WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hammock Hanger & Backpacker WalksInDark's Avatar

:banana Looking For "Base Person" For Upcoming A.T. Thru Hike

Let me start by saying that I am a “mentally young,” single, metro D.C./Maryland, senior citizen who has long had the philosophy of “Wear it (sic, my body) out, don’t just sit around and wait for it (sic, my body) to rust ---allegory--- out. Having had to sell my Hobie catamaran earlier this year because I couldn’t find folks ---my age or even much younger folks--- who actually enjoyed hard core sailing and were willing to tackle adventurous wind and sea conditions ; I am determined to try something new and challenging, possibly hiking the whole A.T. this year.

For the past three years I have been doing day and weekend hiking on the A.T. The most I have hiked on one three day trip was probably around 30 miles carrying a 35-40 pound pack. (As you may have noticed from my pack weight listed above: up until now I have been much more interested in camp comfort, than backpacking speed.) Typically, by this time of year, I would have been backpacking weekly for at least 2-3 months or so. Alas, due to the weather…and my recent move to the D.C. metro area from southwest VA, I have yet to get out this year at all. DRAT!

However, while I have not been out hiking, I have been “thrift shopping” and buying what I hope will be all of the clothes, gear, and accessories necessary to successfully complete the A.T. (With my new purchases, I have tried to make reasonable concessions regarding the need to carry a lighter pack so as to increase my backpacking speed and stamina.)

Anyhow, here is my game plan. In a few days or so, I plan on putting on my pack and traveling leisurely along a single A.T. section for a straight week or to see how it goes. If blisters, fatigue, or cramps don’t hold me back; then I will do another week/section. During both trips I will be refining the type and amount of gear I would need to continue north on the A.T. If during any part of the three week trail period, I determine that I don’t want or wouldn’t enjoy doing the whole A.T. at once; I will resign myself to that fact and will continue to just knock of A.T. section hikes as time allows.

If my three week trial period is successful, I would really like to try to do the entire A.T. this year.

Now here is the “fly in the ointment” for me:

I really need to find someone very responsible who would enjoy becoming my “base person.While I have read about folks who manage to complete the entire A.T. via their own self-sufficiency; I know that, given that the trip will be funded by my pitifully small monthly Social Security checks, I will absolutely need regular re-supply mail drops for much of my food, all of my medicine, most (if not all) replacement gear and clothes. As much as I would love to be able to stay in very comfortable motels whenever I am in town, eat at the best restaurants, and purchase new gear or clothes whenever I feel like it, from whatever outfitter is nearby; the fact of the matter is I have a limited budget (which should prove to be adequate as long as I watch my nickels and dimes, LOL) to spend and need to economize where possible to be able to make the journey down the A.T. this year by both fun and as stress free as possible.

If you think that you might be willing to be my “base person,” drop me an e-mail and I will be in touch so that we can discuss whether and/or if the base person role is one you are willing and able to accept.

ASIDE: I can guarantee that whoever ultimately becomes my base person will hear (via weekly calls or e-mails) and see (via digital pictures, videos) enough funny and/or stupid backpacking/hiking stuff so that they could do a 30 minute Toastmasters (humorous) speech weekly regarding the perils and pitfalls of my backpacking adventures for the rest of the base person’s life ! It is not so much that I am such a clown (at least not in my mind), as it is my penchant for ending up in ridiculous circumstances and/or unique conditions on a fairly regular basis.

P.S. For the next couple of weeks, I hope to be out doing my “shake down” hikes; so don’t be surprised if I am unable to respond to your e-mail immediately.

Wish me luck as, over the next few weeks, I take on the alien-to-me new concept of lower pack weight versus greater camp comfort.
    You May Be S l o w...But You Are Ahead Of Me!

you may have just offered anything, im unable to read such colored posts.
    matthewski

me? him, or both?
    matthewski

Wow, *** was that? I am confused
    Those that danced were thought mad by those who could not hear the music. George Carlin

Slowest Hiker On Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Kepley View Post
    alright, alright, spare me your life story. Also please never post on WB again. I think I speak for the whole community.
    You thought wrong. He wasn't being rude or a total jerk off like some other people on the forums so let him speak. Sheesh.

