WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

If you were the 100th hiker looking for everything for free and when you want it- i would imagine that you got a chilly reception. Ron's reputation is steller-Look in the mirror and ask yourself am i entitled to ,magic&free,just because i chose to hike the AT. If so go home.

Images

Ron, I figured he was one of the ones who try to take advantage of your generosity, then complain when you refuse.

Folks, Ron goes out of his way to help hikers, but ridiculous requests, such as special private shuttles for free, are uncalled for. He has scheduled free shuttles. If they don't match your schedule, so sorry.. What other town even offers scheduled free shuttles?

i'm so glad i have nothing to do with hikers.

Images

Hikers are butt-wipes ... wait a minute ... I'm a hiker ...
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Hand Me Down
    Images

ron haven is the man , super nice guy regardless of his intentions, takes care of hikers despite trying to make money off them too. the at needs ron haven he provides us a few key services in the south

I understand that many hikers have good things to say about Ron Haven. I also understand that he is a sponsor of this site. Lots of people have had good experiences with him. I did not. That's all. Hence the letters 'IMO' before my comments. I thought forums like this were to share both good and bad experiences.

Not trolling, either. For those of you starved for details, here's what happened: I double-timed it to be at Winding Stair Gap by 9AM. Ron shows up at 10. I ask him if he'll take me to 3 Eagles. Right away, he wants to know where I'm staying and offers to take me to his Budgetel. I'm okay with that - he's a business man. I tell him I don't know where I'm staying but (again) can he take me to 3 Eagles. He says okay. Once I'm in the van he starts going on about how it's "way out of the way" and it's going to "throw off his whole schedule" and I'm gonna have to pay him $10. Honestly, I have no problem with paying but just tell me before I get in. Either say "No, I can't take you" or " Yes but it will be $10". Anything else nis, well, shady. Once we get there, I hold out a $20 and he says "I don't have change" and snatches - and I mean snatches - a $5 bill out of my other hand and says "but I'll take this if that's all you got".

It was a bad experience. I blogged about it on an open forum. Nuff said.

I haven't responded or posted anything else cause I been hikin!

Posting it under 'Georgia' was a mistake. Sorry.

you are full of ****. ron haven does not act that way.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cbhillier View Post
    I understand that many hikers have good things to say about Ron Haven. I also understand that he is a sponsor of this site. Lots of people have had good experiences with him. I did not. That's all. Hence the letters 'IMO' before my comments. I thought forums like this were to share both good and bad experiences.

Not trolling, either. For those of you starved for details, here's what happened: I double-timed it to be at Winding Stair Gap by 9AM. Ron shows up at 10. I ask him if he'll take me to 3 Eagles. Right away, he wants to know where I'm staying and offers to take me to his Budgetel. I'm okay with that - he's a business man. I tell him I don't know where I'm staying but (again) can he take me to 3 Eagles. He says okay. Once I'm in the van he starts going on about how it's "way out of the way" and it's going to "throw off his whole schedule" and I'm gonna have to pay him $10. Honestly, I have no problem with paying but just tell me before I get in. Either say "No, I can't take you" or " Yes but it will be $10". Anything else nis, well, shady. Once we get there, I hold out a $20 and he says "I don't have change" and snatches - and I mean snatches - a $5 bill out of my other hand and says "but I'll take this if that's all you got".

if that's what you got, you must have been a real ass to get it.
    don't like logging? try wiping with a pine cone.

Default now hold on thier "friend" ........

WOLVERINE..... Indeed.... you have a right to your opinion... Franklin is early on in your hike... and as you progress, Indeed you will meet/come across other folks who will be able to shuttle you to places of need. AT the end of your hike, id like you to HONESTLY compare your experience in Franklin to the many other you will have! How may folks will pick you up over 2,100 + miles for NOTHING and "shuttle" you around!?! NOT MANY... esp if you are/were demanding!?! in 2004, my 1st attempt thru-hike, KTR & I met Ron at the now-defunct Rainbow Springs campground, he offered us a ride to town and asked for NOTHING, I admired Ron & watched his generosity towards fellow hikers. Yes, at times he would collect gas money (do you know of ANY free gas out there???) from those who offered, and those who had no fund$ he just asked to help others when they could. For the past 5 of 6 years I have returned to Franklin each spring to VOLUNTEER 2-3 weeks and shuttle hikers 9-12 hrs a day! LET ME TELL YOU, HALF THE HIKERS ARE DEMANDING, WANT A FREE RIDE ON THEIR TIME AND GET TICKED WHEN THEY CANT GET A RIDE BACK UP TO WINDING STAIR GAP IMMEDIATELY! Ron has done nothing but help hikers... I cant begin to tell you of the 2-3 am Emergency calls where a hiker has been hurt and Ron has driven DEEP into the woods on dirt roads to get them, bring them to the hospital, ASK FOR NOTHING, and then start at 6am shuttling! PLEASE GET TO KNOW SOMEONE BEFORE YOU DECIDE TO SHARE YOUR OPINION. As you can read, Ron has many friends, and each of us are grateful for this great man. There are many a hiker who would have quit w/o his help. AND BEFORE YOU TAKE A GOOD LOOK AT RON HAVEN... TAKE A GOOD LOOK AT YOURSELF..... spend a few weeks shuttling hikers next season to give back! I do hope you reach Katahdin... I just hope you reach it the right way Cheers, SOLACE ~
    "Reach Farther" ~ SOLACE

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    you are full of ****. ron haven does not act that way.
    I agree with Kanga - anyone that knows Ronnie, also knows you have made up a large portion of that story. Go crawl in a hole.
    It's a great day to be alive !

Images

You're a liar.

You got a ten dollar shuttle for five dollars and you act like a little bitch about it?
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

one time
    when i was in franklin
    ron was comming down the road in his schoolbus
    and he farted

another time
    when ron was in winding stair gap
    and i was there
    he blew his nose

i heard he burps as well
    this is why im bloging about it here
    i just thaught it was the right place

i know ron loves hikers
    no one acts like him if they didnt
    they would hold it in

rons the best
    to me
    matthewski

Images

you are such a whiney little bastrad arent ya........it is demanding entitiled s.o.b's like yourself that give all thrus a bad name....no way did that happen the way you desrcibed it

I'm due to meet Ron on my next hike out and I've been looking forward to meeting him for some time. I've never, ever heard a bad thing about him from any source, and I think that says quite a bit about someone right there. You just cannot come on a public forum and trash someone like that because you didn't have a good day.

Images

Ron didn't have change for a twenty? That's how we all know you made this up!

By now Wolverine ,you realize that your opinion ,is not accepted,not wanted, and especially not respected. There is no set of facts that could support your story. Please do not continue to respond and just go away!

Images

Don't be surprised when you get a cold reception from other business owners along the trail. Your reputation for trying to smear someone like Ron is going to precede you much of the way up the trail.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    Don't be surprised when you get a cold reception from other business owners along the trail. Your reputation for trying to smear someone like Ron is going to precede you much of the way up the trail.
    in fact, i think i'm going to blog about it. on fb.

Images

Default and she did...

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    in fact, i think i'm going to blog about it. on fb.
    Thanks Kanga! When this girl says she'll do something, you can bet on it.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Funny, myself and a few friends heard Ron's version of events at Trail Days. I'm a lot more likely to believe the words of a man I know (Ron) and trust over a bold faced liar (Not Ron).
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++