WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default MA AT Section Apr-May

Looking for a fellow traveler to hike Massachusetts AT from CT line to Vermont. Starting late April (after Easter/Passover) and ending about 2 weeks later. I've completed the AT by sections about 1.5 times at this point.

See post regarding snow conditions, Search Keyword: Berkshires. Most of it will probably be gone by the end of the month, except Mt Greylock. The summit road and lodge won't be open 'till later in May. There will be mud and stuff here and there. Bugs will be minimal, and there will be early spring ephemerals out.

Cosmo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cvkimball View Post
    Looking for a fellow traveler to hike Massachusetts AT from CT line to Vermont. Starting late April (after Easter/Passover) and ending about 2 weeks later. I've completed the AT by sections about 1.5 times at this point.

I could do portions of it with you, maybe start, middle and finish, something like that. But work won't allow for weekdays.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

post dates may be seriously interested in takin some time from work if possible.

Default Tentative dates for MA AT hike

I'm up at daylight and no speeding bullet. Carrying about 30 lb, total. Current, flexible plan:

Start Tuesday 26 Apr -> Glen Brook S
    ->Tom Leonard, 27 Apr
    ->Mt Wilcox N (or Shaker C), 28 Apr
    Resupply Tyringham
    -> Upper Goose Pond Cabin, Friday, 29 Apr
    -> October Mtn S, Saturday, 30 Apr
    -> Kay Wood S, Sunday, 1 May
    -> Cheshire, 2 May, Resupply, 0
    -> Wilbur Clearing S, 4 May
    ->Seth Warner S, 5 May
    -> Congdon S, 6 May
    ->VT 9 on Saturday, 7 May. Return to CT.

107.8 miles, 10 mile/day, max 14.3, min 7.1.

Images

I may be able to join you for part of:

-> Upper Goose Pond Cabin, Friday, 29 Apr
    -> October Mtn S, Saturday, 30 Apr
    -> Kay Wood S, Sunday, 1 May

and for:

->VT 9 on Saturday, 7 May. Return to CT.

If you need a ride, I could hike south from VT 9 and meet up with you wherever and hike back north to the car. Or I could two-car it with a friend. It'll be a nice opportunity for me to fill in part of my gaps - I've covered Lion's Head to Elbow Trail, Jones Nose to Wilbur Clearing and Stratton-Arlington to summit. I intend to fill in as much as possible this year, all the way down to CT/NY line.

Images

If Your resupply in is Tyringham make sure it's a postal supply - I don't remember seeing any stores there, also i believe the post office hours are limited..

Default Contacting cvkimball

I can be reached at the e-mail address at cvkimball.com.

There's not much use back-hiking from VT 9, as I'll be staying at the Congdon S which is 4.3 miles from VT9. I'd be glad to see you at Upper Goose Pond.

The PO hours in Tyringham are a known problem. The Shaker campsite option makes it more likely to be there on time.

Images

There's not much use back-hiking from VT 9, as I'll be staying at the Congdon S which is 4.3 miles from VT9. I'd be glad to see you at Upper Goose Pond.
    OK. I'll see if I can get someone to come along and two-car it with me for day or two around the Pond. I'm looking forward to getting there!

Default Hike DELAYED

Due to miscellaneous factors, not issues, my hike has been delayed probably by a week or so.

Chris Kimball

Images

Due to miscellaneous factors, not issues, my hike has been delayed probably by a week or so.

Chris Kimball
    Thanks for the update. I was out in Salisbury both days this weekend - Bear via Undermtn/AT Sat (got some sleet up top) and Great Falls to Giant's Thumb, back via old AT past Limestone Springs to Sugar Hill Road (extraordinarly pretty trail down to shelter). Starting to warm up out there, but it's taking its time.

Default Was at Brassie Brook Shelter last Thursday, Friday.

I hiked up Undermountain Trail and moved south to the Brassie Brook Shelter, 2.5 miles to set up a portable amateur radio station. The sunny days were great, the night was cold. There were "trace" amounts of snow/ice on Undermountain Trail near the top. They were certainly no impediment to walking, even with a non-AT-style 56 lb pack!

Best,

Chris

Images

I hiked up Undermountain Trail and moved south to the Brassie Brook Shelter, 2.5 miles to set up a portable amateur radio station. The sunny days were great, the night was cold. There were "trace" amounts of snow/ice on Undermountain Trail near the top. They were certainly no impediment to walking, even with a non-AT-style 56 lb pack!
    Were you there yesterday, Chris? U/m and AT to Bear Summit were entirely clear of snow and ice Saturday afternoon, but I believe the rain Sat evening and night probably was snow up on the ridge, thus refreshing the snow up there. Long winter!

Images

HEy, iIM totally down for that.. Ive actually been looking into the mass portion.. I live an hour from the southern trail head. in Holyoke MASS.
    Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
    "Ride," Pleasure said:
    "Walk," Joy replied.
    ~W.H. Davies-

Default Trip completed!

I finished the MA AT last Friday, 13 May. A great trip, but not many hikers on trail.

The best part of the trip were the beaver dams in the VT section between the VT/MA border and VT 9. But look out for very weak blazes, if any, north of the first beaver dam.

Hope everyone gets to the Tom Leonard Shelter before the local porcupine finishes with it. He kept right on eating while we were there. Not a pretty fellow, but responsive to thrown hiking poles.

Thanks to all who participated!

Chris

Images

Congrats. Sounds like a good hike - glad you enjoyed.

++ New Posts ++