WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop Time View Post
    She is being almost "secretive" while on the trail.

I am working on an AT Journeys story about the whole concept of speedhiking and contacted her to try to arrange an interview while she passes through my area and she said she will not do any interviews while she is on the trail.

In fact she won't even cooperate photo wise. I told her I understood about the interviews (even though this story won't run until the winter, well after she is done ... but I can understand her desire to have a tight routine and stay focused), but I asked if there was a way to contact her support crew to get a heads up when she would be in certain areas that I thought would be good places to get photos of her for the story, and she even refused that.

Mind you, I was not asking for an "appointment" or for her to stop and pose. I just asked to be able to have a good idea what day she would reach certain areas in order to be able to be in position to shoot photos as she came through.

She is not the only speedhiker that will be in the story, and I already have good photos from Karl Meltzer's 2008 effort and Gobbler's current hike (he is running the trail, but not attempting to set a record). But it would be nice to have good images of her since A) she will be mentioned in the story and B) it would be good to have gender balance in the art.

Now mind you, it is not her responsibility to make my job easy for me. But I have never had someone be so uncooperative (aside from some criminals who tried to avoid the lens during perp walks).

I understand her desire to avoid a lot of hype and publicity while she is on the trail. And it is almost to be expected given her association with Warren Doyle and how he reacted to Karl's effort in 2008.

And it is especially wise for a woman who will be alone on the trail a lot of the time to be discreet.

I think not being willing to cooperate with a photographer for the ATC's own magazine is a little overboard, but I do understand her desire for some stealth.

Would be fun to be able to follow her hike the way we could Meltzer's. But at the same time, it is not up to her to hike vicariously for us while we sit at the computer.

Anyhow, I wish her well and hope she accomplishes what she is setting out to do.

And by the way, I hear Meltzer is planning another attempt, maybe as soon as next year.
    she probably doesn't know you from adam's house cat, and you come across as kinda wierd. be respectful and quit complaining.
    don't like logging? try wiping with a pine cone.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    7000+
    hike much?
    don't like logging? try wiping with a pine cone.

Quote Originally Posted by general View Post
    she probably doesn't know you from adam's house cat, and you come across as kinda wierd. be respectful and quit complaining.
    HA! Now that's just funny, I don't care who you are.

Storyteller
    Images

To answer a few of the questions/concerns expressed here:

General -- as for not knowing me from a house cat and being weird. I have written numerous articles about the hiking, trails and the AT, including two that have been published in AT Journeys, one that will be in the July/August issue and three others -- including the speedhiking story -- that are slated for fall and winter issues.

In my e-mails to her I clearly identified myself and my relationship with the magazine. If she doubted my credentials, she could google me or ask for clips. Also, I know that she has heard from the editor vouching for my authenticity.

I would also mention that she is affiliated in some way with Warren Doyle, who is going to be part of her support crew. I have interviewed Warren for previous stories, including just a week or so ago for the one in next month's issue and went out of my way at the Gathering in 2009 to introduce myself to Warren since we had spoken by phone before but never met in person.

I don't know what about that makes me weird (though my kids would agree with you).

As for relating this to what happened to Nature Boy, this story is to run in the winter, long after she is finished. Don't quite know how that might reveal her whereabouts to a potential attacker. And as I mentioned above, I think my credentials speak for themselves as to the legitimacy. Do you think I am looking to mug her?

Winged Monkey -- I do not think my pockets are more important than anyone's safety. There is no reason my professional duties would imperil her in any way.

Sly -- I am not looking to take any of her time, or to slow her down in any way. I already agreed that a phone interview after she finishes would be fine since I have room with the deadline to wait for that. But I can only take photos of her on the trail when she is on the trail. I am not looking for a posed photo shoot. I am a reasonably accomplished sports photographer quite capable of getting the photos I need without interfering in any way with her activity. What I want are real shots of her in action.

And as for "if she does not want to be photographed, why not respect her wishes" -- As a journalist it is my job to record events and tell stories. Whether she likes it or not, her effort is newsworthy, especially to the AT and hiking communities.

Let's not forget that we are talking about someone who wrote a book about her AT experiences and who has a business that is based on her hiking experience. It is not like this is some publicity shy recluse.

The fact that she is willing to provide photos is proof of that.

But understand, any journalist with integrity will not allow the subject of their reporting to dictate how they are portrayed. That includes photos. Photojournalists are tasked with telling their story with images.

Again, I have the utmost respect for Jen and her effort. And if she does not want to cooperate, she does not have to. But that does not change the fact that I have a job to do.

I will find a way to get the images I need and I will do so in a respectful, professional manner.

