WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Hiker

Default New Hiker

I am just being to plan my hike. I will be on the trail for 1 month in the spring of 2012. I am older with a slight handicap and can not carry a large pack, so I would like to use a pack goat. I read the Dog article and am very attentive to my animals and have a service dog in training at home now and fully understand the attention it takes to have an animal assist you to accomplish your goals. Am just looking for a beginning response from people as to how the goat will be accepted.

Images

If you load the goat up with some beer and pass some around
    to the hikers you meet, then I suspect the goat will be more
    than welcome.

Images

It will probably smell better than most of the hikers you come across too.

Images

You may be taking a risk. Some people like goat meat.
    "The difficult can be done immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

Images

Seriously though - has anyone ever used a pack goat
    on the AT?

Images

Pack animals aren't allowed on the AT:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiki...ations-permits

PCT would be OK.
    I've seen people using them there.
    They were carrying whole potatoes and a frying pan and things like that.
    Or try the Wonderland trail or something shorter.
    Out west, pack animals are the old fashioned (traditional) way to travel.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

high luke! im thrilled your back. and no way they can acuse you of being minne. wow. i finally have my whiteblaze brother back. welcome back minne. its been too long. kick back, put up your trunks and set a spell. we got goat to cook.

now, first id like to introduce everyone to a goat recipie thats just plum ,..well...peachy!
    work the goat hard on his last packday. his sweat cleans him. after peeling and cooking, try some seasoned salad dressing on him. i use thousand island with extra garlic and dip goaty in on a kabob i carry just for it. now. most goatfolk roast him slow but i like burnt thru and thru. are you going to have the dogs along?
    matthewski

missclaimer: any and all goats brought to our appalachian trail by unawares hikers need to be confiscated by other matthewskilike hikers and atened quickly to prevent arrest. goatboans and teeth and unused bowels need to be packed out.
    matthewski

okay so i know how to spell bones

okay so i know i spelled bones wrong

okay so i know im annoying

okay so i know im billville

okay so i know im matthewski
    matthewski

The guy I primarily hike with said he came across a guy in the 100 mile wilderness with 4 pack goats. Maybe there are different rules in that stretch.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Illegal or not, I think its pretty awesome
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Quote Originally Posted by 88BlueGT View Post
    Illegal or not, I think its pretty awesome
    You know what would be really awesome? A trained bear!
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

^^^ yes, a big one too. Big enough so I can ride him all the way to Katahdin!!!
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

First post and this fellow's asking about taking a pack goat on the trail? Come on. Do I look like I just fell off the truck?

Default alternatives?

Are you set on hiking the AT or more interested in hiking with a goat or other pack animal?
    If you are set on hiking the AT then I would suggest your alternative is to carry a lighter pack.
    If you are set on hiking with a pack animal then do some internet surfing. What are the rules for hiking some of the great trails in Minnesota? Could you use two or three goats there? Do you intend to buy and care for your own goats? They are herd animals and always want at least one friend along. Goats are also much different to care for than dogs, in some ways much easier and in other ways much harder.

Perhaps if your interest is in hiking with pack animals then search the internet for people who lead guided trips with Llamas or goats. This would be a good way to start even if you want your own animals.

By the way, to paraphrase an old joke - Who you calling older youngster? I note that most of the people who responded to your post are your age or older...

Slosteppin

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    Pack animals aren't allowed on the AT
    I think it's goats on bicycles that are outlawed.

What about the Salivation Army of goats on that mountaintop north of 42 in Virginia? The wouldn't let me pass and ran over in a group to lick my legs. Then snuffeled up under my shorts and used their teeth to pull my pants down.

You have to pay extra for that in Reno.

I'm just glad nothing landed on the top of my head that day.

Speaking of goats. what do you get if you bring your goat and your pig inside your redneck trailer?

Buckingham Palace.

Datto

Default Goats

Ok, I have not been back sense I first posted the goat question, I have had some severe circumstances, but am now back on track I hope.
    Most every ones responses have been on the humorous side. But.... If my dog is handicap certified and welcome any where in the world, why would a goat that can serve be and therefore myself, because I have a handicap be not allowed on the trail. That feels a little un-American. As in where freedom rings allowing all individuals the same opportunities. I am an experienced animal handler and will know how to deal with my animal.

May be if I shared a little about myself. My goal is to be on the AT. Have wanted to for years. I have MS, which leaves me with balance issues at times and difficulty in managing body temp, hence a spring trip, and not carrying a large pack which would make me more tippy (HaHa). I want to go in the Smokey Mounts and will park, hike, camp, hike back, to truck, drive to new trail head and repeat. My trip has nothing to do with a pack animal other than it would enable me to make my goal. I will only be packing light as my month will be a series of 2 day hikes, in and out, move. Maybe that will help some see that goal is ultimately the AT and a way to make that possible for me.

Sorry Quiescence Farm, by law, pack animals are simply not allowed on the AT, regardless of circumstances. Dogs are different. Even though they can carry a pack, they can't carry much and as such aren't considered pack animals.

If you need to use a goat or two to carry your gear, you simply have to go someplace where it is legal to do so. The AT is simply not the trail for you. Thankfully, there are other choices.

I know of a guy out in Colorado who takes two goats with him on hiking trips. Each one can carry up to 30 pounds. He has quite a few videos on youtube of his trips with the goats. He also happens to be a Ham radio operator and uses the goats to carry the radio gear up the mountian. www.youtube.com/user/goathiker
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++