WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Here's a scenario, what if a guy does a sub-2 hour marathon on an approved course for world records. But he does it with a 20-mph tailwind. Is there an asterix* placed next to the guy's name?
    John, this is just a guess, but I'm thinking that the wind speed wouldn't matter so much if it's a loop course in that you'd be hitting headwind as much as tailwind? Still, I'm sure there's an upper limit on windspeed. I dunno... I'm going to try to find the correct answer, though.

And I agree with Max on all points. Personally I'd toast with champagne if I do a sub 3:50.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post

3. A video game ain't no sport.
    It is.

http://www.gotfrag.com/

http://www.majorleaguegaming.com/

From dictionary.com: an athletic activity requiring skill OR physical prowess and often of a competitive nature

split second decisions, competitive nature, hand-eye coordination, lightning reflexes, I could probably go on. Look up gaming LANs and competitions, and tell me it isn't.

Images

It's staggering to me that he runs 13 miles an hour. That's faster than I ride my bike around town, for heaven's sake. Totally amazing.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    It's staggering to me that he runs 13 miles an hour. That's faster than I ride my bike around town, for heaven's sake. Totally amazing.
    Yeah. I'm not much for running, but I can walk all day.

John, that's a great article. What struck me looking at the graph were the "trigger point years" where the marathon times made noticeable decreases.

It would be interesting to try and determine what caused these dramatic decreases- running shoe technology, end of a World War, Space program initiatives, etc.

I suspect you could do the same with long distance hiking records if you could find them.

Images

We came fairly close to seeing a sub yesterday my friend ran the Boston so I watched it pretty close.

Just saw a fascinating doc on TV about Anton Krupicka a 100 mile ultramarathoner he runs 160-200 miles a week when training. Not sure where is head is at to have that kind of commitment.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

I think if you want to finish Leadville, you must train at least 140 miles/week.
    At altitude.
    I trained for it for 8 months and 2 of those months were in CO.
    I did so because I remember the stories from good ultra-runners during my thru of the CDT 3 years earlier who came only a week before the race and bonked.

Anyway, most of us won't live to see a sub 2 minute marathon IMO.
    Unless it's downhill.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbender View Post
    I don't run marathons, so i wouldn't be able to beat them. It would be like getting one of the marathon runners a computer and having them try to beat me in a first person shooter. Different sports, different abilities.
    Running is a sport, video games are....games.

Quote Originally Posted by bobqzzi View Post
    Running is a sport, video games are....games.
    No, I already explained how videogames were a sport, read my post above. It is competitive, team oriented, takes athletic ability, and great hand-eye coordination, more than tennis does, at top tier levels. I'm not talking about some fat guy in his mother's basement playing xbox, I am talking world class gamers, the competition is fierce. I know, I have played close to that level years ago.

the fierceness of the competition does not make it a sport! regardless of their gaming prowess, and no one is saying that you or any other gamer is not excellent, it is not a sport. competitive cooking, food eating contests, etc. are not sports, in basements or not, and regardless of girth. get real!

Quote Originally Posted by tigerpaw View Post
    the fierceness of the competition does not make it a sport! regardless of their gaming prowess, and no one is saying that you or any other gamer is not excellent, it is not a sport. competitive cooking, food eating contests, etc. are not sports, in basements or not, and regardless of girth. get real!
    It is a sport, by the very definition of what a sport is.

I noticed all the older people are saying it is not a sport. I bet many people my age and under would disagree. I am 31, I grew up building computers and playing games, back when it wasn't "cool". Now everyone has an xbox or ps3, I still prefer computers. I played Doom 2 multiplayer in 1994, over a dial up modem.

I could give you a billion webpages to look up to verify what I have been saying, but I figure everyone here knows how to use google.

