WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Alps Mountaineering

I havnt seen many folks here use any Alps Mountaineering equipment and was curious just who does.. I have there Cascade 5200 pack, and even though its on the heavy side, I love it.. rides on the back well and my back breathes.. Very compartmentalized for those who like to be organized. I like that the lid can come off to be used as a fanny pack for short walks or left off all together to cut back weight...

What is you experiance with Alps??
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

I have an Alps Zephyr 3 tent and I love it.

Their customer service really won me over recently when one of the tent pole "feet" broke when my nephews took it down. I called them and a nice woman answered, no touch tone menu. I described what I needed, she said she would make sure I got the right size, took my name and address and said have a great day before I could ask how much it would cost. 4 days later it was in my mail box.

Journal Entries

My Denali Alps pack fit like a glove and was very well designed, However after 2 months on the AT it slowly came apart starting with the shoulder straps. I returned it for a refund.

Images

Love my zephyr 3 for canoe and car camping. It's a bit heavy for backpacking, but not too bad when split with my son during skeeter season. It compares well to the Mutha Hubba and most any tent of it's size. I also have a taurus 5 outfitter model that is bombproof and a great basecamp family tent. I've had my eye on their externals, and will probably jump on one of them one of these days. None of their other backpacks appeal to me.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I've had a number of ALPS products. They're generally of very good quality, well-built, and durable. Tend to be on the heavy side.

Images

Lot of Alps gear is used by Boy Scouts (they get a really nice discount). Our Troop has 6 of the Merimac tents (4 person tents I beleive). We would never use them for backpacking, but they are great basecamp tents.

Key thought here, these tents are used monthly by boys (read abuse gear) and they have held up well.

At Philmont last year, I had one boy with an Alps pack, he didn't complain about it and it appeared to serve him well.

aka Kudzu
    Images

I've got a nice self-inflating pad from them that I use for car camping. I'm in a hammock if I'm on the trail.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Images

Our troop uses Alps tents as well. We are mostly pleased with them, except that the poles seem to break frequently. We usually have one break every other campout with 10 tents. That's a 5% failure/usage rate, which is poor. But we purchased spares, and there it has been a good exercise in how to repair. I can replace a broken pole in under 5 minutes, and several of our scouts can do it in less than 10. These are the fiber glass poles. I wanted to order aluminum, but it was more cost than some were willing to pay.

Several of our scout have Alps backpacks. For our smallest of scouts, the "Red Rock" external frame is great. This is for boys who are 80ish pounds or less. It is small and well supported. The Zion is comperable to a Kelty Yukon, but 20% larger. Very good pack.

For internals, we have several scouts with a now discontinued model. They seem to be holding up well. They take them car camping once a month and backpacking 2-3 weekends a year.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Quote Originally Posted by mister krabs View Post
    Love my zephyr 3 for canoe and car camping. It's a bit heavy for backpacking, but not too bad when split with my son during skeeter season. It compares well to the Mutha Hubba and most any tent of it's size. I also have a taurus 5 outfitter model that is bombproof and a great basecamp family tent. I've had my eye on their externals, and will probably jump on one of them one of these days. None of their other backpacks appeal to me.
    We use my Zephyr 3 as a 2-person tent and split the weight between 2 packs which brings it down to about 1.25Kg/2.75Lbs each.

Images

I recently replaced a ALPS self inflating pad. Worked great and was fairly comfortable, but at 4 lbs was just way to over the top.

There is another thread discussing the Zephyr 3, so I am just curious to know what the actual weight (inner/fly/pegs/poles) is. (I know the manufactures given weight...)
    Franco

I have the zephyr 2. For only a hundred bucks, and 8 oz heavier (if I'm looking at the correct weight specs), it's a pretty good starting tent. I've used it as a true 2 person tent for 5 nights and there is certainly enough room in it. Construction is nice too.

I am presently awaiting the arrival of the Mystique 1.5.. Looks to be just over 3 pounds.. Im not buying it. They are sending it to me to test and review.. So Im looking at what others say, and what my initial remarks will be.

As I posted I do have the 5200 pack and even though a little on the heavy side, (my Deutrer weighs in at just under 3 pounds), I like the way it fits and rides on the back. It is very comfortable.... And that is with a heavy (5 pound) tent..

Cant wait to get this out on the trail. One thing I do see that I already like is it is a side entry tent and not a front entry.. But we will see when it comes in...Im looking forward to this...

Graywolf

Quote Originally Posted by Graywolf View Post
    I am presently awaiting the arrival of the Mystique 1.5.. Looks to be just over 3 pounds.. Im not buying it. They are sending it to me to test and review.. So Im looking at what others say, and what my initial remarks will be.

As I posted I do have the 5200 pack and even though a little on the heavy side, (my Deutrer weighs in at just under 3 pounds), I like the way it fits and rides on the back. It is very comfortable.... And that is with a heavy (5 pound) tent..

Cant wait to get this out on the trail. One thing I do see that I already like is it is a side entry tent and not a front entry.. But we will see when it comes in...Im looking forward to this...

Graywolf
    No, I am not making my remarks with what others say. Just thought I should clearify that up...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tickspit View Post
    My Denali Alps pack fit like a glove and was very well designed, However after 2 months on the AT it slowly came apart starting with the shoulder straps. I returned it for a refund.
    Yours lasted two months longer than mine did. Mine lasted three days before it started to come apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    There is another thread discussing the Zephyr 3, so I am just curious to know what the actual weight (inner/fly/pegs/poles) is. (I know the manufactures given weight...)
    Franco
    I just weighed mine with a digital fish scale for you.

poles (in bag) 1lb 4 oz
    tent and fly in bag 3lb 14 oz
    footprint 10 oz
    stakes and tie out 3 oz

I then weighed the fly in bag 1lb 15 oz
    tent in bag 2lb 2 oz
    bag 3 oz

Thank you very much.
    Franco

I love Alps stuff. For the money it's hard to beat. I have the Denali 5500 which is very comfortable on my back, the Zephyr 1 for when I'm by myself, and the Chaos 3 for when my wife and I go hiking together. Also have 2 of the lightweight (lol) series pads.

Just received the Mystique`1.5 for reveiw. Once I can get it out on the Trail I will geta reveiw up.

Just out of curiosity, why did you choose non freestanding over say the Zephyr series?.... I'm guessing side entry and dual vestibules.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++