WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Baltimore Jack, Warren Doyle, Minnesota Smith, and Wingfoot Nominated to A.T. Hall of Fame!!!If they sit these gentlemen at the same table I'm going for sure!http://www.atmuseum.org/news.htm

J.R. "Model-T" Tate is NOT NOMINATED???
    Bulldoze the place!!!
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post

J.R. "Model-T" Tate is NOT NOMINATED???
    Bulldoze the place!!!
    I was surprised not to see his name on the list but I don't think all 178 are there.

He is on the board that selects the inductees. Perhaps he respectfully declined.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    but it's something they want to do and volunteer to do. they don't want to be put on a pedestal for it. weathercarrot has done more maintaining and trail building than anyone on the list and i can guarantee he wouldn't want to be in any "hall of fame"

I don't know if WC would want to be in the HOF but from what you're saying not many soldiers or Marines would want to accept a medal.

Just my opinion, but I don't see a problem with a HOF, if anything, maybe people who enjoy the AT will read about some the folks in the HOF and be glad that there are people out there who care about the AT enough to spend much of time dedicated to it. but like LW said, its just an opinion.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    it's really just a popularity contest. like high school
    What, not popular anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by BAG "o" TRICKS View Post
    What, not popular anymore?
    never was in high and never was while i was walking the trail

A little refresher on the AT HOF....

Who do you think merits inclusion in a hall of fame rising up to honor those with ties to the Appalachian National Scenic Trail?

While Benton MacKaye, whose vision gave birth to the AT, should be a slam-dunk member of the inaugural class, whom else would you include? Long-distance through hikers? Section hikers? Trail maintenance volunteers?

What about Myron Avery, said to be the first 2,000-miler on the AT and chair of the Appalachian Trail Conference from 1932 until he died in 1952?

The hall of fame will be located at Gardners, Pennsylvania, in Pine Grove Furnace State Park inside the Appalachian Trail Museum. The museum, is not only just about 2 miles from the AT (edit: it was never 2 miles from the AT, and now the trail passes directly by the museum) , but it is, appropriately enough, midway between Springer Mountain, Georgia, and Mount Katahdin, Maine, the two ends of the footpath that winds along the back of the Appalachian range.

Museum officials say the hall of fame "is being established by the Appalachian Trail Museum Society to recognize those who have made a significant contribution toward establishing and maintaining the 2,181 mile A.T."

"The Appalachian Trail Hall of Fame is a natural fit with the museum that opened last June," Larry Luxenberg, president of the Appalachian Trail Museum Society, said earlier this month in announcing the hall. "The trail and the museum represent the collective efforts of volunteers who have made countless contributions in ways that are as varied as the personalities who have been involved. The hall of fame will recognize those people who have unselfishly devoted their time, energy and resources toward making the Appalachian Trail a national treasure."

Here's the nitty-gritty for nominating folks to the hall:
    Criteria - Those eligible for consideration include anyone who has made a major contribution to the Appalachian Trail, or otherwise has advanced the cause of the Appalachian Trail. These include, without limitation, pioneers who conceived of and developed the trail; those who organized or directed major trail organizations like the Appalachian Trail Conservancy and the Appalachian Trail maintaining clubs; longtime trail maintainers; leaders who promoted and protected the Appalachian Trail; hikers who have made significant accomplishments, and other persons who have enriched the culture or community of the Appalachian Trail by their association with it.
    Nominations - Nominations will be solicited from throughout the hiking and trails community, by using a unique internet survey address. The address is:
    http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/63PYPCT

Deadline for nominations - March 20, 2011. The survey address is open to accept nominations through March 31, 2011. Anyone may submit a nomination, without charge, regardless of whether he or she is a member of a hiking or trails organization. Only one nomination should be submitted per year per person. The survey site will ask a nominator to justify his or her nomination in a brief statement not exceeding 200 words that describes the nominee and why he or she fits the criteria.

Hall of Fame Committee; Election - An Appalachian Trail Hall of Fame Committee has been selected by the Appalachian Trail Museum Society Board of Directors to supervise the election process and to submit the finalists to the board. That committee is chaired by Jim Foster, a museum volunteer and 2007 thru-hiker of the Appalachian Trail. Other members of the committee are Noel DeCavalcante, Tom Johnson, Larry Luxenberg, Laurie Potteiger and J.R. Tate. The Appalachian Trail Hall of Fame Committee will deliver the slate of finalists to the museum board by April 30, 2011, for subsequent review and elections. For the first three years, founding classes to the Appalachian Trail Museum will be named. These initial classes will emphasize important historical figures who were critical to the creation and development of the trail. The Appalachian Trail Museum Society Board can elect up to six people in the first year, and up to three each in the second and third years. After the third year, only a single person may be elected each year.

