WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Tarp: can I stand up and hang?

When I don't use a hammock, I usually use the Flying Diamond setup, or Trapezoid if I'm particularly concerned about weather. I like to have a place where I can stand up inside.

When I do use a hammock, I use an A or modified A, but I miss having a corner where I can stand up.

Surely someone out there has figured out a way to set up a tarp that is secure for me, my hammock, and my dog in heavy weather, but has room for me to stand up? I haven't come up with a good solution yet ...

Images

i haven't. i hang with dog 12" off ground with tarp near ridgeline in bad weather. nice days is another story.
    Last edited by kayak karl; 04-24-2011 at 12:09.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

ive never touched a hammoc. but what if two trees were growing in a ditch or depression? could the fly be pitched low but enough room to stand exist? do you come across ditches for this use?
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    ive never touched a hammoc. but what if two trees were growing in a ditch or depression? could the fly be pitched low but enough room to stand exist? do you come across ditches for this use?
    I'd be concerned that the storm water would flow into or through the ditch, I try to keep whatever is under my tarp nice and dry.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i haven't. i hang with dog 12" off ground with tarp near ridgeline in bad weather. nice days is another story.
    I carry a 10' x 12' silnylon tarp, that's big enough to set up an A with the hammock at low sitting level and still get both ends down to the ground and staked in securely. If it gets windy or really stormy, I get closer to the ground. In pleasant rain, I use a modified A so I can watch the rain ;->

++ New Posts ++