Images

... As a journalist it is my job to record events and tell stories. Whether she likes it or not, her effort is newsworthy, especially to the AT and hiking communities...

...I will find a way to get the images I need...
    I can see why you feel like a paparazzi, because you sure sound like one.

If you are going to sit out on the trail and wait, at least take some snickers bars with you to hand out to those that are actually hiking

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post

If you are going to sit out on the trail and wait, at least take some snickers bars with you to hand out to those that are actually hiking
    "those that are actually hiking" don't need snickers bars. they got a pack full of chow

Images

To answer a few of the questions/concerns expressed here. ...
    Remarkable how much immature sniping there is here. It's as if people don't understand journalism, properly done. You sound like a reasonable chap to me, Hoop.

It's unfortunate Ms. Pharr chooses not to cooperate - may just be she wants to save her story and photos of it for her own published vehicle, whether a book or video. As is her right. In the meantime, you're well within your rights to go forward as you are, and the paparazzo tag is inapposite. Best wishes to you in your project and to Ms. Pharr in hers.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    "those that are actually hiking" don't need snickers bars. they got a pack full of chow
    I know, at least I always do.

But does anyone ever really need a snickers bar? Some things go beyond need

Storyteller
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    I can see why you feel like a paparazzi, because you sure sound like one.

Hmmm, Snickers bars, eh? You think those would go over better than the cookies and cooler full of cold beverages I took along earlier this week when I met up with another speed hiker to shoot some photos out near the Scott Farm?

Look, I realize most folks on here do not know me, but I do hike some. I am not a through-hiker, and never will be. But I have done some hiking, a little trail maintenance (not nearly enough, but I hope to do a lot more) and enjoy doing a little trail magic from time to time (though no Snickers bars ... my daughter got her trail name from a hiker who enjoyed the home baked oatmeal raisin cookies she was handing out when we went on our first day hike on the AT. -- you can read that story in July's AT Journeys. And I find hikers I encounter at the Scott Farm on very hot days really enjoy those frozen soda slurpee type drinks).
    Last edited by Hoop Time; 06-09-2011 at 08:56.

If I was attempting a speed hike record attempt of the AT I wouldn't entertain a single idea or thought relating to anything other than achieving that record or goal. I would do exactly the same thing as her.

It's not like the hike is going to take 6 months, she'll be done in less than 50 days in all likelyhood, that's the latest. A good story is a good story, if she has advised you that this sort of thing is a distraction, dry your eyes and get the story after.

As for the safety thing, I don't think that's the point, I reckon it's more of a focus thing...the Nature Boy thing is either a freak thing that will never happen again, or more likely something is not being said or told, or whatever.

Let her hike the trail...she can talk to you later, you can write about someone else, I'm sure you can find plenty of wannabe's on here to help you out.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    If I was attempting a speed hike record attempt of the AT I wouldn't entertain a single idea or thought relating to anything other than achieving that record or goal. I would do exactly the same thing as her.
    When they run the Boston Marathon, do the leaders get followed by video cameras? Do still photogs set up at memorable spots on the route, certainly at the finish line, and take pics? Do you have a problem with them doing their job (which does not involve obstructing the runners, to be clear, just recording video and photos of them as the run past)?

If you've no problem with the Boston Marathon photogs, can you explain to me the difference between them and our friend here, Hoop Time? He's going to a public place - the Appalachian Trail corridor is federal property - to take photos of someone engaged in a newsworthy event - an attempt to set a new speed-record for a woman hiking the Appalachian Trail. He's doubtless not going to set up in the middle of the trail, but rather alongside it in a way that won't obstruct Ms. Pharr, or other hikers for that matter.

Do you think the stories you read in National Geographic or Outside, or TV documentaries such as on PBS, Discovery or the BBC just magically happen and don't involve the hard work of journalists and photographers very much like what Hoop Dreams describes? You gonna start boycotting these shows and magazines because of how terrible and obstructive their production is?

Storyteller
    Images

My original post here was not to ask anybody here for their permission to do my job. And it was not to bitch about Jennifer. It was simply in response to posts in this thread that asked about whether there would be a journal or blog on which to follow her attempt.

My later posts were simply to clarify, or answer some of the posts that followed.

Please don't misinterpret my posts by twisting it into some sort of me vs. Jennifer thing. Sure I wish she would be more cooperative, but she has every right to not be and I respect that. I certainly don't want anybody thinking I feel she is obligated to make my job easier, or that I have any ill feeling towards her.

I look forward to talking with her after she is done and I hope the first thing I get to say to her in that interview is "Congratulations on your new record."