A running thread had the following from the IAAF rulebook regarding marathon courses certified for world records:

"5. For all road records:
    a. The course must not have a net decrease in elevation from start to finish exceeding 1 part per thousand (i.e., 1m per km).
    b. The start and finish of the race must lie no more than 30% of the race distance apart as measured along the straight line between them, except when it can be shown that the average component of the wind direction at the head of the race (the lead runner) did not constitute a significant tailwind.
    NOTE: A tailwind shall be deemed to be significant if it prevails consistently throughout more than fifty percent (50%) of the course during the race."

There are a bunch of other rules, but those stood out. I'm guessing that the course judges have guidelines to determine the 50% rule.

If some would like to discuss the merits of computer games and "headless chunks of flesh," I really wish they'd start another thread in a different forum.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    If some would like to discuss the merits of computer games and "headless chunks of flesh," I really wish they'd start another thread in a different forum.
    We were discussing world record sports times, ect. It is within the subject matter, which was why I brought it up. Then everyone was going back and forth, discussing whether or not it is a sport, which is what sidetracked the thread.

And I thought it was just a matter of running down the road Lot of thought went into the rules for a marathon.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    And I thought it was just a matter of running down the road Lot of thought went into the rules for a marathon.
    Yeah, best run I ever did was 4 miles in 26 mins in the Army, not much for longer than that, might be able to do a mile today.

Images

Supposedly April is action month on Universal TV and I have been watching all these old documentaries on human endurance marathons, expeditions, etc.

After watching Indulgence chronicling Anton Krupicka (Ultramarathoner and two time winner of the Leadville) I watched "Pedal to the Midnight Sun" made in 2006. Josh and Ben cycle 1200 miles across Alaska, they are pretty funny. At the beginning of the film they were asked how they met and they said they met while hiking the AT and became great friends and then they also did a "Paddle to Seattle" which is sea kayaking from Alaska to Seattle.

I am sure they have been discussed before on Whiteblaze but I found them fun to watch they so have the hiker mentality and doing what they love.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbender View Post
    It is a sport, by the very definition of what a sport is.

I noticed all the older people are saying it is not a sport. I bet many people my age and under would disagree. I am 31, I grew up building computers and playing games, back when it wasn't "cool". Now everyone has an xbox or ps3, I still prefer computers. I played Doom 2 multiplayer in 1994, over a dial up modem.

I could give you a billion webpages to look up to verify what I have been saying, but I figure everyone here knows how to use google.
    I've done 2 marathons, 6 half-marathons and a handful at shorter distances, I also play video games (Call Of Duty: Black Ops is my currnet fave). I would consider video gaming as a sport in the same vein that 9-ball pool is a sport.

EA Sports just announced that the 2012 version of "Hiking The Appalachian Trail" will feature "Baltimore Jack" Tarlin on the cover. The game will be compatible on all major gaming systems and pc's as well as most smart phones. Those that beat the game by "hiking" past all the white blazes will receive a facsimile "completion certificate" from the ATC.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    EA Sports just announced that the 2012 version of "Hiking The Appalachian Trail" will feature "Baltimore Jack" Tarlin on the cover. The game will be compatible on all major gaming systems and pc's as well as most smart phones. Those that beat the game by "hiking" past all the white blazes will receive a facsimile "completion certificate" from the ATC.
    Forget it. Trying to convince people that gaming is a sport is like arguing evolution with a creationist. They don't listen to facts, and their opinion is meaningless.

Whether or not you think it is a sport is irrelevant. It is, by definition.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jbwood5 View Post
    Yep, I ran a 4.38 competition mile in my High School senior year in the 1960's (good but no where near great). When I hit the finish (2nd place) my legs were rubber and I fell to the track. Today I could not run a marathon in twice his time.
    That is so amazing that this guy could run 4:42 pace for 26+ miles.
    The human has evolved into such an incredible creation!... however, I have to believe that this guy has reached his peak. It is a short lived sport.
    Doubtful. Geoffrey Mutai is only 30 years old. He still has a few good years in him yet. Haile Gebrselassie was 35 when he ran his 2:03:59 Berlin Marathon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++