WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Is there any advantage beyond a good night's sleep?

As a ground dweller, (the name hammock users give me), I have a pretty lightweight setup: 24oz shelter, 20oz pad and ground cloth, 24oz quilt. (24+20+24)/16 = 4.25lbs.

It is hard for me to know if this is all correct, but it looks like I would have the following for a hammock setup: WBBB D1.7 = 40oz, 3-season Yeti UQ = 12.5oz, small pad = 10oz, 3-season TQ = 24oz, Tarp = 13.5oz. (40+12.5+10+24+13.5)/16 = 6.25lbs

I would carry 2 extra lbs - not a big deal, and shell out a minor mountain of money.

What do I really get by going to a hammock?

Quote Originally Posted by dla View Post
    As a ground dweller, (the name hammock users give me), I have a pretty lightweight setup: 24oz shelter, 20oz pad and ground cloth, 24oz quilt. (24+20+24)/16 = 4.25lbs.

It is hard for me to know if this is all correct, but it looks like I would have the following for a hammock setup: WBBB D1.7 = 40oz, 3-season Yeti UQ = 12.5oz, small pad = 10oz, 3-season TQ = 24oz, Tarp = 13.5oz. (40+12.5+10+24+13.5)/16 = 6.25lbs

I would carry 2 extra lbs - not a big deal, and shell out a minor mountain of money.

What do I really get by going to a hammock?
    I thin k you get to call the rest of us "ground dwellers".

And, you can constantly try to convert anyone who isn't a "Hanger", to the "Right True Way" by interjecting the hammock into any discussion of tents as an alternative that the "ground dweller" should consider.

I believe you get a small plastic card which guarantees you this right.

Hang in there, friend.

Images

personally i couldn't care which way you go, but your hammock gear is off. 40 oz hammock ?, mine for 3 season is 16 oz. small pad, mine is 3 oz.
    just saying!
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    personally i couldn't care which way you go, but your hammock gear is off. 40 oz hammock ?, mine for 3 season is 16 oz. small pad, mine is 3 oz.
    just saying!
    OK, but you could probably fix in my pocket. I chose a tarp that others suggested was quite good for a side-sleeper bigger than a mouse. And, I didn't ask whether or not you cared, (I'm not looking for a hug), I'm looking for advantages/disadvantages.

The expansion in campsite options is the most obvious advantage over your current setup. (besides the sleep quality). No more hunting for that perfect flat spot.

Try finding 2 trees close enough in the arid southwest that will support a hammock. Tent has way, way more campsite options here.

Hey we're practically neighbors! And you can totally tie to a saguaro. Untying is the tricky part.

Images

To each his own but I get a much better nights sleep in my hammock than I do sleeping on the ground so any weight trade off is worth it to me.

I still use the same sleeping bags (one down bag for winter and a synthetic for warmer temps) but as top quilts and a thin blue pad for bottom insulation. I have been using the down bag since the early 70's and while I can not use it as a mummy bag anymore (either is has shrunk over the years or I have gotten bigger) it works fine as a top quilt.

My hammock and tarp weigh in about 3 lbs.

One thing I learned after 20 years in the Marines is that with a good nights sleep, you can put up with anything.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    I thin k you get to call the rest of us "ground dwellers".

And, you can constantly try to convert anyone who isn't a "Hanger", to the "Right True Way" by interjecting the hammock into any discussion of tents as an alternative that the "ground dweller" should consider.

I believe you get a small plastic card which guarantees you this right.

Hang in there, friend.

Haha...funny...
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Journal Entries
    Images

This is starting to read like a dos exxis commercial....

The interesting part is there are advantages to both setups....

OH and DLA the poster above has nothing to do with you... I found it by accident.

I just can't figure out that if one has both setups - you would be geared for several different types
    of terrain.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 04-27-2011 at 19:55.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Like Kayak said, your hammock weight estimates are way off. You don't need a double 1.7 unless you are near 200 lbs (I have a double 1.1 and could use a single), a 3/4 yeti is plenty, no pad necessary, and my tarp is closer to 7 oz... so our weights are comparable. I can sleep anywhere with trees. that is most of the AT, and there were plenty of places I had trouble finding a spot when I carried a tent. That said, I will use a tent when I do the John Muir. So it comes down to having the right equipment for the area. Other advantages: more breathability, and less condensation than my tent, more ways to pitch my tarp to vary with weather, but mostly its all about the sleep.

Images

WBBB 1.7 DL... I'm assuming you're a large individual? That hammock can hold a lot of weight. Could you go with a lighter hammock like a 1.7 SL? You could shave off almost a pound that way.

Your pad should be cut down to just your legs. Gossamer Gear Thinlight pad cut down is like 2.5oz.

