WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I don't know how I missed you as I was trying to sit tight on the B Mac for several days during your trip.

I was at Sled Runner Gap on the 14th.
    Down at the Brookshire crossing on the 15th.
    On Sycamore Creek on the 16th.
    On top of the Whigg on the 17th.
    A couple miles past Cold Spring Gap at Barrel Gap on the 18th.
    Crowders on Fodderstack Ridge on the 19th.

On the 20th I got tired of waiting and bailed off Big Stack Gap trail down to Slickrock Creek and up to the Hangover. I came out after 17 days and a day after the big storms in the Southeast. I found a place down in the Bald River wilderness by a big rock face and rode out the Wednesday storms.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I started on the 11th and finished the BMT on the 22nd. First night I was at Payne's Gap, the second the last legal spot before the Hwy (515?) that goe to Cherry Log. Subsequent nights run together but I crossed Whiggs Meadow and spent the night at Cold Spring Gap on the 17th.

Sorry I missed you - hurting my leg was a major distraction. It looks like we barely missed each other on the 17th.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    With the exception of the Lakeshore Trail I enjoyed hiking the BMT in the park tremendously...
    Just curious - what don't you like about the lakeshore trail? I'm planning on doing it next week. Perhaps I'll reconsider.

Thanks!

Images

I'm sure 10K will come back with his opinion, but I didn't think it was all that bad. Unfortunately there were some trees across the trail a couple of weeks ago from an earlier storm but hopefully those have been cut. The good thing about that is it cut the horse traffic down in a few places. You don't get to see the lake that often at first. There are a few rolling hills but nothing that tough. Toward the Bryson City end, I thought the trail was pretty nice and the tunnel, although not attractive, is an interesting piece of work with an interesting history behind it. When I was eating at Anthonys Pzza in Bryson City, some old guy recognized me as a hiker and started talking about the area and mentioned that he was born right near the house you pass on the trail. He was one of the families that had to relocate when the TVA damed up the river to make the lake.

I think you'll be OK with the trail. It may be damp and muggy and there will be some poison ivy to watch out for... and possibly a few minor wet areas, but in general, I think it is a nice enough section.

Just John
    Seminole, FL

Images

I enjoy the Lakeshore Trail, if you look around while you are hiking you can see some traces of the old settlements in that area. It has plenty of water, but it never seems to be a nice cruising trail - it always seems like it should be easier than it is.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

I didn't like the Lakeshore Trail very much because it felt like the same scene over and over again for hours.

Basically, you're walking clockwise around the lake at the same elevation - it's not close enough to the water to live up to its name (Lakeshore) but it does stay within a few hundred yards most of the time.

As you get closer to the eastern (or northern) end it does start to get better as the trail turns away from the lake.

Having said all that, it's 100x better than being at work.

Journal Entries

Default BMT information

is the bmt marked as well as the AT,I was planning on doing this hike soon and looking for info.on the trail,is there plenty of resupplies places on the trail or is most a hike or thumb into town,what about shelters,I have sgt rock guide ordered,but just curios,is it a lot of stream crossing.any info would be nice
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sharon2010 View Post
    is the bmt marked as well as the AT,I was planning on doing this hike soon and looking for info.on the trail,is there plenty of resupplies places on the trail or is most a hike or thumb into town,what about shelters,I have sgt rock guide ordered,but just curios,is it a lot of stream crossing.any info would be nice
    Thanks
    You'll find most of these answers once your Sgt Rock guidebook arrives, but here's some quick answers for you.

1. No the trail is not as well marked as the AT. You'll want some NatGeo maps too. See our journal entry that covers this topic in more detail: http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=317704

2. You can do a couple maildrops right on the trail for Reliance TN and Deals Gap NC. You can do a purchase or a mail drop with a 2-3 mile roadwalk to Cherry Log NC. See our journal entry that covers this topic in more detail: http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=317016

3. Yes, there are a couple fords and it really depends on the recent rains as to their water levels. See our journal entry that covers the biggest ford for us: http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=317410

4. There are only 2 shelters on the BMT.

One more update for you: The grocery/restaurant at mile 18 in Sgt Rock's guidebook, Martin's Dixie Depot, is currently closed and I believe up for sale.

