WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Default ULA Customer Service

I've been wanting to buy a new, slightly smaller backpack for a while now. My 3 season load has gotten too small for my ULA Catalyst and I've been wanting a Circuit for a while now, so this was a perfect excuse to get one, especially since I got my income tax refund. I called Chris (the owner) at ULA and asked him if they had my size in stock and if I could have it by next Thursday to head out on a hike with me. He said yes, if I placed my order this morning, it would go out today. I got home, placed my order online and thought nothing else of it. Then I started to get e-mail notifications on my phone. They recieved my order at 12:15pm. At 12:24pm, a whopping 9 minutes later, I got a shipping notification. Holy customer service, Batman!! Amazing! Things like this are only a part of the reason why I buy cottage gear! Thanks, Chris!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

You just sold me on buying a ULA pack. I talked to him last week but this is awesome! Enjoy the pack!

Images

I am hoping to order my Circuit first of May. I have a backpack planned on Memorial Day weekend, and with this pack and other gear I have recently aquired, my base weight will drop by a minimum of 6 lbs! Really want to get this pack so I can get out on the trail with a much lighter load...

Thanks for the encouraging shipping report and c/s!
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Quote Originally Posted by on_the_GOEZ View Post
    You just sold me on buying a ULA pack. I talked to him last week but this is awesome! Enjoy the pack!
    You might want to try the pack on before deciding to buy a pack based on customer service...Chris at ULA does offer great customer service, but I don't believe he will carry the pack for you if you don't like the way it carries!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    You might want to try the pack on before deciding to buy a pack based on customer service...Chris at ULA does offer great customer service, but I don't believe he will carry the pack for you if you don't like the way it carries!

Explain to other how they can try a pack on before they buy it. Not many stores even stock there items.

I bought my ULA Circuit and it was great. Worked perfect for more the 1835 miles. I just bought the CDT and I think it is an awesome pack(my opinion).
    I don't know

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralLee10 View Post
    Explain to other how they can try a pack on before they buy it. Not many stores even stock there items.

I bought my ULA Circuit and it was great. Worked perfect for more the 1835 miles. I just bought the CDT and I think it is an awesome pack(my opinion).
    The point is you should not buy a pack based on anything other than how it fits you, and how it carries...and no level of popularity or customer service will make a pack feel better than it really is.

You can buy ULA's and return them as long as they are unused, just fill them up, walk around the house, then return them if they are not working for you. Just don't go taking them out for 5 mile day hikes as it would be hard to justify the pack as unused then.

I use a ULA and an Osprey, and as fond I as I am of ULA, they are far from perfect and have a few substantial drawbacks. Thankfully ignorance is bliss and most people out there cannot distinguish between something great, something very good and something that is just OK, so it really doesn't matter in some cases.

I think ULA's are great for those who have some decent experience, won't overload the pack, and know what they are giving up to save weight.

Images

Got my new ULA Circuit about a month ago, have taken it out twice and absolutely love it. The customer service with ULA is outstanding, I had mine in less than 24 hours from Utah to upstate NY

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    The point is you should not buy a pack based on anything other than how it fits you, and how it carries...and no level of popularity or customer service will make a pack feel better than it really is.

You can buy ULA's and return them as long as they are unused, just fill them up, walk around the house, then return them if they are not working for you. Just don't go taking them out for 5 mile day hikes as it would be hard to justify the pack as unused then.

I use a ULA and an Osprey, and as fond I as I am of ULA, they are far from perfect and have a few substantial drawbacks. Thankfully ignorance is bliss and most people out there cannot distinguish between something great, something very good and something that is just OK, so it really doesn't matter in some cases.

I think ULA's are great for those who have some decent experience, won't overload the pack, and know what they are giving up to save weight.
    I agree that a pack should not be bought because of a companies customer service, or even because of how it works for others, but I must say, with as many good things said about both fit, and customer service, it sure does make getting a ULA pack blind easier. But of course, once it is in your hands, it is up to you to determine if it works for you.

I understand about having to order so many items just to try though. There are not too many options where I live...actually none. This is also why when I go somewhere that has an outfitters shop, I go in and take my time, trying on and playing with lots of things, that way when I actually have the money to buy something I can order it online.

As far as the ULA packs, I did order the Circuit. But I did have some prior play time with it at the NOC in Gatlinburg (although it was the wrong size and the wrong hip belt).

Before this I carried the Kelty Red Cloud 5600. When I traded it for the Circuit, the only things that I can see that I have left behind is a lot of weight (about 52 oz or 3 pounds 4 oz), and about 1500 cu in. other than this, I left behind a multitude of pockets and a lid. Don't get me wrong, all of those pockets were nice to organize things in, but I simply do not need all of those pockets. The Circuit has 3 pockets, and I fit all that I need in them.

In comparison to the Red Cloud, the Circuit is pretty dang perfect for me. Fits great, holds everything easily, I can organize my stuff the way I want it, durable and light. Saying this, I really don't see what I am giving up to save weight.
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    They recieved my order at 12:15pm. At 12:24pm, a whopping 9 minutes later, I got a shipping notification. Holy customer service, Batman!! Amazing! Things like this are only a part of the reason why I buy cottage gear! Thanks, Chris!
    And when you receive the pack two-three days from now are you going to sing praise for the USPS?

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    And when you receive the pack two-three days from now are you going to sing praise for the USPS?
    Nope. For Brown Santa.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

same thing with mine before last weeks trip. We asked Chris if it would definitely be here by Thursday, it was here on Wednesday. Ooo...I lOVE the pack!! Worked great!
    HAPPY TRAILS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD HIKE!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    We should all sing praise for the USPS!

Hike smarter, not harder.

I emailed ULA about setting my load lifters a few years ago. Casey called my cell phone, asked for an emailed pic, then called back and walked me thru how to set them properly. Hard to imagine people bragging on other brands after that (although I've had Grant at Gossamer Gear call me to answer questions).
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

ULA customer service is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by conmcb25 View Post
    ULA customer service is amazing.
    I definitely have to agree with you on that one! +1 for ULA.

Images

Thumbs up

I called ULA at 4PM on Thursday. I spoke to the owner to discuss 2 extra custom items I would like included and when I could expect the pack. He said they would have to start from scratch to include what I wanted on my OHM. I also wanted to know how long that would take. He said I could have the pack by Tuesday if they shipped it USPS priority mail and because of the weight of the OHM it would only be an extra $2 and no charge for the other options. He was out of town at the PCT kick off party on his cell. but gave me the cell guy who was going to make my pack and told me to call him personally to make sure he understood exactly what I wanted. I had the pack by Saturday morning. With everything I wanted.

<<<Satisfied customer
    "you cant grow old if you never grow up" ~TUswm

We need to shut up about ULA, or NF will buy them and screw em all up.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by trailangelbronco View Post
    We need to shut up about ULA, or NF will buy them and screw em all up.
    Good point.

ULA sucks!
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

ULA does indeed rock...
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Will ULA be at Trail Days?
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++