WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Calling all shoe guru's !!!

OK well, unfortunately I am forced to prematurely retire my NorthFace boots as of my last trip. I have narrowed my selection down to 2 different shoes.

1) Merrell Moab XCR's
    2) Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2

USE: NY/NJ/PA hiking, lots of rocks, rugged terrain, etc.

Any pro's and con's to eachother or is it just a preference? Both of these shoes get awesome reviews but I notice that alot of the 'reviewers' are just using them to go on jogs, etc. I'm looking for a potential thru-hiking shoe! Something comfortable on my feet for long periods of time, long miles, lightweight, breathable, etc. Both of these shoes SEEM to fit the criteria so I'm calling on the guru's to point out anything I may not see/realize/ or take into consideration. Any advantage/disadvantage to each shoes tread design? I was a little worried about the Saloman's 'pull string' for tightening shoelaces, not sure if I feel really comfortable about this, any insight?

Thanks guys (and girls)
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

28 views and nothing? Maybe some links will help

Merrell Moab XCR
    http://www.shoemall.com/product/Merr...colate-619337/

Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2
    http://www.shoemall.com/product/Salo...-Swamp-627454/

Initially, the first thing that I notice is the difference in the front toe. I really like the way that Salomon has their toe box designed, looks like it could withstand alot of abuse... PLUS!

Than theres the fact that its a pull-string lace system. I don't have personal experience with this but I feel it could be problematic. I usually tuck my laces inside the boot and I know this is not possible with this system because of the knob on the end. Is it annoying having them flap around? Any opinions?

Open discussion ....

These shoes are pretty different fits - Solomon's run narrow. Quality wise, I would go with the Solomon based on reputation (I've owned Merrell's and don't really like them). I recently moved to Inov-8's and really love them. Well constructed, great grip. They have a wide, comfortable toe box.

The best shoe in the world is junk if it doesn't fit your foot. Try 'em on first.

Quote Originally Posted by 88BlueGT View Post
    OK well, unfortunately I am forced to prematurely retire my NorthFace boots as of my last trip. I have narrowed my selection down to 2 different shoes.

1) Merrell Moab XCR's
    2) Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2

USE: NY/NJ/PA hiking, lots of rocks, rugged terrain, etc.

Any pro's and con's to eachother or is it just a preference? Both of these shoes get awesome reviews but I notice that alot of the 'reviewers' are just using them to go on jogs, etc. I'm looking for a potential thru-hiking shoe! Something comfortable on my feet for long periods of time, long miles, lightweight, breathable, etc. Both of these shoes SEEM to fit the criteria so I'm calling on the guru's to point out anything I may not see/realize/ or take into consideration. Any advantage/disadvantage to each shoes tread design? I was a little worried about the Saloman's 'pull string' for tightening shoelaces, not sure if I feel really comfortable about this, any insight?

Thanks guys (and girls)
    Salomons rock!!! Stay away from their Gore XT Wings... Keep ur feet dry 4ever, but once they wet thru, take 4ever to dry... Kinda an oxymoron... How did the Kettle cooking go??? Inquiring minds dontchaknow...

^^ Good tip, thanks!

Rocketjones, I agree. No matter what shoe I choose from function, look, performance, etc. the ultimate decision will be the feel. I just have a great jump start if I have a selection to work from.

I read a bunch of reviews on the Salomans and alot of people complained about the lace system being horrible. Different stories of the pull knob breaking to pieces of the lace breaking. Thinking maybe if the holes are big enough on the connecting piece if I could use my own lace with the boot so I don't have to use their system? Anyone have any ideas on this?

Toli, I did mess with the Kettle a little bit an hour or two ago, I will post in the thread now. Thanks for reminding me!

AT Wanderer and '08 Dreamer Kevin A. Boyce's Avatar
    Images

Just remember that the Moab is a trail/hiker and the Salomon is a trail runner. Depending on your use the Salomon may not get the same milage as the Merrell.

Images

If fitting a narrower foot is your biggest goal, you may find the Salomon XA series of trail runners to work well for you. But you will have to check out the lacing system for yourself and see if it snugs up well for you.

You might want to consider Oboz as well. They are solid in quality, from the folks that originally created Montrail. They are especially good for narrower feet.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

I like a light shoe for hiking but the weights aren't mentioned on the pages you linked to. I'm guessing the Merrill is a little heavier since it uses some leather. The Salomon mentions there is a "pocket" to tuck your laces into and in the one pair of shoes I have with this style of lace "lock" (a pair of Goretex New Balance Trail Runners that I don't hike or run with, but use as a waterproof street shoe) this pocket (near the top of the tongue) works pretty well. What I don't know is if the locking system would have problems if your laces picked up a lot of mud, which they will on the trail. Do you have access to a shoe store where you could try these on?

