WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default which poncho with rain chaps

I've been looking at different ways to lighten my gain gear.the cuben rain chaps are pretty cool, but all the ponchos I have looked at don't seem to cover past the elbows. Are there cuben or really light sil nylon ponchos that give better coverage on the arms? I don't need to use it as a tarp just as raingear. Thanks, oh if you have other ideas to pair with the rain chaps let me know.

The Packa by CedarTreeI also was wanting to lighten my load, but wasn't as eager to give up full rain protection. I changed from Marmot Precip pants and jacket, along with a Gregory packcover and went to the Packa and Mountain Laurel Design rain chaps. I don't recall the exact weight savings, but it made me happy The added bonus was I don't get wet shoulder straps or the rain between pack and jacket back.

I've looked at the packa alot, it seems like it would be good while I was hiking but I don't care for the idea of having to remove my raingear to get to my pack. I like my military issue poncho because it gives great coverage, just wish it was lighter.

Does anyone have any experience with the anti gravity gear poncho? Looks like this one has full coverage for the arms.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4roar View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with the anti gravity gear poncho? Looks like this one has full coverage for the arms.
    +1 - also curious.

I also use the Packa and I LOVE it (also doubles as a pretty comfortable pillow). Along with the packa I use a pair of equinox chaps. I have not gotten the chance to use them yet though, even though I have walked around in my house w them a few times
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Maybe I should look a little closer at the packa. Does it cover down to the chaps?

Yes it does.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

I use "The Packa" also...
    "I'm your Huckleberry..."

Well I got my anti gravity gear poncho today. It's not exactly what I planned. It is a great poncho, very well made. But not large enough to cover my osprey exos. It should be perfect for day hikes with a small pack or hiking/ fishing trips where there is a chance of rain, but not for me on a thru. So after the praise the packa received and looking at it alot I'll be ordering one tomorrow. Thanks for the replies. I'll let ya know what I think about it when it comes in.

Got my packa yesterday and it's great. The best hood design I've tried. The plastic bill works perfectly and peripheral vision is excellent. I really like the tail piece in the back, gives coverage down to the back of my knees. Plenty breathable,and once its on the pack as a cover putting it on and taking it off as a rain or wind jacket is way easier than I ever thought it would be. Can ya tell im a fan? thanks cedar tree, awesome product.

++ New Posts ++