WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Gary Hilton Today

I read in the local newspaper that Gary Hilton was handed down the death sentence for the Florida Trail murder. I don't know whether or not they will bring him back to NC for the John & Irene Bryant murders.

Ms Bryant was found dead in the Pisgah National Forest after missing a few days. Later that year Mr Bryant's body was found about a mile from the Rock Gap Shelter near Franklin. This is still an open case here.

Images

Thanks for update. Do they need any volunteers to pull the switch?

Images

They aren't going to take him back to NC for those murders. They don't have enough evidence and right now they got him right where they want him~!

This side of the dirt
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    They aren't going to take him back to NC for those murders. They don't have enough evidence and right now they got him right where they want him~!
    Not quite - he is still breathing valuable air
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing." Abraham Lincoln (1855)

Capital cases are very expensive for any judicial system to carry out and since he has a life sentence in Fla., I wouldn't think that NC would give him a trial. But remember, based on his murder charges, he can always be brought to NC to stand trial, if need be. Certainly an evil guy who took the lives of very good and loving people.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Images

What do these people actually think is going to happen? That the police will just turn a blind eye and let them waltz away?

Sure, I get that they're completely whacked in the head, but I mean seeeriously? It doesn't take much to realise that rotting in jail till you die is a bit uh... disproportionate to whatever sick satisfaction they get from killing?

He got the life sentence in GA,in exchange for telling the authorities where Meredith Emerson's body could be found. He got the death sentence in FL as the authorities there had already found the body and didn't need his cooperation.

In any case, at his age, he will probably not live long enough to actually be put to death, as it takes years of winding its way through the appeals courts to actually come to the day. Sad irony isn't it? It is my understanding that being on death row isn't a picnic - they are housed in a 10x20 foot cell (more or less) in isolation 24/7 and allowed out for one hour a day to exercise. I should think that would be worse than death, but still, I wish we could save taxpayers all the money it costs to house a criminal.

Images

an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth.

Panzer

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mizirlou View Post
    His new name is #133897.

Final Destination
    http://www.dc.state.fl.us/ActiveInma...ionID=10336634

Death Row Fact Sheet
    http://www.dc.state.fl.us/oth/deathrow/
    After looking at those 2 links one thing is apparent: If you murder somebody in Duval County look out....

Images

A Death Row cell is 6 x 9 x 9.5 feet high.
    according to the FL death row fact sheet.

Panzer

Clarification on the cell:
    6’ x 9’ x 9.5’ high with NO AIR CONDITIONING
    The weather today at FL State Prison in Starke is a muggy 88 degrees with thunderstorms. Forecast next week in the 90s.

Images

I hope there are no windows
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

No windows and the roof should be 3" thick glass - so the sun will multiply the heat and burn him like an ant!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wrongway_08 View Post
    No windows and the roof should be 3" thick glass - so the sun will multiply the heat and burn him like an ant!
    you mean "...burn him like a TICK"

Panzer

Usually costs far more money to execute/house a person on death row than to keep as an LWOP. At least the state of GA doesn't have to provide superMax care for him. I would suspect that his desire for being in control and to have open access to wilderness will meet a difficult conclusion for him.

The FL death row webpage says that the average stay at their hostel before execution is 12.6 years.

Can't believe our taxpayer dollars are still feeding this guy.
    ad astra per aspera

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trailweaver View Post
    He got the life sentence in GA,in exchange for telling the authorities where Meredith Emerson's body could be found. He got the death sentence in FL as the authorities there had already found the body and didn't need his cooperation.

In any case, at his age, he will probably not live long enough to actually be put to death, as it takes years of winding its way through the appeals courts to actually come to the day. Sad irony isn't it? It is my understanding that being on death row isn't a picnic - they are housed in a 10x20 foot cell (more or less) in isolation 24/7 and allowed out for one hour a day to exercise. I should think that would be worse than death, but still, I wish we could save taxpayers all the money it costs to house a criminal.

I have hiked with attorney Rob McNeel who was his Georgia court appointed lawyer. Rob said that was the worst trial he ever had to work as much as the trail meant to him.

I believe it. No attorney I know reallllly wants to do homicide case that is appointed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++