WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thanks for the info...I hope somewhere along the way the original poster got his answer also...

Journal Entries
    Images

does anyone know if the TOM TOM Multi-Sport have APPALACHIAN Trail mapped on it???
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    +1

my thoughts exactly
    I'd love to watch you two finding your way in a whiteout. (like we had to in the Pyrenees 10 years ago)
    Or, a driving snowstorm (with a foot already on the ground, like I had in WY in 2002)
    Or, finding a gas station in Issan (northeastern Thailand) where the locals don't even speak Thai, let alone English
    Or bushwhacking the Bitteroots where all the hoodoos look the same.
    Or kayaking the Grand Canyon and fighting darkness, and the rapids, and the slowpokes in your group and chosing the best campsite.
    Or...............well, that thing has saved my butt many many times over. (try driving through Bangkok from one end to the other without one)

GPS can save the day!
    Brain can get confused!
    It happens.
    Believe it.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hands View Post
    My parents are offering to purchase a portable GPS device for me relatively soon, which would be great because I love planning closely, observing geography, mapping routes, checking out nearby points of interest and finding natural features, and knowing exactly where I am at a given time. Since I'm deciding which one to get, my question is what, in your opinion, would be the "best" GPS device at a reasonable price? I'm noticing the Garmin 60CSx and the DeLorme Earthmate PN-60, in particular, have the best amazon reviews for the most recent models, and people seem to be very satisfied with them. Between accuracy, memory, software, battery, and graphics, I'm mostly looking for the best model overall -- one which will last me for a while.
    You said that you are looking for "the best model overall." The only way to answer that question is to carefully consider what you will use it for. I have both units from Garmin and DeLorme.

The one I use the most is the Garmin Fenix, GPS watch. It does everything larger gps units do, but has two drawbacks: 1)The display is very small and 2)The battery must be recharged often.

When driving, I use my iPhone. It is much more user friendly than pure GPS units. I would argue that if you have a smart phone, you don't need a separate GPS unless you do backcountry hiking in areas without cell coverage.

When I travel outside the U.S. or hike in the back country, I use my iPhone paired with a DeLorme InReach. My iPhone has a better display than any of the hand held GPS units. The DeLorme InReach provides the GPS data and two way text communication.
    Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    I'd love to watch you two finding your way in a whiteout. (like we had to in the Pyrenees 10 years ago)
    Or, a driving snowstorm (with a foot already on the ground, like I had in WY in 2002)
    Or, finding a gas station in Issan (northeastern Thailand) where the locals don't even speak Thai, let alone English
    Or bushwhacking the Bitteroots where all the hoodoos look the same.
    Or kayaking the Grand Canyon and fighting darkness, and the rapids, and the slowpokes in your group and chosing the best campsite.
    Or...............well, that thing has saved my butt many many times over. (try driving through Bangkok from one end to the other without one)

GPS can save the day!
    Brain can get confused!
    It happens.
    Believe it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIakZtDmMgo

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    The only reason that would make sense to bring a GPS on the AT would be to learn how to use one. It'd be great for that but once you figured out how to use it you'd put it away and never use it again (on the AT) most likely.
    Actually, with the note function of waypoints you can copy Data books or Trail guides for each shelter/water source/town/shuttle phone numbers/etc. That way you have all that info at your fingertips without having to lug a book or stacks of paper with you on your hike. Also, its nice being able to figure out where the nearest AYCE restaurants are! I would definitely recommend a Garmin handheld, Magellan and Delorme(with the exception of the InReach, which isn't a standalone GPS) just aren't putting anything new out and aren't bothering with new firmware updates for their current handhelds like Garmin is. I use a Garmin Dakota 20 which has a touchscreen and is under 5 ounces with batteries. Another lightweight one would be the Garmin Etrex 20, its not a touchscreen, but makes up for it with GLONASS support and a bigger internal memory. And speaking of memory, both GPS's have microSD slots to expand their capabilities.
    Last edited by lilricky; 12-31-2013 at 10:16.
    Maintainer of the Unofficial Trail GPS Map Page(Updated 3-8-16) Now updated with the Florida Trail, Lone Star Hiking Trail, Arizona Trail, and Appalachian Trail.

Thread is a year and a half old. I am going to copy Jaybirds post into a new thread and close this one as the OP probably made a decision by now. The thread is a little disjointed due to the time lapse, but feel free to go ahead and start a new thread if you would like to split off the conversation.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++