WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tent ideas?

Official weights from the manufacturers

Half Dome 2
    Fly +Footprint = 3lbs 13oz
    average min = 5lbs
    average packaged = 5lbs 8 oz
    Fly / footprint pitch weight3 lbs. 13 oz. Average minimum weight5 poundsAverage packaged weight5 lbs. 8 oz.

MSR Hubba Hubba
    Fly +Footprint = 3lbs
    average min = 4lbs
    average packaged = 4lbs 8 oz
    Fly / footprint pitch weight3 lbs. 13 oz. Average minimum weight5 poundsAverage packaged weight5 lbs. 8 oz.

essentially the same tent room/function wise.
    ~Christy

sorry about the additional c&P it wasn't showing when I was typing I thought it wasn't coming through - can't edit becasue I am not a contributing member.
    ~Christy

Images

Steep and Cheap has been running the Alps Zephyer 1.0 AL for about $70. Got my wife one last summer and it's been great. Narrow, but has good head room. She's 5'2" and I'm 6'2" and we each can fit, but probably not together. 3 lbs 10 oz or so. (I hammock, though.) Picked up another a couple of weeks ago, just in case.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

I see HH mentioned often here and maybe I missed it but I do not see the Hubba Hubba HP mentioned. I think it shaves about another pound off the Hubba Hubba. Of course it also adds about $150. Any lighter and I think you'll have to lose your attachment to free standing or sacrafice some space. Sorry if you work for a competitor Scope but the HubbaHubba HP is the tent the original poster is looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockhound View Post
    I see HH mentioned often here and maybe I missed it but I do not see the Hubba Hubba HP mentioned. I think it shaves about another pound off the Hubba Hubba. Of course it also adds about $150. Any lighter and I think you'll have to lose your attachment to free standing or sacrafice some space. Sorry if you work for a competitor Scope but the HubbaHubba HP is the tent the original poster is looking for.
    I forgot about that one! no longer in production I think but saves 8oz over the regular HH. I remember thinking about getting one (my husband loves the HH and its two doors, room and freestanding) but decided not to spend the cash for 8oz.

but for the OP it could work.
    ~Christy

Default Hubba Hubba HP

I don't think the HP is being made any longer. Additionally, MSR is currently experiencing some production issues with their tents and if you decide to go the new Hubba Hubba route, I'd suggest snatching one up before they're completely sold out. Sounds like it may be later this summer before everything's straightened out...

I asked SMD why they're closing out the Vamp at half price. The reason? They were too expensive to make.

They're replacing it with the "Skyscape", which will be a hybrid doublewall. It should be a little lighter, but like the Lightheart, you won't be able to use the bug tent separately. To me, that seemed like an important feature for the AT, since I plan to use the shelters when I can. I'm sure the Skyscape will be an excellent tent, but the Vamp sounds like a real steal.

Images

How about a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 - I think its packed weight is under 4 lbs - there is a new one - yall know that I too am a big fan of the Hubbas but you asked for a new idea so ......

Images

Really wish MSR would make a Hubba with carbon fiber poles - I have both the Carbon Reflex (non-free standing) and the Regular Hubba (free-standing, but with heavier poles) - seems like the best of both worlds - I've rigged (as in jerry-rigged) my carbon reflex with some cord and such to make it semi- free standing for now.

Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 is 3lb 6oz and is free standing. Easy setup too. Plenty of room for 1 + gear. I didn't want to carry the extra weight so I went with the Fly Creek UL1 at 1lb 14oz. No extra room in this one and I'm just 5'3".
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Images

Default key word

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    HH is a great tent, but IMO it does not significantly do anything more than his current tent does. If I'm not mistaken, the half dome also can be setup in fast fly mode. You can also use a tarp (with bug net if needed).

So folks, can we get off the Hubba Hubba thing already?
    Quote Originally Posted by wystiria View Post
    The HH drops a 1lbs off his half dome - the point of his search. which is why it keeps coming up. his initial weights are from websites and are full packaged weights (even though he lists the HD weight based on his packing). He likes his halfdome becasue it has the room he wants and is freestanding, but he would like to shave a lbs off....which makes the HH fit the bill.

I have no issue with other tents and own plenty - but with that criteria....
    Quote Originally Posted by wystiria View Post
    Official weights from the manufacturers

Half Dome 2
    Fly +Footprint = 3lbs 13oz
    average min = 5lbs
    average packaged = 5lbs 8 oz

MSR Hubba Hubba
    Fly +Footprint = 3lbs
    average min = 4lbs
    average packaged = 4lbs 8 oz

essentially the same tent room/function wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockhound View Post
    ...Sorry if you work for a competitor Scope but the HubbaHubba HP is the tent the original poster is looking for.
    Seriously?!? First, if he has a half dome, he probably doesn't need to be made aware of the HH, don't cha think? It just irks me that so many are posting on the HH when there ARE other options, such as this for the Tarptent Rainbow...

Sleeps 1-2 Weight (oz/kg) 34/0.9 Floor Width (in/cm) 40/102 Floor Length (in/cm) 88/224 Floor Area
    (ft2/m2) 23/2.1 Interior Height (in/cm) 43/109 Price $225

Sufficient room, significant weight savings, and a lot less dough than the HH. Lighthearts are another option although they are not completely free-standing, but they are unlike most other non-freestanding tents - would be worth a look - more expensive but even less weight and interesting design. Saw them recently in Franklin and was impressed.

I suppose I am a "competitor" of sorts... because I hammock!
    But I went through this gyration a while back when I was a ground dweller. Like I said earlier, HH is a great tent, but don't limit your knowledge to what they have at REI.
    Last edited by scope; 04-20-2011 at 17:14.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Six moon design has a new tent coming out. It isnt the biggest but supposed to have tons of head room.

Somewhere out there in internet land is a review of lots of tents weighing less than 4 lbs.

I tried to find the link but was unsuccessful.

After spending two weeks on the PCT I'll keep my Marmot Limelight 2 over the Tarptent my partner had. That wind out there is brutal.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

This side of the dirt
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    How about a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 - I think its packed weight is under 4 lbs - there is a new one - yall know that I too am a big fan of the Hubbas but you asked for a new idea so ......

Another vote here for the BA
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing." Abraham Lincoln (1855)

I have a Big Agnes Fly Creek 2 that is 2 pounds 10 ounces including all the stuff sacks and bags. You could drop a couple ounces by decreasing the packaging. This tent is free standing, but benefits from at least two stakes at the base to extend the tent fabric. It is quite easy to set up, and, like other Big Agnes items I have seen, is well built. I went to this tent from a Copper Creek 2 to save some weight. The Copper Creek 2 easily sleeps 2 people, and is 3 pounds 14 ounces with everything. Both these tents would save a fair bit of weight from the REI tent. I really like the pole systems these tents use: they take a lot of wind and don't seem to mind. The Copper Creek is easy to ventilate, and keeps even blowing mist out. (The Fly Creek has not seen a bad enough storm yet to know, but I expect it will also work well.) I was initially somewhat skeptical that a tent this light could work well, and be durable, but both tents are quite good. I did look at the tarptents, but went to the Fly Creek because it weighed about what I would have had with the tarptent, it was double walled to help with ventilation, and I had such a positive experience with the Copper Spur. The Big Agnes tents are both at REI, so buying them during one of their 20% off promotions makes them even better bargains.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++