WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Blazed View Post
    Well, with all the great feed back from you guys I order my first ULA Circuit backpack. I got it with the XL hipbelt, and the XL torso. I hope that it works. :/ I measured myself at a 23" but someone else measured me at a 25". So lets hope that it works, if not I'll send it back and get the large.

Thanks a lot guys!
    Sorry but you were measured wrong, no one has a 25 inch torso, that's nearly impossible, 23 is extremely unlikely, I would have someone who knows what they are doing do it again, get 2-3 other opinions. Most people are measured wrong, MOST, and when measured wrong...it's ALWAYS on the larger end, and USUALLY by 2-3 inches.

Generally speaking...75% of adult males have a torso length of 18-19.5 inches, about 20% fall under 18 inches, the remaining 5% are over 20...as a rule. Unless you are 6'6" and have short legs, you are nowhere near 23

Get another opinion

I had a catalyst but I recently got rid of it. I know people rave about ULA packs but I just flat out don't like them. I used the catalyst for a year on about 10 trips and tried a circuit as well. While I like the weight and the organization of the circuit/catalyst, the hip belt/ suspension on the catalyst just did not work for me. The catalyst had pronounced lumbar pad relative to the hipbelt which does not wrap around to the lumbar pad completely. The hip belt itself just attaches via velcro. I found that the lumbar pad was just too stiff and pronounced and just flat out uncomfortable at even moderate loads. The hipbelt was uncomfortable and would make my side go to sleep. I felt like all the weight of the pack was being transferred to the small of my back. This is at moderate loads (mid 20s). I was not overloading it. The circuit had less lumbar padding but had the same problem. The load was concentrated on the small of your back, not evenly distributed around your hips. I really wanted to like these packs but they just flat out don't work for me. I still haven't found a pack as comfortable as my new osprey aether I have been using this year.

Love it
    ~Valley Girl~
    Northbound 2/28/14

http://valleygirl2014.wordpress.com

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mankind117 View Post
    I had a catalyst but I recently got rid of it. I know people rave about ULA packs but I just flat out don't like them. I used the catalyst for a year on about 10 trips and tried a circuit as well. While I like the weight and the organization of the circuit/catalyst, the hip belt/ suspension on the catalyst just did not work for me. The catalyst had pronounced lumbar pad relative to the hipbelt which does not wrap around to the lumbar pad completely. The hip belt itself just attaches via velcro. I found that the lumbar pad was just too stiff and pronounced and just flat out uncomfortable at even moderate loads. The hipbelt was uncomfortable and would make my side go to sleep. I felt like all the weight of the pack was being transferred to the small of my back. This is at moderate loads (mid 20s). I was not overloading it. The circuit had less lumbar padding but had the same problem. The load was concentrated on the small of your back, not evenly distributed around your hips. I really wanted to like these packs but they just flat out don't work for me. I still haven't found a pack as comfortable as my new osprey aether I have been using this year.
    Did you purchase this pack from an outfitter that properly sized and fitted it for you? What you described sounds like you either bought a pack that isn't sized or adjusted correctly, or just as likely, you simply purchased a pack that wasn't right for your body type.

The Catalyst and Circuit are both phenomenal packs, but, just like shoes or clothes, no one model of pack is ever going to fit well on everyone, and I know a few people who have never had a Circuit fit right, regardless of who fit it to them. Honestly if your Aether fits like a dream, then stick with it.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I did the southern half of the AT this spring. Used my Circuit from Springer to Hot Springs. I like the pack. The heaviest load I carried was around 26 lbs.....well below what it's rated for. Only problem with it is that the shoulder straps "slip" when they are wet with rain or sweat. I got tired of constantly having to jerk them tight. The straps are thinner and narrower than most packs....saves some weight. I switched to an Osprey Atmos from Hot Springs to Duncannon. I talked to a few other ULA owners that had the same issue but it didn't seem to bother them.

Images

I really wasn't going to say, but.......I had intensions of carrieing Ozs' pack for a few miles, in New Hampshire, to check it out. He had Vague Blazed his way from Springer and I eyeballed that harness set-up and it looked beat! And painful.

This thread came up again so I'll put my 2cents in.

I still don't have a 'winter' pack yet....I have many bag options to strap to my pack, for my woolies!

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    I really wasn't going to say, but.......I had intensions of carrieing Ozs' pack for a few miles, in New Hampshire, to check it out. He had Vague Blazed his way from Springer and I eyeballed that harness set-up and it looked beat! And painful.

This thread came up again so I'll put my 2cents in.

I still don't have a 'winter' pack yet....I have many bag options to strap to my pack, for my woolies!
    That wasn't your wasn't your "winter" pack? What are you planning to do, get a Mystery Ranch expedition pack?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    That wasn't your wasn't your "winter" pack? What are you planning to do, get a Mystery Ranch expedition pack?
    My next trip out to Mt, I will go thru Bozeman and stop at the factory to see what there is to see. I have been on that web site!!!!!

Journal Entries

Packs like the Circuit were designed for thru-hikers, especially PCT thru hikers.

Sorry to say that the average PCT hiker is generally a step up the evolutionary hiker ladder from your run-of-the-mill AT hiker. The PCT is a much harsher, less forgiving environment than the AT. You generally dont need to carry 7L water on the AT, or ice axe and crampons, or bear cannisters.

If you dont have the mental approach to hiking it was conceived for, you probably will find reasons to not like it.

Simplicity, minimalism, light weight can be more important than comfort.

A heavier pack is normally more comfortable than a lighter one, until youve walked 20 miles with it.

I will never proclaim my circuit to be the most comfortable pack Ive ever worn, or my Ohm. I will say, that they are comfortable enough, and do what they are intended to do, extremely well.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 11-14-2013 at 21:53.

From hiking on the JMT/PCT this year, I was surprised to see that a significant majority of hikers used traditional gear. My pack (Circuit) was among the lightest and most compact and I'm not anywhere near "ultralight". I think that ultra lighters are much more vocal online and that creates the impression that the majority of hikers are that category. But in reality I don't think that's the case. Now granted, I hiked in late summer which is way after the PCT NOBO hikers go through the Sierra and the only SOBO PCT thru I spoke with was very much in the UL camp. I do plan to lighten up where it makes sense prior to my 2015 PCT hopefully without spending too much money...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++