Fords that can be dangerous are Slickrock, and 2 fords in the Smokies on either side of campsite 62. These are either in a Wilderness area or in a proposed one, so there are no bridges. In addition, reports are that one bridge near Enloe Creek in the Smokies is out.

The idea of designating a high water trail (search other posts for more information) around campsite 62 is being considered by the park. I would recommend that you email the NPS and ask them about the status of bridges on the BMT before you go. The more they hear about BMT hikers, the better the chances of having a change in policy.

10-K, Realy enjoyed your trip report! I laughed, I cried. I have done sections of the BMT and I could really relate to the Cohutta section. It is good to know that others make simple (life threatening) mistakes, over and over as well. (joking) I enjoy all your posts. What part of Ga you from?

Quote Originally Posted by solobip View Post
    10-K, Realy enjoyed your trip report! I laughed, I cried. I have done sections of the BMT and I could really relate to the Cohutta section. It is good to know that others make simple (life threatening) mistakes, over and over as well. (joking) I enjoy all your posts. What part of Ga you from?
    I grew up in a little community called Rosebud which is about 5 miles from Centerville. (our house was 12 miles from Stone Mt. We could see it sitting on the back porch.)

I'm definitely going to hike the BMT again, probably SOBO next time so I can walk down the AT approach trail instead of hiking up it - I've not done that yet.

Images

Excellent read 10-K. Thanks for taking your time to post it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sharon2010 View Post
    Thanks
    Sharon,

The only orders I have recently have been a Renne, Douglas, and a Dwight. I don't see anything for a Sharon.

The BMT marking is great in some areas, and in some other areas it doesn't exist because of the marking rules we have to follow in some wilderness areas. I highly recommend maps and knowing where you should be going. The intersections are usually marked unless something has happened in the interim. I've added a section on the trail description profiles this year to show the local trail name you should also look for.

Resupply can be a little complicated in some areas, but it isn't a show stopper. Cherrylog/Blue Ridge is a good first place for a NoBo, Ducktown is also a great stop. Reliance is a good place for a drop with a chance for local buying. Tellico Plains is a long way off, but the town is tying to become a trail town and the Harris family are great trail angles for BMT thru-hikers so it is a good place to plan to re-supply. Deals Gap motorcycle lodge is really starting to come in as a trail service for hikers before you enter the Smokies. If you need a stop in the Smokies getting into Cherokee is an option. And at the end of the Smokies on the north end Curtis of Standing Bear is the logical place to end at.

Shelters? Forget about them. There are only two and in my opinion they both suck. Indian Rock Shelter is in a section where there isn't a legal place to camp for miles so the landowner put it in. and Laurel Gap shelter is a mud pit. I highly recommend camping on Mount Sterling in that area.

The only two stream crossings that you need to concern yourself with are Slickrock Creek and Noland Creek. SLickrock can be bad when the weather is bad, but otherwise it is fine. I've crossed Noland Creek even when it is up and it wasn't bad. Currently Enloe Creek is a ford because the footbridge washed out. But I walked it last month and it wasn't bad at all.

Let me know how I can help you out and I'll give it my best. Good luck!
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

WOW! I just read this. I followed the. BMTA.org trail guide to go there for some water, resupply, etc and found it closed last week. I was very disappointed. The owner was insulting but did give me water from the hose. I wish the guide was more current.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelgator View Post
    WOW! I just read this. I followed the. BMTA.org trail guide to go there for some water, resupply, etc and found it closed last week. I was very disappointed. The owner was insulting but did give me water from the hose. I wish the guide was more current.
    You mean Martin's Dixie Depot?
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Yes. Sorry, I thought I was quoting the previous post.

So, there's no water from Toccoa river to Licklog.

Images

Sort of. There is the creek at GA60, but I would treat it VERY heavily as it runs down stream from a chicken farm. There is a chance of water which is unreliable, but 0.2 miles before you cross GA60 north bound there is a small gully on the left side of the trail, and in that gully is an old spring box. Sometimes that spring box still has water flowing out of it.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

I knew I didn't want to get water from Skeena Creek. It would have helped if the BMTA guide was up to date about the store being closed. Drank all the water I was carrying and still got dehydrated.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++