Mweinstone your message was appropriate. Sorry about the confusion. I wrote that to Puffer because I have never read so much nonsense in a post in my entire life.

alright, alright, spare me your life story. Also please never post on WB again. I think I speak for the whole community.
    Really? I thought it was very readable. I think asking someone to help you out on a thru hike, because you have no one to do it, is courageous. He is willing to put his trust in a complete stranger! That's either courageous or foolhardy.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

My mistake. I thought he was asking for money, and apparently he was just asking for someone to mail packages. I misunderstood the post. I should have finished reading it before commenting. Sorry Puffer

Images

I must solicit your strictest confidence in this transaction. This is by virtue of its nature as being utterly confidential and "Top Secret". You have been recommended by an backpacker who assured me in confidence of your ability and reliability to prosecute a pending business transaction of great magnitude, requiring maximum confidence.

We are top officials of the Federal Government Contracts Review (Appalachiantralia) panel who are interested in the importation of goods into our country with funds which are presently confined in Nantahala. In order to commence this business, we solicit your assistance to enable us to transfer into your account, the said trapped funds.

The following represents the source of the funds. During the last regime her in Nantahala, the Government officials set up companies and awarded themselves contracts which were grossly over invoiced in various ministries which informed the setting up of the Contract Safety Meeting Board by the present Hiker Government to advice on the aforementioned. We have identified a lot of inflated thermarests which are presently floating in the Central Bank of Shenendoah ready for payment, amongst which is the said sum of US$31,320,000 (Thirty One Million, Three-Hundred and Twenty Thousand United States Dollars) that we solicit your assistance for the transfer. As we are unable to manage the transfer all by ourselves by virtue of our position as civil servants and members of this Panel, I have therefore been delegated as a matter of trust by my colleagues on the Panel to solicit for a hiking partner into whose account we would transfer the said sum.

We have agreed to share the money thus:

1. 25% for the Account Owner (you)
    2. 65% for us (The Ridgerunners)
    3. 10% to be used in settling all expenses (our end and your end to end). Incidental to the realization of this transaction.

It is from the 65% that we wish to commence the importation business. Please note that this transaction is 100% safe and we hope to conclude the transaction in at most 10 banking days from : 234-30-408550 and 234-90-408674, the date of the receipt of the following information from you by Mail Drop through your trail name and address, your hiking partner's name and you number (through Harper's Ferry), bearing in mind the Trail Days and other important season) we are in.

As a token of our appreciation to you, we shall make available to you at less than market price as much as 100 canisters of MSR Stove fuel for spot lift.

The above information from you will enable us write letters of claim and job description respectively enabling us use your Trail Name and Journal details to apply for payment. We are looking forward to doing this business with you and solicit your confidentiality in this transaction. Please acknowledge the receipt of this mail drop using the above bounce box. I will bring you into the complete picture of this pending project when I have heard from you.

Yours Faithfully,

Prince Appalachikan Traila
    Sultan of Long Trailia

Images

Default Entire life ?

Mweinstone your message was appropriate. Sorry about the confusion. I wrote that to Puffer because I have never read so much nonsense in a post in my entire life.
    You got a long way to go, young'en. At age 23 I can say you ain't seen nothing yet. You will be amazed in the years ahead.That being said, as a senior and widower with kids living overseas, I do have a certain empathy for the OP. I have what I call a "lifeguard" who I rely on to keep track of my back country travel and to notify rangers if I do not check in within a certain period. He has access to my resources and it's good to know if I need anything from bail money to air ambulance transport, I have someone on the case. The OP has a legit need, IMHO, he's just putting a lot out there when the answer might be closer than he realizes.
    Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other.
    —M. C. Richards

Images

my ridiculous previous post aside - I know yall think it was funny - I'd actually be happy to help you - p/m me - I've mentored several thru hikers, know the trail well and would be happy to assist

Papa D that was amazing. I laughed thru the whole thing. So nice that you offered to help. There are some very intelligent and creative people here on WB. I wish I were one of them.
    Those that danced were thought mad by those who could not hear the music. George Carlin

Funny, but not creative....it's the same junk emails that we all get asking us to help some widow bestowed with vast amounts of wealth, hoping to spread the wealth in the name of Jesus, humanity, or some other global cause....

this thread is f***ed and I only have myself to blame. Allow me to offer my apologies once again puff. Hope Papa D helps you out and his ponzie scheme does not deter you from trusting him.

