WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Question How "waterproof" is a ULA Circuit?

Just picked up a Circuit. Amazing pack. I am hoping to hit the trail with it over Memorial Day weekend (but will camp with it before then). How waterproof is this pack? Should I use a liner or pack cover to keep the gear inside dry? On more than one occasion I have hiked with my (now retired) Osprey Aether 70 in the rain and snow (without a pack cover), and it really took on the water.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Most packs are not waterproof, this includes the Circuit. You'll either want to use a pack cover or liner (my preference) to protect your gear.

That said, given the Circuit's general material, it should not increase significantly in weight when wet.

+1 It's really not going to absorb much BUT its not waterproof, packcover or liner strongly suggested.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

It's not remotely waterproof. Anything more than a sprinkle, and the pack material will wet through and wick moisture inside. I'd suggest using a trash compactor bag as a liner--this will keep your gear completely dry. Pack covers still allow the back and bottom to get wet.

I use event sacks for clothes, sleeping bag and other articles. My Circut gets wet, but the articles stay dry in their bags and also keeps my bag organized.
    Also, because the bags are roll up closures, I could drop my bag in a stream or fall in, and they will still stay dry.
    Compactor bags or pack covers wont do that.

Out west, it is easy to fall during a stream crossing. Same thing in Maine.

++ New Posts ++