As far as the price factor. I did a write up on this a while ago and now I cant find it anywhere.

Hammocks when you try to get down to light weight or UL status will cost you probably in the $100-150 more than a tent and more if comparing to a tarp. What costs more is the down underquilts if you want packability and weight savings. Although the Gossamer Gear Thinlight Pad is great for 3 season so that cuts out the pocket book pain and the weight isn't much different but packability blows.

Advantages... in regions with an abundant amount of trees (unlike AZ):

Almost unlimited campsite selection and much easier

Comfort... for many this is the primary reason to convert. BUT I've seen some convert didn't like it and go back to ground. To each his own.

Inclement weather... much easier to set up IMHO as you can put up the tarp first and then be well covered as you set up your hammock. I know setting up a tent in the rain is a PITA from experience. My experience with a hammock has been much nicer.

floating lounge chair... yeah one of my favorite aspects. I can hang and eat in complete comfort.

Drying clothes... on nice days you can hang your wet sweaty clothes on the hammock suspension or tarp suspension and dry out your clothes as you lounge or overnight as you sleep.

LNT - has little impact on the surrounding area and easier to stealth if that's what you're into.

But again that's my opinion from my experiences the past few years. Tent or hammock it really doesn't matter to me what you do just so you dont take that I'm preaching that hammocks are the best thing ever. It works for me so I do it.

I too have thought of this, and granted most like hammocks for their comfort facto, I simply cannot understand.. especially after a week or so. They hurt my back, and I always feel awkward in them. On another note, I favor tents since one shelter is good for two.. But yeah, as has mentioned before tents can sometimes be difficult to put up in the mounthains.. but hey, there's if this is what you've got, I'm sure you will find that flat spot with a little bit of effort. Weight wise.. maybe the estimates were off, but the nitty gritty is the same.. two people and one tent.. or, will it be two people and two hammock setups? It really doesn't matter. Have fun, and care about what you do.. not what others do.. or think. (bit of a rant, my bad)

My wife and I have just switched to hammocks and we actually have cumulative weight savings by a very slight bit. We were using a SMD Lunar Duo and NeoAir pads in the tent scenario.

I'll echo the reasons that Raul gave above.

I find significantly more comfortable than the ground. On a weekend, if I know that I am going to have a couple long calls to friends, I will set up the hammock outside and lay there while I talk..Its that comfy.

But, that is my back. It just gets really stiff sleeping on the ground...hence the NeoAir....and even a bit with the NeoAir.

Images

you can't have sex in a hammock... and now I bow out gracefully.
    ...God's Country, and Scotch.

Registered User Kaptain Kangaroo's Avatar
    Images

The comfort factor seems to be one of the most commonly cited reason for switching to a hammock (weight & campsite options can go either way depending on the gear you choose & the area you hike).

However, even comfort is a personal thing. I switched to a hammock (Hennesy) but found that it did not suit me. I am a very restless side sleeper & spend much of the night moving around. In the hammock I was constanly waking up as i felt like I was 'fighting' the hammock all the time. Had many terrible nights of sleep before I finally gave it up & went back to my tent & now sleep wonderfully again :-)
    Gave the hammock to a friend & he loves it...............

Myabe try to borrow a hammock & spend a few nights in it to see if it suits you.

tents suck. fly..................hammoks? dont get that whole cacoon thing.i wanna stay born. fly folks are mattys kinda folks. wait thats wrong, i like fly folks and baconfolk.
    matthewski

Tent on ground, bugs on ground. Tent on ground, rain, rain gets on ground. My body doesn't much care for crawling around on the ground. With a hammock set up I can sit comfy, walk around under the tarp, have guests over and not worry about bugs or snakes getting into where I'm going to sleep. A lot more site choices for hanging than tenting. I don't care if it's more money or even more weight. For me the good rest I get plus all the other pluses I mentioned means my tents don't see much action. I'm glad everybody doesn't care to hang, the waiting list for hammock gear is long enough.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TallShark View Post
    you can't have sex in a hammock... and now I bow out gracefully.
    Oh, yes you can.

*can't believe this is actually her first post*

Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    WBBB 1.7 DL... I'm assuming you're a large individual? That hammock can hold a lot of weight. Could you go with a lighter hammock like a 1.7 SL? You could shave off almost a pound that way.......

.......dont take that I'm preaching that hammocks are the best thing ever. It works for me so I do it.
    I'm 3' 37" and weigh about 18 stones and folks of like size at hammock forums recommended the 1.7 DL as being the most comfortable for a side sleeper. As I said in the OP, the weight difference isn't a big deal.

I really do appreciate you "hangers" extolling the virtues of your solution, so don't hold back.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++