WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default High Radiation Readings

Hello Whiteblaze,

I didn't see a thread on this subject and I thought we have to start to seriously start thinking about this as a reality. Our health is at stake and should not be taken lightly.

Recently I have been monitoring the radiation levels from the Japanese Nuclear Plant and had to share this with the community. I am not a scientist but over the past few weeks it doesn't take a scientist to realize that the the cumulative fallout is starting to add up. One of the most dangerous particles is Cessium-137 and it has a half-life of 30 years...it isn't just going to go away in our lifetimes and it is still being emitted! There are many other particles falling that have much much much longer half-lives.

Today there was a video uploaded to You-tube from close to the top of Grandfather mountain that I feel all hikers must know about.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/dutchsinse#p/u/12/rMn4o2SjzE4
    btw, this not me on any of he videos...

Obviously there are a number of factors influencing what is showing up in these current readings on this first video and these are not professional nuclear engineers conducting these readings. Please watch all of the videos and draw your own conclusions.

The radiation being detected is no longer just something that can be dismissed despite what our media tells us is within acceptable ranges. Hikers are not inside all day! Because of the nature of hiking and especially long distance hiking, it is my belief that the hiking community is in fact going to be our canaries in the coal mine so to speak. This is due to the fact we hike in the rain and snow, drink the water that falls, and expose ourselves to extended periods of time outdoors, in high winds, and at altitude.

More detail of radiation forecast...
    http://www.youtube.com/user/dutchsinse#p/u/35/BnRMS71OpCY

Mushroom cloud explosion of fukushima not shown in the US media
    http://www.youtube.com/user/PoliticalSeer#p/u/17/lkminzU20U0

Radiation forecast for end of April
    http://www.youtube.com/user/PoliticalSeer#p/u/14/QfAG6UspRWQ

God Bless us All.........
    I wish all happy and healthy hiking, HappyTracker

no. you cant say what your saying and think its valid. your leaving out all the things that protect us from such fallout.

fear is what your selling
    the bodys imune system is way stronger than this
    god is in charge....and so on.
    matthewski

Did you watch the video(s)? The readings are there at that point in time on that device. I'm not selling anything and I don't have fear. What I do have is a concience that will not let me know something so important and not present and share that said knowledge. I'm not trying to scare anybody...to the contrary I wish to inform calmly and with prudence. I didn't post this on a whim. I have never even posted anything here before but felt it potentially could be important... It is my wish that others with more knowledge may enlighten us all. Fact not opinion. Good to know your still out there Matty......Happy. God Bless.

From what I have read about this situation the radiation from the crippled Japanese nuclear plant could reach the USA via the jet stream, especially if massive explosions occur at the plant and eject these particles high into the atmosphere. However I believe the jet stream would carry the radiation/particles heading east across the Pacific Ocean, arriving to the Western Seaboard of the USA first. This means that it would then have to travel further to reach the Eastern Seaboard. The Western states would receive it first and possibly the most. This is not to say we won't/couldn't receive high amounts of it possibly/eventually. This I do not know. However I think the video of the radiation being registered in North Carolina may not be radiation in the air but from the area/mountain there itself. This may be as other's comments in the video state derived from naturally occuring radioactive substances found in the earth in that general area/vicinity

Your right DapperD, There might be naturally occuring radiation at that location. Being somewhat of a rockhound also I know that amethyst quartz has been found all over the appalacians and it takes radiation in order for the quartz to take on the purple color (and the dark color of smokey quartz). As far as the jet stream, the models show accumilation already occuring completly around the northern hemisphere. Mainstream news has reported elevated radioactive iodine isotopes in the water of Pennsylvania and in other eastern states. Luckily it only has a half-life of 8 days (plus we all know how hard it is to find water in penn. during the summer, hehe). I'll keep researching.....

I would also like to add that I don't necessarily agree with all the commentary on the videos............You can turn the volume down on your speakers and still get the information without somebody elses beliefs.......

I think I'd prefer to invest energy and time in studying how to reduce my pack weight without sacrificing comfort. This is something over which I have control, that's relevant to my hiking satisfaction, and that I can approach constructively. After that, I think I'll consider how to improve my trail photography.

I agree with Onwego. Those that feel the need to take some action may find some comfort in an aluminum foil hat.

heres an artists mentle rendering for the underknowing out there who may wonder just what radiation fearmongers looks like. imagine your body the size of most of the known universe. so your like a scrunched up embryo in the placenta witch is the universe. thats a big baby.

honestly the op is correct to post such stuff. in my home prefacture of philladelphia, only today prefect nutter announced happy time lucky sparkle for all!

witch means sparkely radiation clean clothes!

in its simplest form, heres how radiation works.
    really normal rocks are messed with till their really not normal and then lite on fire by guys who are way not normal so a world of folks who are not normal can plug in zit zappers that arent normal. all to zap a zit that is perfectly normal.
    then the men play checkers and let the pot of cooking weirdo rocks overboil and the mess causes upside down fish.
    matthewski

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

this is why I've lined my pack with lead and put on a tin-foil hat.
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

Found a video on YouTube on how to make a foil hat. This one shows the making of one with tinfoil. Even though tin is mostly used for blocking thought control waves, the tips presented should be relevant for those looking to block radiation falling from the sky with aluminum foil. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZZYR...eature=related

But it seems that there is evidence that foil hats MAY not work for shielding your thought processes from the government. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OuhH...eature=related Don't know about how well they work for shielding radiation, but I guess it couldn't hurt. Certainly could provide comfort for some.

we are allways just one tsunami or one game of checkers away from total inialation.
    matthewski

You're health is more at risk in the AT privies. Seriously.

Babies.. before we're done here.. y'all be wearing tin-foil diapers.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    oh god thats funny. best laugh of the morning.
    matthewski

I am just amazed at all the factual scientific information to be found on YouTube. And all this time I have been looking at other sources when searching for scientific info.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    You make a great point. We should certainly be shielding young nads from the rads.

Be interested in Mt McKinley readings looks like they are taking the bulk of it.

Quote Originally Posted by nufsaid View Post
    I am just amazed at all the factual scientific information to be found on YouTube. And all this time I have been looking at other sources when searching for scientific info.
    Don't forget about wikipedia....who needs college when you have the vast collection of knowledge that is wikipedia.

Quote Originally Posted by awestberry View Post
    Don't forget about wikipedia....who needs college when you have the vast collection of knowledge that is wikipedia.

Thanks for the info. It seems that foil hats may actually provide protection-
    "The notion that a tin foil hat can significantly reduce the intensity of incident radio frequency radiation on the wearer's brain has some scientific validity, as the effect of strong radio waves has been documented for quite some time.[3] A well-constructed tin foil enclosure would approximate a Faraday cage,"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin_foil_hat

I will add wikipedia to my list of sources of factual information.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++