WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Marmot Mica Jacket??????

Trying to decide between the Marmot pre-cip (12 oz) or the Mica (7 oz). Any thoughts????????

Thanks Much,

Q-tip

Images

I own them both, prefer the Mica,its much more breathable, although there are no pitzips. Kept me dry and comfortable under a 35lb pack in the Mahoosucs last summer.The rpecip now stays home.

^^Agreed^^ I also own the Mica and love it, I was able to get rid of my polypro top and use the Mica as a base layer when it got really cold on the PCT.

Side note: I have been looking at the North Face Verto Jacket (3.2 oz) but have yet to see one in person so I can not give a true review of it.

Let us know which one you choose and how it works for you.

AT 2012

the new mica has pit zips and weighs 2 more ounces. and costs more. lots of last year's models on sale now.
    Lazarus

Images

Bought the Mica Yesterday--supposed to be delivered Friday in advance of a short weekend hike on NY AT.. I will let you know...

Have both/Mica doesn't compare to the Precip as they're really designed for different conditions per Marmot...that said, the Mica has utility in a greater number of circumstances so I've found and finds a spot in my pack given that I use MUCH lighter DriDucks instead of the Precip jacket.

I typically use the Mica as both a wind and rain jacket. Can't really say I would want to do that with the less breathable and heavier PreCip. I don't miss the pit zips on the Mica. I used to think pit zips were necessary. To each their own, but IMO, I don't miss the pit zips at all.

Images

I got the Mica and used it this weekend on the AT in NY---Excellent....

I just got the Mica, but the guy at Rock/Creek was telling me I really need to consider Gore-Tex in a jacket because anything less than Gore-Tex will probably not make it through a full thru-hike. Any opinions on this? Would something as thin as a Mica make it the whole way with me?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RyanK817 View Post
    I just got the Mica, but the guy at Rock/Creek was telling me I really need to consider Gore-Tex in a jacket because anything less than Gore-Tex will probably not make it through a full thru-hike. Any opinions on this? Would something as thin as a Mica make it the whole way with me?
    Gore tex is bogus, if its hot out you'll sweat to death. I took the Mica to the Mahoosucs last year, its easily the most breathable jkt ive come across, and kept me dry as a bone.Gore-tex is fine in cool or cold weather, but not very effective when its hot, unless youre just out for a leisurely stroll. Graet for sidewalk use. Take the Mica.Iver only had it less than a year, but if it hold up like the Precip, I dont think you'll have any durability issue.And I would consider the Precip again before I would take gore tex.

I like the sounds of the Mica, just read a few reviews and haven't seen any negatives yet. My question with this jacket is the pants, does marmot make a simular fabric style for pants? if not, any suggestions??

Images

you'll pay double for the Mica, I think, but if money is no object, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    you'll pay double for the Mica, I think, but if money is no object, why not?
    As opposed to Gore-tex it may be just the answer for the performance

++ New Posts ++