Rest assured that I have no intention of getting in her way or interfering with her hike in any way. When I go into the outdoors, I like to make as small a footprint as I can and to not interfere with anyone else' enjoyment of the outdoors, be it a trout stream or a hiking trail.

I take the same approach whether I am out there working on a story or out for my own personal enjoyment.

I have been writing about hiking/the trail since 2008, I have yet to have anybody complain about my actions (or my writing). I have met a lot of great people along the AT, heard a lot of amazing stories, and in short have had a blast learning more about hiking and the trail and sharing what I learn with other people.

I'll be sure to post a link on WB when the story is published. I hope folks will enjoy it as much as they have told me they have enjoyed previous things I have written about the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    When they run the Boston Marathon, do the leaders get followed by video cameras? Do still photogs set up at memorable spots on the route, certainly at the finish line, and take pics? Do you have a problem with them doing their job (which does not involve obstructing the runners, to be clear, just recording video and photos of them as the run past)?
    You can try, but you really can't compare a historical race with tens of thousands of runners, and a hefty cash prize, to a solo journey. The only prize for setting a record on the AT is self satisfaction. If there's an end of the rainbow, it's going to come after she finishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post

If you've no problem with the Boston Marathon photogs, can you explain to me the difference between them and our friend here, Hoop Time? He's going to a public place - the Appalachian Trail corridor is federal property - to take photos of someone engaged in a newsworthy event - an attempt to set a new speed-record for a woman hiking the Appalachian Trail. He's doubtless not going to set up in the middle of the trail, but rather alongside it in a way that won't obstruct Ms. Pharr, or other hikers for that matter.

Do you think the stories you read in National Geographic or Outside, or TV documentaries such as on PBS, Discovery or the BBC just magically happen and don't involve the hard work of journalists and photographers very much like what Hoop Dreams describes? You gonna start boycotting these shows and magazines because of how terrible and obstructive their production is?
    What is wrong with you? I can't really take that post seriously.

First off, I read neither Outside or National Geographic, just to get that out of the way, I do read Wilderness and Outer Edge magazines. YES I ASSUMED ALL PICTURES IN MAGAZINES WERE MAGIC, ISN'T MAGIC WHAT MAKES WATER COME OUT OF THE TAP? Your post is a little magical in some ways!

Second, the Boston Marathon? How is that even remotely related to her hike? The Boston Marathon is a organized, famous race...she in hiking the Appalachian Trail. I don't know anything about the Boston Marathon, so I can answer your fairly irrelevant questions.

And for your last obscure and incorrect statement, No, I won't be boycotting anything that you mention.

Your post is amusing, can I follow you on Twitter?

Images

Be aware that there is a Federal Law that may require you to get a permit (and pay Uncle Sam a fee) to film on Federal Lands which surely includes the AT. This could be enforced here, especially if you derive profits from any of your filming activities. Normally, this law is used out west, but could be applied to the AT, if the impact becomes significant (or if hikers complain of disruption to their experience).

I was reluctant to post this because I never really saw the AT (i.e. the Federal owned corridor) a place where a commercial enterprise would evolve.

See this link for more info:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/us...0---l006d.html

Images

Second, the Boston Marathon? How is that even remotely related to her hike? The Boston Marathon is a organized, famous race...she in hiking the Appalachian Trail.
    Bullcrap. She's making an organized race run of the A.T., attempting to set a record, no mere. She has a sizeable support team which, in addition to supporting her on the run is also taking photo and video of her, evidently. Anyone who fails to see the newsworthiness - certainly the newsworthiness to the readers of the A.T.C.'s contituency - is ignorant, whether intentionally or no. That's the point as to both - Boston Marathon and Pharr attempted AT record, stranger - do you deny the newsworthiness?

She's also setting up to profit tidily from her run of the A.T. - it's not as though she's some innocent in swaddling clothes versus Hoop as some evil parasite. As emerald points out, organized runs like Pharrs, which are becoming a fixture of the trail, can in themselves be disruptive for other hikers and could end up having a greater impact on the corridor than the activities of mere individual hikes. Maybe Hoops should cover this angle of the story, including taking photos of as many members of Pharr's team as possible to show the scope of the enterprise.

And the photographers and videographers who work for [insert name of your favorite outdoors and nature publications and programs here], like Hoop, get paid for their work, pretty well all of them. This should come as no surprise - not sure if that point got past you.

I never said he didn't have the right to do his job.

I never said he didn't have a right to earn a living.

Speculation, speculation...settle down, maybe need a timeout?

I disagree that this hike is comparable to something like the Boston Marathon, I have no interest in debating this point, agree to disagree.