Mapman, I have a local EMS but I don't believe they carry this shoe. I will call tomorrow and check. I am about an hour from campmor though, so thats always an option.

Glad to hear that there is some kind of pocket on the Salomon! Everyone is saying that the Salomon shoes run narrow so I really need to be careful with that, I do not have wide feet but I do not want a narrow shoe. My brother, who has about the same size/shape foot as me, tried the Merrells before and said he had to take them back because he felt that they ran narrow. Guess I need to just try them on for myself and see what fits best.

Oboz will be considered, I will look into them ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    The best shoe in the world is junk if it doesn't fit your foot. Try 'em on first.
    BE REALLY REALLY CAREFUL WITH SHOE REVIEWS!!! It's good. It's bad. I loved them. I hated them. They lasted a long time. They fell apart after 400 miles. I got them on sale. This so and so place currently has them on sale. They had my size. If I apply my rebate, etc They work well in this or that terrain, etc etc etc. It all means little if they don't compliment your intended use and MOST IMPORTANTLY, the characteristics of your feet!!!

IMO too, when it comes to hiking shoes, what determines what WILL WORK FOR YOU, what will be BEST FOR YOU is fit!! MATCHING YOUR FOOT TO A SHOE MADE FOR YOUR KIND OF FEET! It should be at the forefront of every GOOD SHOE REVIEW/recommendation!

After wearing out a couple pair of Montrail Hardrocks, I wore Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2's the last 1000 miles of my 09 thru. I highly recommend Salomons based on this experience.

Yes - there is a pocket in the tongue to tuck the laces, so they do not flap around. The system works well.

I did have a lace failure and had to do a field repair with some string. It would be a good idea to carry a spare Salomon lace kit.

Images

i have heard the salomon's were recently having longevity issues. i don't know if that's verified or not though. these will be my next trail runners:

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/sho..._id=GoogleBase
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

I got 1700 miles on my merrell moabs, but they look like hell. I am really good at fixing things. Replaced the laces with paracord and reattached the upper.

Images

Try on the store and take the best fit
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Images

I have used the Moab and Refuge, and I find the extra $$ on the Refuge was well worht it. This makes the Moab non-sensical.
    Like wearing Air Jordans on the trail. The only gripe I have about the two is the soul is not rigid enuff to protect my arches from a well placed stone stabbing my arches. Sals, idk...

Images

I know you say you've narrowed it down to two - you might want to check these out though - I have several pairs of La Sportiva Shoes - they are my favorites - very good quality.

http://www.lasportiva.com/catalogue/...81&Language=EN

I don't think anyone has said it yet, so I will. You mention Gore-Tex and breathable together.
    You will find that anything waterproof will be hardly breathable at all and your feet will get sweaty. Also, once the inside gets wet from sweat it takes longer to dry out.

You're better off with a really breathable shoe and carry a pair of waterproof socks for days when it gets ankle-deep wet. You will find out soon that your feet will be damp most of the time anyhow, and that attempts to prevent it will only delay it.

Also, if you weigh in the 200lb. plus range you probably won't get more than 400 miles per pair from any lightweight footwear. I wear the outside of my heels first, and the cushion gets compressed to where the lack of it is noticeable by 200 miles or so.

Most importantly: If it doesn't fit perfectly it's going to give you trouble, and on a long hike your feet will probably swell (though a few don't have that problem). You may need to buy a larger pair after a few weeks on the trail. My feet swell so quickly that I need to start off with thick socks and switch to thinner ones after just a week, normally.
    Last edited by Tinker; 04-23-2011 at 12:13. Reason: Deleted and added information
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

i'm using merrell moabs for my sobo thru hike this summer...not the goretex version though...i agree with the earlier post regarding waterproof and breathable....haven't had good luck with them.....love the merrell fit...make sure to try them on and spend some time in them prior to purchasing....my local outfitter will actually let me take them home and wear around the house for a couple of days to insure it's the right fit...also i'd shy away from asolo...both my daughter and i have had bad luck with the soles delaminating...not because of our neglect and asolo customer service was pathetic...only support i received was from my outfitter

Thanks for all the tips guys, this is exactly why this thread was made!

I feel kind of dumb that I said I narrowed it down to 2, I did, BUT if I try them on and I don't like the feel of either of them I will certainly be open to suggestions. I think I may be taking the Merrells off the table due to the tread pattern. Like posted before, I do alot of NY/NJ/PA hiking and I don't think these would really be the best fit.

I'm always open to suggestions so..... suggest away and I will research! Thanks for everything guys.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++