if that's what you want). But Keeping the mileage low till around hot springs is a good idea and will only help you succeed your goal though you may feel it's putting you behind at first. 2189 miles is a lot of ground to get back on pace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GAME '16 4/18/16-8/12/16
    Trailjournal: http://www.trailjournals.com/jjdontplay
    Blog (Post Trail Gear Reviews): https://keeppushingon.wordpress.com/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++