WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default bears/bear canister

Just wanted to see what kind of unfortunate/nightmarish encounters people have had throughout various states along the AT with bears. I have hiked a good number of miles on the AT in PA, NJ, NH, and ME. I have never had an encounter in ME,NH, or PA, but I have had a food bag ripped down from solid hang in NJ (near catfish pond).

I have also had two hellacious experiences in the high peaks of the Adirondacks with some of the most evolved black bears you would ever care to see. I have never been back to the high peaks because you literally have to run a gauntlet of bears and rangers for the duration of your trip. I hope someone can back me on that one.

Anyway, shortly after the last daks trip i bought a bear canister, and have had zero issues. It is bulky, kind of expensive, and adds 2-3 pounds to your load. Let me tell you none of that matters to me. Here is why:

-no stress when you get into camp having to throw a hang.
    -no stress going to sleep wondering if you will have food in the morning
    -the bear canister is also a seat
    -did i mention no stress

Also wanted to see who will have a bear canister on the AT.

Going SOBO mid june.

never seen anyone with a canister on the AT. it's not needed. i've never hung food to protect it from bears. never had it taken from my tent. no stress

Only used one in Denali, had to to get the permit. Don't hold much, but hey they got real bears out there.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Since it's not Denali I can only assume the bears I've seen in GSMNP and Mt. Mitchell and the one that ran out in front of my car about 8 miles east of the TN, NC line on Interstate 40 weren't "real" bears... hmm coulda fooled me... never had an issue with bears though....But then again I suppose the big sow with the 2 cubs I walked up on on Welch Ridge in the Smokes weren't "real" either.... just had to point that out... I've always hung my food in plain bags and never had it stolen ..but "fake" bears can't steal food because they aren't really there ..lol..

Images

I can totally understand, but you should seriously consider carrying an Ursack.

Did you use bear canister on Interstate 40?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.

I've used bear canisters out west (doesn't everyone?) but never in the east. done ~ 2/3 or so of the AT section hiking, saw black bear several times, but never lost any food. I've always used bear boxes or cables where provided, otherwise usually sleep with food in tent.

Leave the canister at home and learn the PCT method. No worries...

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...technique.html

Quote Originally Posted by pafarmboy View Post
    Leave the canister at home and learn the PCT method. No worries...

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...technique.html

BTW, forget the stick and trying to tie a clove hitch while reaching as high as possible. THAT is a PITA. I use a small piece of aluminum for the stick and a cord lock to avoid the tieing. Works like a charm and weighs 3 oz total (caribiner, cord, aluminum and cord lock)

I was on a long backpacking trip south of the Smokies back in June of 2010, and a bear got a hold of my food-stuffed BearVault and gave it a good chew. Fotog below.

He worried it to death but never actually opened it.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Don't need one going SOBO. But if I were going through GA in the spring /summer I'd probably carry one. Bears are too used to food bags and food smells the last couple of years.

I'll carry my first one on the JMT this summer. ugh

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I was on a long backpacking trip south of the Smokies back in June of 2010, and a bear got a hold of my food-stuffed BearVault and gave it a good chew. Fotog below.
    He worried it to death but never actually opened it.
    Tipi, just curious how you had it stored? Was anything on top of it? I've never believed a bear couldn't move a rock I could move.

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Did you use bear canister on Interstate 40?
    No....the fake bear saw my fake Oldsmobile coming at him at 70 mph and turned himself / herself inside out getting back into the fake woods...

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    never seen anyone with a canister on the AT. it's not needed. i've never hung food to protect it from bears. never had it taken from my tent. no stress
    A buddy of mine carried a Bearikade for his entire thru in 2004. His logic was for an additional 2 pounds he didn't have to even think about bears, mice, or other varmints getting to his food. He didn't have to spend time in camp trying to find that perfect tree and then the perfect throw. To him the extra two pounds was worth it.

It worked for him.

Personally, I'm with you. I bring my food in my tent. I do use cables if they are handy but I won't hang if cables are not present.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

When I was on the PCT, I actually grew to like my bear canister. When I got to camp I had a great camp stool to sit on at all times. That said, it was heavy, and I was glad to give it up when I did. Still, if I had a lighter weight version, I'd consider carrying it the whole way.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    A buddy of mine carried a Bearikade for his entire thru in 2004. His logic was for an additional 2 pounds he didn't have to even think about bears, mice, or other varmints getting to his food. He didn't have to spend time in camp trying to find that perfect tree and then the perfect throw.
    for 2 lbs. less i don't worry either. don't think about no critters. don't filter or treat water neither. heck, no poles for my bad knees. i'm a stress free walker.

works for me

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    When I was on the PCT, I actually grew to like my bear canister. When I got to camp I had a great camp stool to sit on at all times.
    I have used my Bearikade out West and in Alaska. Alaska for freaking sure. Heck, we didn't take a dump without having a "spotter".

For those areas without any nature seating the can does come in handy as a seat.

I, personally, can't see taking it on the AT, but I have no fear of taking my food in my tent. I'll even take my partner's food in my tent if they can't find a good tree. If I did have such a fear I think the can would be a decent option to the chore of hanging. We do hear EVERY year about folks losing their food to poor hanging. Proper hanging can be difficult at times, especially if one had rotator cuff issues.......
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I, personally, can't see taking it on the AT,
    Yeah, me neither... I've always kept my food in my tent on the AT, or hung/boxed in areas with bear poles/boxes. But PCT if I found a light enough option, I would consider it.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Tipi, just curious how you had it stored? Was anything on top of it? I've never believed a bear couldn't move a rock I could move.
    I had my vault stored in a cache behind a tree rootball for a later pickup on a long 18 day trip, so it wasn't actually in my camp when it happened. The bear rolled it about 150 feet and I found it in some high grass where I figured the bear would be waiting to eat the owner of a bear vault. Bear 1 Hominid 0.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I had my vault stored in a cache behind a tree rootball for a later pickup on a long 18 day trip, so it wasn't actually in my camp when it happened. The bear rolled it about 150 feet and I found it in some high grass where I figured the bear would be waiting to eat the owner of a bear vault. Bear 1 Hominid 0.
    Now that's magic, the fact that you found it. From what I've seen of your blogs and photos, part of you probably wishes you could have watched him play ball with it. (from a safe distance)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++