WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Worst part of the trail for snakes?

Snakes, I hate the damn things. What's the worst part of the trail for them? How often have you seen them? Ever been bothered or attacked?

Hash House Harrier

Pennsylvania. Lots of rocks in the sun means lots of basking rattlers out in the open.
    Though much is taken, much abides, and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
    One equal temper of heroic hearts.

This side of the dirt
    Images

They are there. Copperheads bother me more then rattlers. At least the rattler will try to let you know they are around.

Saw one on the trail going into Harpers Ferry and one going into NY state.

Saw copperhead on the climb p to Dragon Tooth. All of them were right on the trail.
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing." Abraham Lincoln (1855)

aka -OvertheEdge- :)
    Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Images

Snakes do not attack or bother. I Have hiked the AT from DWG, PA to Front Royal VA a lot of it several times the most I have consistently seen snakes is from Swatara Gap to Route 309 and that was mostly Black Snakes, they won't move unless you walk in front of them then they turn and move on Garters will stay very still unless you try to touch them then they may bite but they are non poisonous The dreaded rattlers feel vibration so will for the most part move on before you get there if you hear one rattle backup two steps and go around. Copper Heads are the hardest to see and the most aggressive but they will NOT attack you if you see one simply give it a wide birth and move on. If chances are you will walk by dozens and never even know.
    Alcohol was involved!

PA is the worst, but you'll want to be aware the whole time obviously

Images

It's more likely than not to complete the A.T. in Pennsylvania without ever seeing a venomous snake, but knowing how to identify them and leaving them alone will go a long way toward avoiding any unfortunate incident.

I will be back with my standard reply from Pennsylvania's Fish and Boat Commission and Department of Conservation and Natural Resources I have posted many times before. It's about time ATC provide the information or something similar on its website.

Images

Default Venomous Snakes on the Appalachian Trail

Contrary to what some readers may have heard, there are only two species of venomous snakes found on the Appalachian Trail, timber rattlesnakes and copperheads. As has been pointed out here previously, cottonmouths do not occur north of Virginia and are found only south and east of the A.T. corridor.

In Pennsylvania, both species are protected by law and anyone who wishes to hunt, take, catch, kill or possess timber rattlesnakes and/or copperheads is required to obtain a permit. If people do not approach them within 1 yard (3 feet), they are harmless.

Excellent images have been posted by Herpn to his gallery. He sometimes works with venomous snakes and thought it important we know how to identify them and show them proper respect.

2010 complete

I hate snakes.

Most bites occur on hands and feet, so watch where you step and reach. I wear high top boots and sleep in a snake proof tent.

I saw two rattlesnakes in PA and copperheads in the South.

I enjoy hiking in Maine because there are no poisonous snakes.

Writer/Hiker/Appalachian Trail 2011

Quote Originally Posted by jthue View Post
    Snakes, I hate the damn things. What's the worst part of the trail for them? How often have you seen them? Ever been bothered or attacked?
    This depends on what time of year you hike which section. I've seen rattlers on Tray, but it was hot and they were crawling. Just hiked over Tray a few weeks ago, and it was cold, so there was no chance of seeing a snake.

I've seen several rattlers in PA and in 1999 came close to stepping on one that was in a thatch of grass on the trail. Fortunately I spotted the rattle and stopped mid-step.

I've also seen rattlers in Virginia.

You'll also see copperheads once in a while.

Keep alert and you'll be all right. There are also numerous non-poisonous species on the trail. One of the more interesting ones is the hognose. Google it to discover its peculiar way of dealing with threats.

At one time two blacksnakes lived in the church hostel in Pearisburg. They kept the mouse population down.

I'm not too keen on them either, but have only seen the odd one here and there. The ones I've nearly stepped on seemed just as scared as I was. Poor things...

