WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Is it just me or does this hike have a better vibe than the latest crop of speed hike attempts.

For some reason, this one strikes me as "cleaner"... Not sure that is the right word but it just doesn't seem to have any sketchiness to it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    to hike, where no man has hiked before. these are the voyages of....the starship jenpharr....que music.....

"THE SPEEDHIKER"
    by gene roddenberry
    "fascinating"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    Yes, I've heard of Ann Trason. It's her women's record in the Western States (17 hours, 37 minutes and change) I was referring to in my previous post. Yes, some of the course records she set in her prime were better than the men's records. It's not impossible Pharr-Davis could do the same but it's a pretty tall order.
    In addition to the extreme physical conditioning required which Pharr-Davis has, there is a certain amount of a "luck" factor that must be considered. I recall one person going after Horton's original record and got delayed in the Whites for many hours due to severe lightning and rain storms. Sometimes you hit an area right after a bad storm has passed and encounter big trees blown across the trail. That can really slow progress.

The thing about an AT record attempt is that you are dealing with an uncontrolled environment which can vary quite a bit from one person's attempt to another person's attempt in a different year.

Trason was quite an amazing runner in her peak which spanned many years. I seriously doubt anyone will challenge her accomplishments, but then you have Monica Scholz who likes setting a record for the most 100 mile foot races completed in a calendar year. Not a super fast racer, but she can complete more sequential 100 mile foot races than anybody.

I was at the 2001 Western States run when Ann won the Womens division that year. I managed to finish that race twice (01 and 04) but in the last 1/3 of the pack both years. In is an incredible beautiful place, crossing the tops of the Sierra Range. My last attempt was last year with 30+ miles of running on snow and I missed the 70 mile cutoff (too old and too slow ).

I'm looking forward to reading Jen's reports and it it is ashamed that there won't be live updates.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Hope everything goes well for her!

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Storyteller
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ShoelessWanderer View Post
    I don't know if she's posting or not, but just thought I'd throw it out there that she is on FB and can be contacted there.
    She is being almost "secretive" while on the trail.

I am working on an AT Journeys story about the whole concept of speedhiking and contacted her to try to arrange an interview while she passes through my area and she said she will not do any interviews while she is on the trail.

In fact she won't even cooperate photo wise. I told her I understood about the interviews (even though this story won't run until the winter, well after she is done ... but I can understand her desire to have a tight routine and stay focused), but I asked if there was a way to contact her support crew to get a heads up when she would be in certain areas that I thought would be good places to get photos of her for the story, and she even refused that.

Mind you, I was not asking for an "appointment" or for her to stop and pose. I just asked to be able to have a good idea what day she would reach certain areas in order to be able to be in position to shoot photos as she came through.

She is not the only speedhiker that will be in the story, and I already have good photos from Karl Meltzer's 2008 effort and Gobbler's current hike (he is running the trail, but not attempting to set a record). But it would be nice to have good images of her since A) she will be mentioned in the story and B) it would be good to have gender balance in the art.

Now mind you, it is not her responsibility to make my job easy for me. But I have never had someone be so uncooperative (aside from some criminals who tried to avoid the lens during perp walks).

I understand her desire to avoid a lot of hype and publicity while she is on the trail. And it is almost to be expected given her association with Warren Doyle and how he reacted to Karl's effort in 2008.

And it is especially wise for a woman who will be alone on the trail a lot of the time to be discreet.

I think not being willing to cooperate with a photographer for the ATC's own magazine is a little overboard, but I do understand her desire for some stealth.

Would be fun to be able to follow her hike the way we could Meltzer's. But at the same time, it is not up to her to hike vicariously for us while we sit at the computer.

Anyhow, I wish her well and hope she accomplishes what she is setting out to do.