Images

yep, i'm the Bernie Madoff of WB - ha ha ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    I must solicit your strictest confidence in this transaction. This is by virtue of its nature as being utterly confidential and "Top Secret". You have been recommended by an backpacker who assured me in confidence of your ability and reliability to prosecute a pending business transaction of great magnitude, requiring maximum confidence.

We are top officials of the Federal Government Contracts Review (Appalachiantralia) panel who are interested in the importation of goods into our country with funds which are presently confined in Nantahala. In order to commence this business, we solicit your assistance to enable us to transfer into your account, the said trapped funds.

The following represents the source of the funds. During the last regime her in Nantahala, the Government officials set up companies and awarded themselves contracts which were grossly over invoiced in various ministries which informed the setting up of the Contract Safety Meeting Board by the present Hiker Government to advice on the aforementioned. We have identified a lot of inflated thermarests which are presently floating in the Central Bank of Shenendoah ready for payment, amongst which is the said sum of US$31,320,000 (Thirty One Million, Three-Hundred and Twenty Thousand United States Dollars) that we solicit your assistance for the transfer. As we are unable to manage the transfer all by ourselves by virtue of our position as civil servants and members of this Panel, I have therefore been delegated as a matter of trust by my colleagues on the Panel to solicit for a hiking partner into whose account we would transfer the said sum.

We have agreed to share the money thus:

1. 25% for the Account Owner (you)
    2. 65% for us (The Ridgerunners)
    3. 10% to be used in settling all expenses (our end and your end to end). Incidental to the realization of this transaction.

It is from the 65% that we wish to commence the importation business. Please note that this transaction is 100% safe and we hope to conclude the transaction in at most 10 banking days from : 234-30-408550 and 234-90-408674, the date of the receipt of the following information from you by Mail Drop through your trail name and address, your hiking partner's name and you number (through Harper's Ferry), bearing in mind the Trail Days and other important season) we are in.

As a token of our appreciation to you, we shall make available to you at less than market price as much as 100 canisters of MSR Stove fuel for spot lift.

The above information from you will enable us write letters of claim and job description respectively enabling us use your Trail Name and Journal details to apply for payment. We are looking forward to doing this business with you and solicit your confidentiality in this transaction. Please acknowledge the receipt of this mail drop using the above bounce box. I will bring you into the complete picture of this pending project when I have heard from you.

Yours Faithfully,

Prince Appalachikan Traila
    Sultan of Long Trailia
    Ok, I'm convinced. All I need is a picture and we can do business!

Quote Originally Posted by UpHillPuffer View Post
    I really need to find someone very responsible who would enjoy becoming my “base person.
    ...Wish me luck as, over the next few weeks, I take on the alien-to-me new concept of lower pack weight versus greater camp comfort.
    Good luck, Puffer! Hope to read some of your trip reports.

A base person may not be essential. Food and replacement gear are easy things to obtain by scouting low cost stores along your route. Medicines: phone your pharmacy from the trail and have them send your refills to a post office along your route.

For greater independence, here are some White Blaze articles to help you on your way. Will probably save $$$ on postage if you minimize mail drops.

Post Offices Along the AT
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=postoffices

Cheap Gear/Sgt. Rock
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...678#post206678

AT Resupply article, Part I/Jack Tarlin (there are 4 more parts on WhiteBlaze under the link Thru Hiking Info)
    http://whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=resupplypart1

Packing and Sending the Perfect Maildrop/Karen Sousa
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=95199&postcount=1

Happy hiking!

++ New Posts ++