WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    The last update seems like it was more than a few days ago. I admire her attempt, but the way they're doing the updates it is ludicrous.
    Definately tough for the public to pay attention to, but in reality, it's probably good for her, and the whole safety factor.

She's killing it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Meltzer View Post
    I'm rooting for her to chick me, so I can try and get her back next year. The AT rocks!
    HAHAHA, great post Karl! It is great to see you on here following Jenn's attempt.

Day 1: Katahdin to Jo Mary Road -- 56 miles (56 total)
    Day 2: Jo Mary Road to location near Long Pond Stream ford -- 44 miles (100 total)
    Day 3: Long Pond Stream ford to Boise Cascade Logging Road -- 46 miles (146 total)
    Day 4: Boise Cascade Logging Road to ME 27 (Stratton) -- 42 miles (188 total)
    Day 5: ME27 (Stratton) to Sabbath Day Pond -- 41 miles (229 total)
    Day 6: Sabbath Day Pond to Grafton Notch -- 38 miles (267 total)
    Day 7: Grafton Notch to Gorham NH -- 31 miles (298 total)
    Day 8: Gorham to Mt. Washington -- 34 miles (332 total)
    Day 9: Mt. Washington to Gale River Trail Junction -- 30 miles (362 total)
    Day 10: Gale River Trail Junction to Glencliff -- 38 miles (400 total)
    Day 11: Glencliff to Hanover -- 43 miles (443 total)
    Day 12: Hanover to dirt road near Stony Brook Shelter -- 36 miles (479 total)
    Day 13: Near Stony Brook Shelter to Danby-Landgrove Road -- 42 miles (521 total)
    Day 14: Danby-Landgrove Road to near Kid Gore Shelter -- 43 miles (564 total)
    Day 15: Near Kid Gore to Cheshire MA -- 47 miles (611 total)
    Day 16: Cheshire to Great Barrington (MA 23) -- 49 miles (660 total)
    Day 17: MA 23 to West Cornwall Road -- 48 miles (708 total)
    Day 18: West Cornwall Road to NY 52 (Stormville) -- 49 miles (757 total)
    Day 19: NY 52 to Arden Valley Road -- 49 miles (806 total)
    Day 20: Arden Valley Road to County 519 (NJ) -- 45 miles (851 total)
    Day 21: County 519 (NJ) to Fox Gap (PA 191) -- 52 miles (903 total)

I'm moving my update post to here now because I won't be able to edit post #104 after today (you can only edit posts for two weeks after the original post).
    Last edited by map man; 07-12-2011 at 22:05.

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    Day 1: Katahdin to Jo Mary Road -- 56 miles (56 total)
    Day 2: Jo Mary Road to location near Long Pond Stream ford -- 44 miles (100 total)
    Day 3: Long Pond Stream ford to Boise Cascade Logging Road -- 46 miles (146 total)
    Day 4: Boise Cascade Logging Road to ME 27 (Stratton) -- 42 miles (188 total)
    Day 5: ME27 (Stratton) to Sabbath Day Pond -- 41 miles (229 total)
    Day 6: Sabbath Day Pond to Grafton Notch -- 38 miles (267 total)
    Day 7: Grafton Notch to Gorham NH -- 31 miles (298 total)
    Day 8: Gorham to Mt. Washington -- 34 miles (332 total)
    Day 9: Mt. Washington to Gale River Trail Junction -- 30 miles (362 total)
    Day 10: Gale River Trail Junction to Glencliff -- 38 miles (400 total)
    Day 11: Glencliff to Hanover -- 43 miles (443 total)
    Day 12: Hanover to dirt road near Stony Brook Shelter -- 36 miles (479 total)
    Thank You Mapman, I hope she stays healthy and acheives her goal!
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

Thanks for the update, map man.
    It actually seems easier to find the update if it keeps moving.

