WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 10/15/11 Section Hike in Southeast. Do-able?

I have seasonal employment prior at Yellowstone, then again at another park in November. Thru-hiking is obviously not a choice but I need my AT fix. I was thinking 30 days, hardcore hoofing it from Damascus, VA to Springer but I fear that it'll be too cold and ultimately un-enjoyable. I could probably lessen the mileage and crank two weeks out. You see, with seasonal employment comes seasonal housing. So basically I just need to kill time. Yes, I am an experienced hiker. Never thru hiked. Well familiar with the southeast and even the white mountains (who isn't on here?), Glacier national park, Yellowstone and hopefully this year something from the PCT. My gear includes a Gregory Porter 70 or 80, a Kelty 20 degrees synthetic bag(not quite sure of model) and a variety of synthetic, wool and fleece material. Light enough to carry and warm enough (hopefully). I'll also have a group of misfits with me (other seasonals, with nothing to do).

Any advice on climate, trail durations, gear, or common sense will be much appreciated.

Backing Back into Backpacking
    Images

Very doable. I've done hikes in the area in late fall and Jan/Feb. snow shouldn't be an issue. Have a great hike!
    The key to success in achieving a goal is focusing not on how far you have to go, but rather how far you have come.

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” Phil 4:13

It certainly won't be too cold in mid October. That is probably the best time of year to hike in the Southeast.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Images

I love love love hiking in the South in October and November.

Expect lows around freezing, and highs anywhere from 45 to 75. Might be some water issues depending on rainfall. By mid-November you might begin seeing some colder nighttime temps, but I wouldn't expect much below 20-F even then.

Great time to hike that section!!!
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Should be very doable. Awesome time of year through the southern end. I used to run wilderness programs through the fall and winter in that area and we had a blast. Shouldn't have snow (except in the Smokies perhaps, and doubtful anything more than a dusting there) problems. No bugs, good leaves, cool temperatures....why am I hiking in July???? Oh yeah, work. Any way have a great trip!!!

++ New Posts ++