And by the way, I hear Meltzer is planning another attempt, maybe as soon as next year.
    Last edited by Hoop Time; 06-08-2011 at 11:07.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop Time View Post
    In fact she won't even cooperate photo wise. I told her I understood about the interviews (even though this story won't run until the winter, well after she is done ... but I can understand her desire to have a tight routine and stay focused), but I asked if there was a way to contact her support crew to get a heads up when she would be in certain areas that I thought would be good places to get photos of her for the story, and she even refused that.
    That's too bad. I imagine word of her progress will get out here and in the A.T. community. I'd bet you'll get a day or two worth of notice when she'll be passing near you. I'd stand by if I were you and plan to take a day, maybe two waiting for her in a spot. It's public domain, and you're a journalist, so you can photograph her on her run as a newsworthy event. Once you get pics of her in one place, you can get others of her, with sufficient distance in your car and sufficient waiting, down trail.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Storyteller
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    That's too bad. I imagine word of her progress will get out here and in the A.T. community. I'd bet you'll get a day or two worth of notice when she'll be passing near you. I'd stand by if I were you and plan to take a day, maybe two waiting for her in a spot. It's public domain, and you're a journalist, so you can photograph her on her run as a newsworthy event. Once you get pics of her in one place, you can get others of her, with sufficient distance in your car and sufficient waiting, down trail.
    Yeah, that pretty much is my plan.

I should mention she has offered to send us photos taken by her crew. But as a freelance writer/photographer, that means less income for me since I get paid by the story for writing and by the photo for images used. (which I tried to explain to her .... this is how I pay my bills, my kids college tuition, etc.)

At this point, I am viewing it as a personal challenge to be sure I not only get the photos I need, but that they are better than any she submits so that mine are used.

First time I have ever felt like a paparazzi (and first time I have ever had a hiker balk at cooperating when I was working on a story about the trail).

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

I am working on an AT Journeys story about the whole concept of speedhiking and contacted her to try to arrange an interview while she passes through my area and she said she will not do any interviews while she is on the trail.

Mind you, I was not asking for an "appointment" or for her to stop and pose. I just asked to be able to have a good idea what day she would reach certain areas in order to be able to be in position to shoot photos as she came through.

She is not the only speedhiker that will be in the story, and I already have good photos from Karl Meltzer's 2008 effort and Gobbler's current hike (he is running the trail, but not attempting to set a record). But it would be nice to have good images of her since A) she will be mentioned in the story and B) it would be good to have gender balance in the art.

Now mind you, it is not her responsibility to make my job easy for me. But I have never had someone be so uncooperative (aside from some criminals who tried to avoid the lens during perp walks).

I understand her desire to avoid a lot of hype and publicity while she is on the trail. And it is almost to be expected given her association with Warren Doyle and how he reacted to Karl's effort in 2008.

And it is especially wise for a woman who will be alone on the trail a lot of the time to be discreet.

I think not being willing to cooperate with a photographer for the ATC's own magazine is a little overboard, but I do understand her desire for some stealth.

Would be fun to be able to follow her hike the way we could Meltzer's. But at the same time, it is not up to her to hike vicariously for us while we sit at the computer.

Anyhow, I wish her well and hope she accomplishes what she is setting out to do.

And by the way, I hear Meltzer is planning another attempt, maybe as soon as next year.
    after what happened to Nature Boy I'd do the same thing. she is smart
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

I should mention she has offered to send us photos taken by her crew. But as a freelance writer/photographer, that means less income for me since I get paid by the story for writing and by the photo for images used.
    You seem to think your pockets are more important than her desire for safety and privacy. I hope that the ATC will take that into consideration before publication.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

Hiking was once a recreational activity in which one participates actively and from which one derives health benefits.

It seems to become more a spectator sport with every passing year. Am I the only one who thinks we would all be better off were this trend reversed?

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    Hiking was once a recreational activity in which one participates actively and from which one derives health benefits.

It seems to become more a spectator sport with every passing year. Am I the only one who thinks we would all be better off were this trend reversed?
    the ATC promotes thru-hiking which in itself is a marathon

Images

Maybe ATC shouldn't promote through hiking and we ought not focus so much attention upon it. The vast majority of A.T. hikers will never through hike it, but they can still participate in many other ways.

