WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast

Sly,

Jennifer averaged almost exactly 3.0 miles per hour from her starting time to ending time each day. 15-16.5 hours to do 45-50 miles. If you figure in the short breaks she took after sections of trail, she probably hiked 3.2 miles per hour on a consistent basis. And she was CONSISTENT. I would assume that the dry weather was a factor in keeping her spirits real high, reducing greatly any blister issues, and not forcing her to endure slower hiking and longer hours to get in the desired mileage.

http://www.jenniferpharrdavis.tumblr.com has the start and end times each day.

Images

I know this is a tad off topic. But with all the talk about mph and how many hours and many miles hiked, it made me think of the story by Stephen King called the Long Walk. Has anyone ever read that?

Quote Originally Posted by The Walker View Post
    Jennifer averaged almost exactly 3.0 miles per hour from her starting time to ending time each day. 15-16.5 hours to do 45-50 miles.
    A great tortoise vs hare strategy. She chose time over speed and won.

Just a great story all around.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    I know this is a tad off topic. But with all the talk about mph and how many hours and many miles hiked, it made me think of the story by Stephen King called the Long Walk. Has anyone ever read that?
    one of my favorites! back when king could actually write... should have never stopped using cocaine. its amazing how chilling a line is that out of context seems so banal.. "They were forty miles from Boston."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    one of my favorites! back when king could actually write... should have never stopped using cocaine. its amazing how chilling a line is that out of context seems so banal.. "They were forty miles from Boston."
    Or the sign that said "Only 103 miles to New Hampshire, you can do it!"

Some questions were asked regarding things like is there any other long distance hiking records held by women. Off the top of my head I know Sue Johnston held the John Muir trail trail record for two years and has been only bested by one man and that trail has seen many numerous attempts of a long time period. Charlotte Vasarhelyi holds the supported record for the Bruce Trail in Eastern Canada which is nearly 900km long and not too long ago Sheryl Wheeler set a new best time for the NPT trail in the ADK of NY that covers 133 miles.

People have also made mention of how perfect Jenn's frame and body seems to be for this type of thing and how she is young and in "her Prime". Sue was 40+, Sheryl is almost 50 and Charlotte is hardly over 5' tall, but like Jenn seems to be mostly made of heart and legs. I actually remembered something Charlotte said while were running together in a race by one of the daily updates, Brew wrote. It was when he mentioned how, Jenn said to the guy don't worry if you're slow I'll drop you..we had done something like 50+ miles together and at one point I could see her struggling and I (doing the playful flirting guy thing) said, "hey, that isn't running!" and she replied, "hey, don't make fun or I'll drop your ass'! I think I wanted to get down on one knee right then.. My kinda girl for sure.

These women put it out there about what they did but really it would be better if it had been promoted more afterward. If most on a board like this don't know about these kinds of things, well who would. So I hope that, Jenn gets all the press and coverage she can handle because I'm sure with the bright shining light she seems to be carrying that there will be more women and men who will remember to try and live and to never take our health and what we can do with it for granted.
    Cory D

Quote Originally Posted by The Walker View Post
    Sly,

Jennifer averaged almost exactly 3.0 miles per hour from her starting time to ending time each day. 15-16.5 hours to do 45-50 miles. If you figure in the short breaks she took after sections of trail, she probably hiked 3.2 miles per hour on a consistent basis. And she was CONSISTENT. I would assume that the dry weather was a factor in keeping her spirits real high, reducing greatly any blister issues, and not forcing her to endure slower hiking and longer hours to get in the desired mileage.

http://www.jenniferpharrdavis.tumblr.com has the start and end times each day.

Thanks, I figured it was close to that.

I think it's kind of funny when people go, "it's not my style, I like to take my time and smell the roses". Many, if not most, can average 2 mph with a backpack on with a little conditioning. She only travels 1 mph faster, just over a longer period of time. Point being you can smell the roses just as well at 3 mpg, as one can 2mph. She just smells more in a day than any other.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Thanks, I figured it was close to that.

I think it's kind of funny when people go, "it's not my style, I like to take my time and smell the roses". Many, if not most, can average 2 mph with a backpack on with a little conditioning. She only travels 1 mph faster, just over a longer period of time. Point being you can smell the roses just as well at 3 mpg, as one can 2mph. She just smells more in a day than any other.
    And sees a lot of wildlife which makes sense. The animals are active at dusk and dawn when most hikers are in a shelter.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    it's not my style, I like to take my time and smell the roses".
    Usually code phrase for "Get out of camp at 9am, have a long lunch break, be in camp by 5pm and then spend a lot of time in towns"

Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Such a fantastic and inspiring journey. Kudos to Jennifer, her husband, and her crew!
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    And sees a lot of wildlife which makes sense. The animals are active at dusk and dawn when most hikers are in a shelter.
    ... sleeping. And if they're awake, it's not roses they're smelling!

Congratulations to Jennifer and her crew.
    Well done!
    It's been a real pleasure following the whole hike.

Yes, most hikers tend to be in their tents or shelter when the light is best and animals are moving.
    I much prefer the 4 am starts and 10 PM finishes (and now, sometimes a nap in the early afternoon)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

My favorite is the Dark Tower series and The Stand. I honestly can't say that I read a book by him that wasn't good.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbender View Post
    My favorite is the Dark Tower series and The Stand. I honestly can't say that I read a book by him that wasn't good.
    have you read rose madder? or insomnia? even the man himself says those books were failures. he was flawless through misery, has been up and down but progressively spottier as the years have progressed since. and the way he keeps retreading ideas. no author needs 2 haunted car novels or several books and stories featuring artists who can impact the real world with their art. hes lost steam. and under the dome is just nonsense. that said, i thought lisey's story was great so he hasnt lost all capability.

have you read rose madder? or insomnia? even the man himself says those books were failures. he was flawless through misery, has been up and down but progressively spottier as the years have progressed since. and the way he keeps retreading ideas. no author needs 2 haunted car novels or several books and stories featuring artists who can impact the real world with their art. hes lost steam. and under the dome is just nonsense. that said, i thought lisey's story was great so he hasnt lost all capability.
    This is soooo White Blaze, she finishes an amazing race and a Stephen King review breaks out. I love this site.

Images

lets not forget the girl who loved tom gordon.nothing like fear in the maine woods.
    Congrsts Jen.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    This is soooo White Blaze, she finishes an amazing race and a Stephen King review breaks out. I love this site.
    It's one way to cope with the stress of such positive news.

Way to go Jen.

You hiked on the Appalachian Trail from Katahdin to Springer. You didn't quit when you were sore, you didn't quit when you were sick or injured. You didn't stop because it was too hot or too cold or too wet. You didn't yellow blaze or walk the Parkway. You didn't blue blaze on Mah-Har Trail, you stayed on the AT. You didn't skip the parts you didn't like.

Congratulations on your successful Thru-Hike.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

Gerald's Game was horrible. I couldn't even finish it.

Images

I am completely in awe of Jennifer Pharr Davis. What an icredible accomplishment!
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++