Announcement and recognition of inductees - Appalachian Trail Hall of Fame inductees will be announced during the Appalachian Trail Museum's annual festival, scheduled for the third weekend in June. The inductees will be enshrined on an Appalachian Trail Hall of Fame Wall of Honor to be located in the Appalachian Trail Museum.

There is no direct vote, or popularity contest. Minnesota Smith is not going to get in before Myron Avery, if ever.

Images

Recognizing those volunteers who donate so much of their time and effort is terrific. Even those nominated who get a paycheck from the ATC spend a huge amount of their own, free time working to improve the trail.

Hats off to all of you.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Here's the nitty-gritty for nominating folks to the hall:
    Criteria - Those eligible for consideration include anyone who has made a major contribution to the Appalachian Trail, or otherwise has advanced the cause of the Appalachian Trail. These include, without limitation, pioneers who conceived of and developed the trail; those who organized or directed major trail organizations like the Appalachian Trail Conservancy and the Appalachian Trail maintaining clubs; longtime trail maintainers; leaders who promoted and protected the Appalachian Trail; hikers who have made significant accomplishments, and other persons who have enriched the culture or community of the Appalachian Trail by their association with it.
    Based on this criteria, how in the hell did Minnesota Smith make the nominee list???

Quote Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
    Based on this criteria, how in the hell did Minnesota Smith make the nominee list???
    I assuming he was nominated, but I don't think that alone makes him eligible to pass the muster of the committee and then the board to be inducted.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Minnesota Smith is not going to get in before Myron Avery, if ever.
    Never say never. Hard to predict when a groundswell of support will suddenly lift a candidate into office. Nobody thought an unknown governor of Georgia named Jimmy Carter would ever be elected President. Same goes that an unknown "community organizer" - Barack Hussein Obama - would even be nominated for President much less win it.

The only thing that is certain that Mr Smith's obituary will read that he was (at the very least) nominated for inclusion in the AT Hall of Fame.

I am usually silent here but I have to say something this time.
    Having an AT HOF with enshrined individuals is an incredibly obtuse and imprudent concept.
    On the amusing side with this laughable initiative, would yellow blazers be banned like Pete Rose and Shoeless Joe Jackson?

Quote Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
    You can blame (or give credit) to the following key events:

1. Whiteblaze.net
    2. Dances with Mice who initially created the thread that made Mr. Smith famous (or infamous).
    3. Mweinstone who almost single handedly made the thread one of the largest in internet history.
    4. And Mr. Smith himself who gave the whiteblazers a great deal to talk about.

The rest is history.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Never say never. Hard to predict when a groundswell of support will suddenly lift a candidate into office. Nobody thought an unknown governor of Georgia named Jimmy Carter would ever be elected President. Same goes that an unknown "community organizer" - Barack Hussein Obama - would even be nominated for President much less win it.

The only thing that is certain that Mr Smith's obituary will read that he was (at the very least) nominated for inclusion in the AT Hall of Fame.
    Again, you and others think this is a popularity contest, or election. Certain criteria will be used and after the 1st three years with 12 or less inductees, it's only one per year. Since MS bashed the trail time and again, I doubt he'll be a favorite of any selecting committee.

Quote Originally Posted by b.c. View Post
    I am usually silent here but I have to say something this time.
    Having an AT HOF with enshrined individuals is an incredibly obtuse and imprudent concept.
    On the amusing side with this laughable initiative, would yellow blazers be banned like Pete Rose and Shoeless Joe Jackson?
    Although I have no part in the Appalachian Trail Museum, I can assure you that most involved are a competent professionals and dedicated people that spent many hours promoting it's creation and they take the Hall seriously.

Thanks Sly for all your sober responses and all you do. It ain't just about the walking.
    E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

Quote Originally Posted by mrc237 View Post
    Thanks Sly for all your sober responses and all you do. It ain't just about the walking.
    +1 to this - well-spoken.

It's a publicity stunt by the Museum to get people talking about the Museum.

The "Hall" should have three members.
    Benton MacKaye, Myron Avery, and Earl Shaffer.
    One proposed it, one built it becoming the first 2000 miler in doing so, and one thru-hiked it.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    It's a publicity stunt by the Museum to get people talking about the Museum.

The "Hall" should have three members.
    Benton MacKaye, Myron Avery, and Earl Shaffer.
    One proposed it, one built it becoming the first 2000 miler in doing so, and one thru-hiked it.
    You northerners always wanna leave out Horace Kephart.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

this is a bad idea. i would think any honorable person would respectfully decline their nomination.
    i think it cheapens the trail, what's next, a hall of fame for the cooler that served the most trail magic to hikers? c'mon folks leave the trail for what it is and let that be the reward.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++