I do take care, as other posters have mentioned, to watch where I place my hands and feet and do my best to look around before sitting down. I seem to remember one poster along time ago who also suggested looking on the other side of rocks and logs before you put your feet over them. Hmmm...so far so good .

Good luck with your hike!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    Contrary to what some readers may have heard, there are only two species of venomous snakes found on the Appalachian Trail, timber rattlesnakes and copperheads. As has been pointed out here previously, cottonmouths do not occur north of Virginia and are found only south and east of the A.T. corridor.

In Pennsylvania, both species are protected by law and anyone who wishes to hunt, take, catch, kill or possess timber rattlesnakes and/or copperheads is required to obtain a permit. If people do not approach them within 1 yard (3 feet), they are harmless.

Excellent images have been posted by Herpn to his gallery. He sometimes works with venomous snakes and thought it important we know how to identify them and show them proper respect.
    To emerald:

Very informative - thank you!

To all:

I often, when coming upon a big log or rock, poke gently with a trekking pole on the far side of it to check for snakes.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Whether it is legal to kill a snake or not - if one bites me it will meet its demise due to "excessive hiking pole trauma". With the legitimate excuse of identification of species for antivenom as reason.

I was "shook" less than 6 months ago and my hike was ended as the snake arrogantly slid up the trail and hid again.

Images

By now, you ought to be able to tell the difference between a timber rattlesnake and a copperhead. If you are close enough to get bit, you should also be close enough to identify what bit you.

Images

I ran into a timber rattlesnake on, of all places, Rattlesnake Mtn in NJ. A cool summer morning, it was sunning itself right on the trail. It gave fair warning when I got within a few feet of it.

This is north of Catfish Fire Tower. Strange, I never did see any catfish on the trail!
    Simple is good.

Greetings Felllow Travelers SerenitySeeker's Avatar

@Modiyooch...snakeproof tent? details please
    The possitive friction created by the interaction of two or more energizes us to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by jthue View Post
    ever see the vidio," honey badger"? where he eats snakes, gets bit by a cobra, falls asleep, wakes up and continues eating the cobra? no snake causes much fear after the honey badger is done. honey badger dont care.
    matthewski

I've never understood the irrational fear of snakes. What is it about them that scares people so much? Ever since I was a boy, I've been the exact opposite -- they're so rare and facinating that I can hardly restrain myself from trying to catch them for a closer look. And personally, I much prefer dangerous animals that run from me than the other kind -- like bears, mice, spiders, and ticks.

I've known lots of people who have been bitten by a Brown Recluse spider, including my daughter, but in 56 years of life, I have only met one person who was ever bitten by a snake -- my next door neighbor. He nearly died from being bitten by an 8" coral snake. He was trying to kill it with a garden hoe and missed.

Spiders are far more common on the trail than rattle snakes, and the bite can be just as deadly. My daughter never saw the spider that bit her in her sleep in her own bed. She was hospitolized and still has the scar where the flesh on her stomach turned black and died (she's thinking about getting a spider tattoo to cover it).

More people died from Hanta virus last year than from snake bites. It's carried by mice.

The most dangerous creature on the trail? Ticks.

Brewmaster, Pizza Chef
    Images

I plan to have this guy hike ahead of me to clear the trail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIMigVo1pyA
    Everything is easy until you do it.

aka -OvertheEdge- :)
    Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    I hate snakes.

Most bites occur on hands and feet, so watch where you step and reach. I wear high top boots and sleep in a snake proof tent.

I saw two rattlesnakes in PA and copperheads in the South.

I enjoy hiking in Maine because there are no poisonous snakes.
    Most bites occur on the hands or feet because someone was reaching for or chasing after the snake.
    Alcohol was involved!

2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by SerenitySeeker View Post
    @Modiyooch...snakeproof tent? details please
    unless they can eat a hole through my tent, they ain't getting in. It stays zippered. I like being in the wilderness, but I don't care to sleep with snakes, spiders or mice. And I refuse to get wet. My tent is a major investment.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++