WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Bear Mountain Trails

Hiked Bear Mountain over this past weekend. I've hiked Bear mountain quite a few times but this was the first when the trails were completely re-routed on both sides.

Stairs everywhere... I mean everywhere. I understand why they did the stairs.... I still dont particularly like them.

The re-route on the south west side makes for a much more scenic walk. Really great views of the peaks and valleys of Harriman. It also takes you off the original route of walking down perkins drive for like a 1/4 mile so you dont really do any road walking... the trail leads you directly on your way to west mountain.

However there was a price to pay for that re-route.... zero water sources on Bear Mountain unless you consider going to the Bear Mountain Inn bathrooms. There used to be 2-3 water sources on your way to perkins drive now you're SOL until you get to west mountain.

All in all I liked it for the scenery. Definitely get updated maps though.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    Hiked Bear Mountain over this past weekend. I've hiked Bear mountain quite a few times but this was the first when the trails were completely re-routed on both sides.

Stairs everywhere... I mean everywhere. I understand why they did the stairs.... I still dont particularly like them.

The re-route on the south west side makes for a much more scenic walk. Really great views of the peaks and valleys of Harriman. It also takes you off the original route of walking down perkins drive for like a 1/4 mile so you dont really do any road walking... the trail leads you directly on your way to west mountain.

However there was a price to pay for that re-route.... zero water sources on Bear Mountain unless you consider going to the Bear Mountain Inn bathrooms. There used to be 2-3 water sources on your way to perkins drive now you're SOL until you get to west mountain.

All in all I liked it for the scenery. Definitely get updated maps though.
    I recently was on a overnight trip in that section (Elk Pen to Rt 9). The very nice re-route was a lot of hard work by a lot of volunteers but all those stairs can be knee killers. I had enough stairs for one day (after 17 miles) and I found a stealth site for the hammock just north of Perkins over looking the Hudson. Water wasn't a issue for me as I usually carry a liter or two, I'm not the UL type and the Catalyst carries 28 pounds nicely.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I got lost on the reroute SOBO last fall. Walked half the road. Stunk

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

We came down the re-route last Spring before the official opening and a more impressive piece of trail building hasn't been completed since the WPA days in Shenandoah. I understand that that particular section of footpath sees a huge number of hikers each year and that the steepness and soil conditions required such a massive and permanent "road" to prevent further damage. Those guys did a super job using a minimum of power machinery and my hat's off to them! Thank You!
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

I have not been there in a long time, but those who don't like the new trail have several other routes they can enjoy. The Suffern-Bear Mountain Trail is a close parallel route to/from West Mountain
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

vending machines near the parking lot at the top sell 20 oz waters for $1.50. expensive way to water up. also on offer -- pringles

++ New Posts ++