Storyteller
    Images

Interesting Odyssa post from the other day. She had an encounter with "Gobbler" (Adam Cassidy), who is running the trail NOBO. He will be included in the speed hiking story I am writing for AT Journeys. He is not trying for a record. He is just running because he is a runner, not a hiker. He has a limited window that he can take time off from work for an AT effort and figures if he ran he could get it done.
    http://jenniferpharrdavis.tumblr.com...d/Adam_Cassidy

hope she picks up the pace soon

Awesome adventure she is on. Just makes me want to be back on the trail again. I think I just decided that I'm going to shoot for another thru attempt in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    She did the 441.8 miles in the first 11 days at 40.09 mpd, and 363 miles the next 8 days at 45.4 mpd

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    She did the 441.8 miles in the first 11 days at 40.09 mpd, and 363 miles the next 8 days at 45.4 mpd
    like i said...

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Meltzer View Post
    Definately tough for the public to pay attention to, but in reality, it's probably good for her, and the whole safety factor.

She's killing it.
    I know it's easy for me to say behind the comfort of a keyboard but how often is someone reading an internet journal stocking a hiker? It seems to me any type of violence on the trail has been random, and local.

like i said...
    Yeah, she needs to average something like 49 mpd for the next 28 days in order to break the overall record.

Sly:

Following a woman's hiking journal of course doesn't make you a stalker. But there are indeed people out there who follow journals who develop unhealthy or uncomfortable interests in some hikers; there absolutely are people who've been bothered or surprised on the Trail by Internet admirers. For this reason, there are plenty of women hikers who want to keep a public journal but who don't necessarily want the world at large to know their exact whereabouts every minute of their trip. And there's nothing remotely wrong with this wish, either. It's probably a smart decision to make, and one that should be respected.

Images

We know the Northern section is much harder than the middle section and it makes sense that the mileage would be lower. I wonder how Jenn's hike compares to Andrew Thompson's record hike. Where was Andrew at the same point on his hike? (actually, did Andrew even hike SOBO?) I can't find anything for Andrew's hike that gives daily mileage.

Sly:
    In addition to the safety & comfort level factors that Jack T. so ably elucidated above, I will mention two other realities that affect Odyssa's blog updates. 1) Her husband has posted 14 days worth of progress, all with pictures, commentary, etc. Rather than lazy or "pathetic" (a word I think you used earlier), I consider that admirable. He's driving all over the place in mountains and small towns, sleeping in the woods, etc. etc. He doesn't have automatic Internet access. Simply put, I'm impressed and appreciative that he's posted as much as he has. 2) His first priority is being her support, not keeping us informed. He's under no obligation to us. Every pixel he's posted is more than he had to. Saying that you wish he'd do more for your ease of enjoyment is kinda like me asking you to bring me a cheeseburger in Tennessee. Sure, it's a lot of work and we're strangers, but it would be convenient for me.

I've updated post #183 with her progress through day 15. It sure looks like she's bounced back from the low she experienced on day 12. She's one tough hiker!
    Last edited by map man; 07-10-2011 at 20:31.

About Andrew Thompson. He made record attempts NOBO on multiple occasions and didn't make it. He got it done on his first SOBO attempt in 2005, if I'm not mistaken. I have found daily progress accounts for a couple of the failed attempts -- notably 2001 (NOBO) when he stopped after 43 days at Pinkham Notch when he saw he wasn't going to break the record. Google has failed me though in my search for a detailed account of his 2005 record hike. It would be fun to compare to this year's attempt. Here's a link to an account of that 2001 NOBO attempt:

http://www.extremeultrarunning.com/at_at_2001/index.htm

i was with andy on his first attempt when he stopped at VT 11/30. he was ahead of record pace

Here's an account of that 1998 hike by Andrew Thompson that Lone Wolf is talking about:

http://www.extremeultrarunning.com/thompson.htm

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

To me it looks like Day 15 is June 29. If this is correct there is quite a lag in the reporting of her progress. I wonder if her desire to stay out of the limelight will continue if/when she sets the record. (Usually authors and business owners seek publicity.) If she reaches Springer Mountain in record time will we hear about it a week later or when it happens? I do wish her the best of luck but the delayed reporting is a bit strange for someone attempting to break a world record.

Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++