WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default New Murmur Ultralight Pack

Gossamer has their new Murmur on sale for $125 normally $140. I was looking at this new model for a few days glad to see they put it on sale. Only 8oz I'll use this pack during the warmer weather. This is now the third pack from Gossamer I bought this month their sales always get me. Take notice ULA.

If you haven'y checked since this morning, they are already sold out. Sorry for the bad news. Maybe they'll rush some new ones into production.

No, I bought one they said back ordered till end of December. So I'm sure I could wait a few weeks. Won't use it till the warmer weather anyway.

AT 2012

don't make me whine. is it a lot nicer than the old one?
    Lazarus

Better get the wine. Check out the web site many pictures. I like the new harness set up as well. Only wish it was a tad bigger. I also like no mesh side pockets they are to to abrasion resistant.
    http://gossamergear.com/packs/backpa...kpack-297.html

bags: You strike me as a thorough GG equiment junky ( which is good). I have 2 ULAs, and am considering moving into lighter gear, pack, etc. The Murmur Hyperlight sure looks purty, so my question is really about size/capacity. GG naturally can't state too much, too heavy, so instead they say it's recommended for only 15 pds., which even in my new lightweight world is too light. What is the real experience on the Murmur, meaning will it handle up to 25 or so comfortably. thanks.
    "How can something this hard be so much fun".

I have a GG pack, too, but mine's a Granite Gear (Virga - no frame). It's made overseas, but it's a great design.

Does Gossamer Gear still make their packs onshore?

How about other "former cottage industry" manufacturers - Tarptent? Six Moon Designs?

I'm just curious if anyone knows. Recently Judy from Lightheart Gear decided to prominently display the nation of origin of her non-custom tents. They are made overseas.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Does Gossamer Gear still make their packs onshore?
    I'm just curious if anyone knows. Recently Judy from Lightheart Gear decided to prominently display the nation of origin of her non-custom tents. They are made overseas.
    My Gossamer Gear 2011 Murmur and my Gorilla both have a Made in the USA tag sewn on them. Also my Gossamer Gear "The One" tent has a Made in the USA tag attached.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

I heard that the "made is USA" tags are made in China.

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by GolfHiker View Post
    bags: You strike me as a thorough GG equiment junky ( which is good). I have 2 ULAs, and am considering moving into lighter gear, pack, etc. The Murmur Hyperlight sure looks purty, so my question is really about size/capacity. GG naturally can't state too much, too heavy, so instead they say it's recommended for only 15 pds., which even in my new lightweight world is too light. What is the real experience on the Murmur, meaning will it handle up to 25 or so comfortably. thanks.
    I have a murmur and a mariposa. I definitely wouldn't use the murmur for more than 15 or so pounds.hard to fit in 20. I would go for a heavier pack for a25 pound load.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Lazarus

Hike smarter, not harder.

Gossamer Gear is still made in the USA. So is ULA. I usually buy ULA since I hate sending money to Austin.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

1Azarus. thanks for the insight. Somehow my question about Murmur capacity turned into a thread about "made in the USA".... good info, just not the responses I expected...
    "How can something this hard be so much fun".

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I got a 2011 murmur based on lazurus's recommendation and love it. Hard to beat for a summer pack with less than a 15 lb load.

I have a 4 week section hike coming up at the end of April. I'm hoping to use this pack but it might not be possible, I could get my base weight down to 12 lbs but I sometimes carry up to 9 days of food. I'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Bags4266 View Post
    I have a 4 week section hike coming up at the end of April. I'm hoping to use this pack but it might not be possible, I could get my base weight down to 12 lbs but I sometimes carry up to 9 days of food. I'll see.
    I'm pretty sure this is not going to work..... I had a base weight of 12 lbs and 4 days worth of food and it was on the verge of being too much. Well, this was with last year's model, don't know about the new one.

Images

I used the Murmur for the 100 mile wilderness in August 2010. My pack weighed 21 lbs 10 oz when I left Katahdin Stream Campground. It was not uncomfortable and there aren't any significant climbs the first 50 + miles. Weight was down to 15 lbs or so by day four.

Hike smarter, not harder.

I'm really torn between picking up this Murmur, or waiting to see what the new Mini is going to look like.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMark View Post
    I used the Murmur for the 100 mile wilderness in August 2010. My pack weighed 21 lbs 10 oz when I left Katahdin Stream Campground. It was not uncomfortable and there aren't any significant climbs the first 50 + miles. Weight was down to 15 lbs or so by day four.
    That's cause those Alabama hikers are the real deal.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    That's cause those Alabama hikers are the real deal.
    Yeah but they will hold up in a Holiday Inn if rains a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by GolfHiker View Post
    What is the real experience on the Murmur, meaning will it handle up to 25 or so comfortably.
    This depends on several factors. • Are you comfortable carrying all the weight on your shoulders?• Are you using the included pads, socks, or nothing in the straps?• Is the 20-25# only a few days until your consumables weight comes down?• Is the volume of your food and gear small enough to fit without forcing things?I usually use my GG G6 Whisper "Uberlite" (4oz) for starting weights up to 15#,then switch to my GG Murmur (8oz) for starting weights up to 25#,then switch to my GG (Granite Gear) Vapor Trail (32oz) for winter hiking. YMMV
    Last edited by couscous; 12-20-2011 at 01:32. Reason: Typo
    Backpacking light, feels so right.

++ New Posts ++