WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: layers

Question layers

i'm a cold weather wussie. i hiked 140 miles last season, starting at springer, in april. we did have a night of snow and blustery cold icy wind the next day. on that day, i hiked in my rei windpro pants. (yes, heavy by hiker standards, but oh so lovely). i probably wore some lt. wt. capilene underneath too. on top, i wore md. wt. capilene, a m.e.c. northernlite jacket, and my shell (precip). my gloves were black diamond jetstream --- love those too.
    this year, i'm starting in march -- i haven't picked an exact date yet. i'm more concerned about the weather this time around though. i will take a md. wt. long sleeve zip neck capilene top, ss silk wt. top, still, likely, my northernlites jacket, and precip shell --- but, as an extra layer of warmth, i'm debating a patagonia r1 zip neck top or a powerstretch zip neck top.
    the windpro pants are probably staying home this year, as some lt. wt. fleece or powerstretch with my rainpants will be adequate.
    any thoughts on what works for you for layers? i haven't weighed my r1 vs. the powerstretch yet. it seems the powerstretch would be warmer, as the r1 has the fleecy side shaved in a grid pattern on the interior. hmmm....by the way, when warmer, i hike in a skirt.
    thank you,
    d

Denise
    I started March 10th last year. When cold I hiked in a t shirt and 100 weight fleece shirt. When really cold or wet would wear my precip jacket. I also had silk long underwear top and bottoms. I never used them to hike in, only to sleep in at night. My only pants were a pair of convertables. Didn't have any rain pants. Don't know about anybody else, but it worked for me.

Scorpion GA Me 04

Images

Default What works for me as long as I'm moving

Lightweight (not heavier expedition weight) polypropylene tights under nylon pants is all I need below the waist in the coldest weather.

Up top, long sleeve lightweight polypropylene shirt with two 200 weight fleece zip up jackets over it. This gives a lot of flexibility as far as venting if I get too warm.

If I start feeling chilled when I stop, I throw my Frogg Toggs jacket on.

I've comfortably hiked and snowshoed with this set up down to 5 below.

American Idiot
    Images

What's with the naming of brands? Light-mid-heavy polypro or fleece. Water resistant/breathable/proof jacket. KISS
    How many more of our soldiers must die in Iraq?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pencil Pusher
    What's with the naming of brands? Light-mid-heavy polypro or fleece. Water resistant/breathable/proof jacket.
    It's what I wear. People mention brand names here all the time.

KISS
    Water resistant/breathable/proof = 32 characters and spaces

Frogg Toggs = 11 characters and spaces

No wonder they call you Pencil Pusher. Do you work for the Department of Verbosity?
    Last edited by c.coyle; 01-23-2005 at 19:13. Reason: Hit the wrong key on my Gateway computer

American Idiot
    Images

Frogg Toggs aka flip flops? What the heck are Frogg Toggs and why do I need to know their name? Yeah, people use names all the time and it's slightly annoying. That's my two pennies. I am called Pencil Pusher due to my chizel chest and ripped abs

Default Let your fingers do the walking.....

Pencil Pusher-"Frogg Toggs aka flip flops? What the heck are Frogg Toggs and why do I need to know their name? Yeah, people use names all the time and it's slightly annoying."
    Might try exercising your fingers with GOOGLE to find THIS. More pencil pushing, less grousing.

American Idiot
    Images

My fingers get all the exercise they need with Palmela and her five sisters choking the one-eyed bandit. Christ on high, if I had to Google everything everyone said here, especially the long-winded ones... holy hell I'd be an old man in no time flat. "My Mountain Hardwear Extreme Light toothbrush" aye carumba...

Default brands

go choke whoever.
    we're using brand names to avoid all the tiny spec details.
    it's been very cold here this week in n.c., so i've had plenty of cold weather hiking opportunities. my biggest concern has been for when i stop hiking, ..... will i be warm enough? i think i will, especially with a zero degree bag as final back up. i keep plenty warm when moving, with few layers.
    thank you to the serious contributors, and not to those busy with their 'bandit'.

Images

have you thought about a vest under your shell instead of a jacket? my setup (i havent thru-hiked yet, but have hiked the AT in GA/TN/NC/VA in march (not at the same time<g>)) was mid-wt merino wool socks, mid-wt poly pro bottoms (hot chilly's), and a pair of convertible pants, on top i wore a mid-wt poly pro, t-shirt, vest, and then my shell. sometimes would be a bit chilly starting out, but within 15-20 minutes, i usually lost the shell. once at camp, i would switch to my hvy wt socks. i tend to be a furnace though, so what worked for me, might not work for you
    Fantasies are Merely realities in waiting!

Images

Default Upon further review ...

... Pencil Pusher, you make a good point. My original post isn't clear unless you know what Frogg Toggs are. I could have said "rain jacket" instead. You are right. A little grumpy, but right.

American Idiot
    Images

Now I feel too guilty to entertain myself with another wacky post... Denise, as the old saying goes, "If you bring bivy gear, you will bivy." Turn your question into answers by getting out there, senorita.

I take the same as you but use a Marmot Dry-Clime as an insulator and highly recommend...also take a WM Flight Jacket as camp protection, but usually just use as a pillow!

I'm a very big fan of the R1 flash pullover. It's a very versatile shirt and I've discovered that you can regulate the warmth by zipping up or down, and tucking the shirt in or wearing it outside your pants. I wear a midweight capelene zip t shirt under it when it's very cold and a lightweight when things warm up a bit.

Turn your question into answers by getting out there, senorita.
    The entire purpose of this forum is so that people can ask questions and get answers.

American Idiot
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JoeHiker
    The entire purpose of this forum is so that people can ask questions and get answers.
    No shlt. Either a post of mine got edited or I accidentally deleted this excerpt I'll recite from memory: something along the lines of "With the varying physical conditions of the folks here, will you find their many opinions more helpful than getting out there and seeing for yourself?"

My physiology could allow me to prefer hiking buck naked with Leki poles in the winter, to which I would respond, "Layers? We don't need no stinking layers!" Anyhoo, not to dig my hole any deeper, but it sounds like she has enough hiking experience to make an informed decision.

No shlt. Either a post of mine got edited or I accidentally deleted this excerpt I'll recite from memory: something along the lines of "With the varying physical conditions of the folks here, will you find their many opinions more helpful than getting out there and seeing for yourself?"
    It's not a competition. If she finds them helpful at all, then the forum has served it's purpose.

My physiology could allow me to prefer hiking buck naked with Leki poles in the winter, to which I would respond, "Layers? We don't need no stinking layers!" Anyhoo, not to dig my hole any deeper, but it sounds like she has enough hiking experience to make an informed decision.
    Perhaps she does. Yet she has come here looking to hear other experiences to inform that decision. She collects all the experiences even to the point of hearing actual brand names (gasp!) takes that along with her own experience and makes her decision.

Default forum

i asked a very specific question, with specific brand names. lots of us find whiteblaze very helpful in planning our next hikes. it's a wonderful resource, with many knowledgeable people that contribute. that experience gets a little tarnished when someone pisses on that spirit.
    i know what's worked for me hiking on the a.t. in april, though i'm staring in march this time. so, i could face some colder temps, plus more snow than before. using specific brand names tells the reader exactly what the garment is, without having to say "100ish wt. fleece, with the inside fleecy side shaved in a grid pattern, and kinda smooth knit fabric on the other side, with a zipper, and high neck .... " instead, i can say patagonia r1 zip neck top. KISS that.

Hey Denise... glad to see that you are getting ready to go again. Hike well, enjoy yourself.... you've got what it takes

++ New Posts ++