Wolf knows what I think about characterizing through hikes as marathons. Once we go there, it doesn't take much to get to where we now find ourselves and beyond.

Who knows where this will take us? I am hopeful it will come full-circle when people realize what it's done to the A.T. and their relationship with it.
    Last edited by emerald; 06-08-2011 at 14:35.

Doesn't "someone in charge" have to know where she is and spot check her progress, to
    verify the record, or is this all on the honor system?

Forgive me if that's a silly question, but I seem to recall someone else who did this
    years ago and could not get into the record book, because there was no independent
    "audit" or some other ugly word.

Images

There really isn't that much activity in this area (i.e. only a very small number of people looking to do a speed hike/run). I guess because these folks appear almost super human, it gets a lot of visibility, both in the press and on these social networking boards. In some cases there are self-promotions by the person attempting to accomplish their feat. I see nothing wrong with that as long as it is not overbearing. Almost anybody that has an exceptional talent will come to realize that other people like to hear about it and/or read about it. I doubt that most people even think about any financial benefit (if any is possible) when they start out, but sometimes a book deal or sponsorship aid comes about because of the huge interest and curiosity.

I also think that a lot of people get a lot more from hiking than "health benefits" What about spiritual benefits? What about the learning experience?... the social or even non social experience.. There really is so much more than the physical/health aspect, but everybody has their own reason for being out there.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    You seem to think your pockets are more important than her desire for safety and privacy. I hope that the ATC will take that into consideration before publication.
    Sounds like she's taking the concerns to an extreme and that his requests are reasonable. I think that, as much as he wants the commission for a few photos, he moreso, as a photojournalist, wants to get good photos. Hard to fault him for that, and given that he's working with the A.T.C., it seems unreasonable not to cooperate. Bet she'd work with National Geographic.

Images

I prefer the recreational activity model, but I'm fine with others who wish to pursue it as sport. Not my gig, but I don't see it as objectionable in itself, within reason.

Images

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Carl in FL View Post
    Doesn't "someone in charge" have to know where she is and spot check her progress, to
    verify the record, or is this all on the honor system?

Forgive me if that's a silly question, but I seem to recall someone else who did this
    years ago and could not get into the record book, because there was no independent
    "audit" or some other ugly word.
    Carl, I think there will be enough people (i.e. crews, friends, spouse) that will be able to verify this effort. For obvious reasons, the community web pages will not have the details real time.

As a side note, I tend to think of these efforts more as accomplishments, not records for a record book.
    Nobody can have exactly the same trail conditions, weather and likely not the exact route from one effort to the next, so any record is tough to compare to the next, especially when we start measuring down to the hour and minute. It starts to get a bit ridiculous.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jbwood5 View Post
    There really is so much more than the physical/health aspect ...
    I'm well aware of the many benefits to man provided by Appalachian Trail. My 7000+ posts attest to it.

It's no secret America is becoming increasingly sedentary and our health is deteriorating because of it. Too many are living vicariously and need to get up off their couches.

Viewing words and images that paint a picture of someone immersed in a natural environment and actually taking a short hike are two very different activities with different consequences. While the former may result in actual beneficial changes to one's mood and chemistry, few would dispute the latter will result in greater benefit for most people.

In fact she won't even cooperate photo wise.

Did you ever consider she didn't want to take the time to do interviews or photo shoots while attempting a record, rather than just being secretive? Her husband and support crew will be seeing her several times a day.

If the article isn't going to be run until winter, it all can wait.

At this point, I am viewing it as a personal challenge to be sure I not only get the photos I need, but that they are better than any she submits so that mine are used.

First time I have ever felt like a paparazzi
    (and first time I have ever had a hiker balk at cooperating when I was working on a story about the trail).
    Yeah, I wonder why? If she doesn't want to be photographed or interviewed why don't you respect her wishes?

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++