WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Mileage per day

Quote Originally Posted by The Counselor View Post
    I've run a bunch of marathons, though I have limited experience in long distance hiking thus far. Beyond being fit weight and cardio-wise, I agree with 10-K that knowing your body and what it is and isn't capable of is an advantage. I agree with the school of thought that once you get to a certain level of fitness, the mental aspect of any long distance or endurance endeavor is critical to not only performance but enjoyment. I expect having multiple experiences of having pushed my body and mind for a long time after fatigue sets in would be a big advantage in a long distance hike - especially as compared to someone who had never before been to that point physically or mentally.
    A lot of variables. Some people get sucked into zeros and enjoy that (really affects your pace), some are ill-prepared, some get chronic injuries, etc. Very possible for 20s in may parts though! Good to have some extra time built into your schedule in case something doesn't go quite as planned

Maybe better to think in terms of miles per week.

15 MPD is kind of a magic number. It's what you get when you divide 2185 miles by 150 days or so.

Most thru hikers start at 10+ MPD for the first few weeks, by Erwin or Damascus they're averaging 15 and pulling occasional 20 MPDs. After Harpers Ferry, they do high-teens routinely without thinking about it. In the White Mountains and southern Maine, they might dial it back a bit. Best I could ever pull off long term was 15 MPD, and that was really only in the middle third of the AT.

I wonder if the OP ever did his hike? I mean, he posted this 6 years ago

GA-ME Feb. 27th–July 1st, 2016 lwhikerchris's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FatMan View Post
    A lot of testoterone on this forum. 15 miles a day is much more the norm for the average on the trail. And when it comes to starting it is more like 8-10. The biggest reason for dropping out is starting too fast.
    Thru hiking increases testosterone...

https://www.outsideonline.com/212503...body-thru-hike
    John GoodMan

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    I follow his vlog. He ended up averaging 0.5 MPD and is still finishing the trail. 2000 days in

I follow his vlog. He ended up averaging 0.5 MPD and is still finishing the trail. 2000 days in

Oh snap didn't notice that when I posted.. good ole Tapatalk I usually just hit the newest post assuming it's current

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GAME '16 4/18/16-8/12/16
    Trailjournal: http://www.trailjournals.com/jjdontplay
    Blog (Post Trail Gear Reviews): https://keeppushingon.wordpress.com/

I just came back from section hiking - in cool weather - from Neels to Winding stair gap.
    77 miles in 5 1/2 days.
    I was under the gun on time in and out.

I had planned on 6 days but rain coming moved me a bit faster.
    Last day starting at 8am and finishing at 1:30pm was 12 miles.

But if you are thru hiking start at 8 - 10 for the first 4 days and then see how your body feels.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++