WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: I surrender

Yes of course, running red lights on a bike or on foot is as stupid and unsafe as talking while driving, I completely agree.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockhound View Post
    He explained the circumstances under which he used his phone WM. You want to totally escape civilization? Then the AT is not the trail for you. May I suggest you go hike somplace at least as remote as the CDT until you can lighten up.
    That is the same answer every thread has when someone does not like a music instrument "playing", a dog pissing on gear, or someone smoking weed, or having a party, or too many jesus burgers? Go hike somewhere else? I prefer a little trail courtesy and space to hike my hike on any trail.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.

Just got back from a short hike, Woody to Unicoi Gap, with my 9 and 10 year-old sons. It was their first walk and we had a good time and met some really cool folks. We did not sleep in any shelters, partially due to my distaste for mice and for that reasson that Blood Mtn seems to be overrun with folks, regardless of age, that are inconsiderate. Foul mouths bother me almost as much as the trash the was lying about. I can't say for sure that the garbage mouth leaves the garbage, but they were always together. My cell phone doubles as my camera and was a necessity so that Mama Bear knew that we were still alive. We didn't come across any "feeds", but I bet 2 little dudes would have loved it. The great thing about it is that you really can HYOH, you just have to mean it. You can ignore the feeds, the crowds, and so on. Good luck to all of the NOBO thru's we met.

Images

It's none of anyone else's business if another person is talking on a cell phone on a trail in the middle of the woods. Jeez.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Same here...
    I can hike with a phone or I can stay home with a phone.
    Let's go hiking!
    Right on! Clearly, for some people, HYOH has rigid parameters, addenda, and caveats ...
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    That is the same answer every thread has when someone does not like a music instrument "playing", a dog pissing on gear, or someone smoking weed, or having a party, or too many jesus burgers? Go hike somewhere else? I prefer a little trail courtesy and space to hike my hike on any trail.

You are the definition of an "Entitled" hiker. I would much rather run into a cellphone user, an unleashed dog, a weed smoker, a musician, a bible thumper, than somebody who thinks the world revolves around them.

You are the definition of an "Entitled" hiker. I would much rather run into a cellphone user, an unleashed dog, a weed smoker, a musician, a bible thumper, than somebody who thinks the world revolves around them.
    Cool, then I wish you have all of that if it makes you happy. Or just stay at a hostel if that makes you happy. Or just hike another trail if not.

Default irritates...

I can't stand religious or political conversations anytime or anywhere.

I can't wait for our annual "trail magic hiker feed " gig. Hope to see some of you hikers out there.

It's free, we are not doing any preaching and if you want to keep on truckin' by all means keep on truckin'.

Happy trails...

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    It's none of anyone else's business if another person is talking on a cell phone on a trail in the middle of the woods. Jeez.
    True. However, some hikers may liken this to someone who talks away behind you in a movie theatre.
    ad astra per aspera

Cool, then I wish you have all of that if it makes you happy. Or just stay at a hostel if that makes you happy. Or just hike another trail if not.
    Hiking makes me happy. And although we all have our pet peeves, we are each responsible for our own happiness. So rather than saying something like, "my problem is....." and then pointing to the actions of others, perhaps you should be more introspective to find out the real reasons for your misery and anger.

Images

Slow hikers who hog the trail and won't let me pass~!!!
    I've had to fight off the urge to jab em in the butt with my poles~!

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    Slow hikers who hog the trail and won't let me pass~!!!
    I've had to fight off the urge to jab em in the butt with my poles~!
    I'd say go with your urges. It's healthier....for you anyway.

Images

I'd say go with your urges. It's healthier....for you anyway.
    Yeah I probably should. Ive never been one to restrain my feelings/actions.
    Besides if it were to turn out badly for me I can outhike them!

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    some of us are not off when hiking. i keep it on vibrate.
    Good for you. All your gear should be multi-purpose

On my thru hike, it seemed that every time I came across someone taking a break, they were doing it right smack dab in the MIDDLE of the trail. It was so annoying trying to go around them with STUFF spread all about. And every time it happened, they would say "I guess I shouldn't have stopped in the middle of the trail". Duh!!!!

litefoot

Images

If something bothers you then 9 times out of 10 it's YOUR attitude that is the problem. We're all guilty of this from time to time and some more so than others. Just change you're attitude unless something that somebody is doing is actually hurting you or somebody else. It's not worth anybody's time to get worked up over something trivial, plenty of other problems in the world.

The vast majority of people don't really hike the trail for solitude, maybe a few moments here or there, but most people are social. If I had some trail magic set up in the woods and somebody passed it up without speaking, I would find that odd. But I hound them over it. To each their own.

Images

I meant I wouldn't hound them over it.

Quote Originally Posted by brian039 View Post
    If something bothers you then 9 times out of 10 it's YOUR attitude that is the problem. We're all guilty of this from time to time and some more so than others. Just change you're attitude unless something that somebody is doing is actually hurting you or somebody else. It's not worth anybody's time to get worked up over something trivial, plenty of other problems in the world.

The vast majority of people don't really hike the trail for solitude, maybe a few moments here or there, but most people are social. If I had some trail magic set up in the woods and somebody passed it up without speaking, I would find that odd. But I hound them over it. To each their own.
    What pisses me off are the people who make perfectly sound and reasonable statements. Thinkin' they're all that with their common sense and their healthy attitude geesh. some people.

I am neither angry or miserable. I consider myself polite in the old south way. My first step on the trail was on a musician friends place in the Berkshires that he bought with his cash from Woodstock (before a slight relocation the trail ran through it). Love music, if not I can walk out of his house and into the woods. Got nothing against the use of herbs, used it everyday on my thru hike and never in a shelter or along the trail in some ones face. Got nothing against churches, lived in the steeple of one in Housatonic for over a year, I didn't carry the bell with me on the trail. Love dogs took his wife's wolf-shepard with me on day hikes all the time. Her refusal to keep it penned resulted in the neighbor shooting it after it got in the chicken coop. Broke my heart. But it was her business and her dog.
    I don't hate any one for anything they do on the trail.
    But I don't need to be told to hike somewhere else because of a lack of manners in sharing public space.

Images

My problem is people addicted to cell phones. It's bad enough in line at McDonalds or the grocery store. It's bad enough if I'm out biking and 90 % of the time when a car almost hits me and I look at the driver and they got a phone glued to the ear.
    I don't want the hear your business when I'm in the woods.
    What's your problem?
    I would much rather walk past a hiker on a phone and keep on hiking my own hike than to have a car hit me because the idiot driver couldn't pull over to have his conversation. No one said you had to listen in on anyone else's conversations. Just keep on moving on.
    Maple

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++