What I said is that Pharr should focus on her hike, plain and simple. If someone wants to cover the hike, then they should get out there and cover the hike, however, just because someone chooses to be a journalist, that does not mean someone like Pharr owes this guy a photo opportunity.

Don't make the guy out to be working at Walmart, forced to bag groceries, having no choice, journalism is hardly something any person is forced into by social means, she even offered him pics, he said no cause he needs to be paid, c'mon. He's not about the story, he's about getting paid.

She is entitled to hike the trail any way she sees fit, including utilizing a support team, AND denying the opportunity to volunteer her location in order to have someone take pics of her for the purpose of their own profit.

Do I think this hike is newsworthy? For me, not really, I find nothing interesting about a supported hike, unsupported is another story...however I don't have a problem waiting a few months to read the story if they choose to publicise themselves, or allow someone else to. Just because someone finds something newsworthy, does not mean anyone else should be compromised as a result. Call me crazy...

Images

I disagree that this hike is comparable to something like the Boston Marathon, I have no interest in debating this point, agree to disagree. ...

Do I think this hike is newsworthy? For me, not really, I find nothing interesting about a supported hike, unsupported is another story...however I don't have a problem waiting a few months to read the story if they choose to publicise themselves, or allow someone else to. Just because someone finds something newsworthy, does not mean anyone else should be compromised as a result.
    She is attempting to set a record, and trail running is a growing pastime, an increasing hot "fad" (witness the best-seller popularity of Chris MacDougall's book Born to Run. You may not see it as newsworthy, stranger, but the fact that you and I and numerous others have chimed in on threads like this about her and others' long distance record attempts speaks to the level of interest in the A.T. community.

She of course is free not to cooperate. Hoop merely noted that her choice not to do so was surprising to him as it was a first for such long-distance trail runners. I wouldn't be surprised if her unwillingness to cooperate has more to do with a desire to control and reap maximum profit from her story than with some concern about imposition on her in the effort or some worry about her safety. I will not at all be shocked if she ends up penning, for nice compensation, a cover story in Outside or a similar outlet about her run, accompanied by photos from her team. If so, it would explain her unwillingness to help someone preparing a competing story.

Pharr is setting the record, she is the one who trained for it, she is the one hiking the trail...if she chooses, she should have the choice of penning her own story. Does anyone give Skurka crap for his business sense? Skurka is as business minded as they come, why is this any different?

Skurka wouldn't talk openly about his Alaskan trip for 6 months when he finished, why? Cause he in all likelyhood an an exclusivity deal with National Geographic, and the aritcle didn't come out to March the next year. Personally that disappointed me cause I wanted to hear about the trip, but you know what...I sent him a few emails and then bought the magazine when it came out. Problem solved! I guess I could have come on Whiteblaze and bagged him instead, somehow that thought never entered my mind.

And the fact remains, Hoop put up a post in a well visited, public forum, essentially 'bagging' Pharr by saying he was disappointed in her approach. If you are going to call someone out, they better have the right to reply...which she didn't, she's not a part of this thread. That's cowardly, no other word for it.

I'm disappointed everyday of my life by others...I don't come online and talk smack about it. If I have a problem with someone and choose to address it, I confront that person, I don't make public posts online.

Images

Pharr is setting the record, she is the one who trained for it, she is the one hiking the trail...if she chooses, she should have the choice of penning her own story.
    As I've made clear, we agree on this, stranger. You're arguing with someone who agrees with you, like a dog chasing its own tail. Hope you're enjoying yourself!

... that disappointed me cause I wanted to hear about the trip, but you know what...I sent him a few emails and then bought the magazine when it came out. Problem solved!
    Of course, you weren't contracted to photograph SKurka and write an article about him for a mass circulation magazine or newsletter, so where mere patience solved your problem, it won't do much good for someone whose job it is to report on a news story.

I guess I could have come on Whiteblaze and bagged him instead, somehow that thought never entered my mind.

And the fact remains, Hoop put up a post in a well visited, public forum, essentially 'bagging' Pharr by saying he was disappointed in her approach. If you are going to call someone out, they better have the right to reply...which she didn't, she's not a part of this thread. That's cowardly, no other word for it.
    Jennifer Pharr Davis doesn't have the right to read this forum and to reply? Now that's newsworthy news to me!

I'm disappointed everyday of my life by others...I don't come online and talk smack about it. If I have a problem with someone and choose to address it, I confront that person, I don't make public posts online.
    Except here, where you just have, about Hoop. And the big ol' world just keeps on spinning around. Kind of like you, fruitlessly chasing your own tail, except far more interesting ... and newsworthy. ...

Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++