Default Where "Women's" Counts

As time progresses, there have been more and more hiking prodects marketed as "women's." Sometimes these products have been specifically redesigned for the female body, other time's it's a fancy way to say it comes in pink.

What "women's" products have you found that work better for you than their male counterparts? Which were just a load of hype?

I'll start by sharing some of my own.

Sleeping Bag getting a women's sleeping bag saved me 6 unnecessary inches in length. It's lighter, and my toes are warmer because there's not all that extra space at the foot.

Pack when my mom was in college, she had to buy a "junior" pack to get one short enough for her torso. Times have changed, I now have a women's pack that fits me well in the chest (no small feat) and the hips.

Poles I just got a brand new pair of lady's lekis. The grip is a bit smaller, which makes it much more comfortable for me. A minor difference, but a very nice touch.

Hats and Bandannas Literally the only difference I can see is in color/decoration. But I guess the men's version doesn't come in pink or purple, or with butterflies on it.

T-Shirts These have been very hit or miss in my experience, but ultimately I see little difference between men's and women's in MOST stores. There may be a slight curve in the women's from bust in to rib and out to hip, but not more than 1-2 inches off of rectangular. Might as well just get the men's in most cases.

I think t's and hiking shirts are cut a little differently in the arms. you can also get scoop or vnecks, which make a difference depending on your pack, or how you heat/overheat/cool.

ad astra per aspera

Images

My hiking poles - Ladies Komperdell's. They're slimmer than regular or "mens" versions of poles and weigh less. I can collapse them down small enough to tie under my fanny pack.

As for t-shirts, I look for Men's in Small. I truly abhor form fitting shirts made out of stretchy or nylon-type material and that's about all I can find for women now. I like my t-shirts to be soft, boxy, and not hugging any part of me. North Face and REI tech-tees in mens have worked well. REI used to make the ladies tech-tee the way I like them but went to the form fitting style.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Personally I think everything has been working out well in men's for me so far. I am a medium pack and don't care about trail fashion (if there is such a thing). I'm hiking in what is comfortable. Most women are very curvy (I am not)so I'm glad manufacturers are considering this. More options are always better as long as the quality is the same. Unfortunately I feel men's wear really is better made.
    Those that danced were thought mad by those who could not hear the music. George Carlin

I've experimented with lots of different gear, but the pack has been the biggest item for me. I have a Vapor Ki. First pack that's really fit me well. Other than that it hasn't seeMed to matter.

Registered User Phoenix Firebird's Avatar

I agree with the hats/bandanas. The "ladies" version only difference is the color, and is it essential to have a pink or baby blue hat? No. That's just silly.

I do go for men's clothing in usually a small because I like the roomier feel verses the tight, form fitting thing woman's clothing has going on now.

As for pack and poles, I think getting the woman's version would be the better option as they are both designed for a woman's body. The poles come smaller, lighter, and with smaller grips allowing for more palm to be on them. Packs in woman's style are nice because they are not just straight box shape, if you will. They allow for the curved hips so they don't dig into your hips as much as men's do.

This is at least what I have found from trying various things. I think it all comes down to personal preference, really, and they way your body functions as a whole. Sometimes men's is the better option to go for! You just never know until you try!
    Go big or go home; except when it comes to your backpack.

Images

Not a woman, but I have a woman's Thermarest Prolite. I like it because it's not as long as the Men's bot not as short as the short. It also has a bit higher R value than the men's or the short.

Images

Women's clothing is the only item that I've needed to so far. I need the specialized cut to make the clothes fit right.

My poles are mens and work well for me (I wear small gloves so I guess I have small hands). Women's packs just didn't fit me right at all. The straps were too close and rubbed my neck the wrong way and the torso length wasn't long enough either. I also bought a men's sleeping bag because I would have had to buy the women's long, which cost more money. The women's bag claimed to be "cut for a women" but was only 1 inch bigger in diameter around the hips than the mens and 1 inch smaller in the shoulders. I just couldn't see paying extra money for one inch...

i tell you what, women's pack fits are the bee's knees! i am what i guess you'd call curvy, though i agree with garfield in that i am only undertall. the s-curved shoulder harnesses have made a world of difference with me! i will never go back to a generic pack strap. and i like hiking in skirts. other than that, i haven't found anything that i feel classifies. oh, and sports bras. i'm glad they make those in women's..

I wear women's underwear, usually they are at least 4x lighter than men's. They have the same exact function for much less weight.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default sleeping gear

I think the biggest benefit to me has been in sleeping gear. I'm 5'4" so a Woman's Regular sleeping bag suits me to a T. It's great to feel my feet at the real footbox of the bag and not to have to heat another half foot of sleeping bag. I also use a Thermarest Woman's Pro-lite Regular which is 66" long, the same length as both of my sleeping bags.
    I also prefer men's t-shirts for the boxier fit and I really don't mind the often plain colors...
    I recently discovered that Danskin makes a sports bra for the armed forces that is really wonderful. It's a racerback design that is light and really wicks moisture well. I bought it on eBay and it's available in a wide variety of colors ranging from black to black...

ooh! share on the sports bra stuff. what's the name of it?

Images

I am just five feet one. The woman's sleeping bag is a big hit, but before they made cut for women packs, I was over at the boy scout store since that was all that would fit my short torso. I can't wear men's clothes. The sleeves are too long or the top is down to my knees.
    Nice tip on the lady leki's-thanks!
    Yes above poster, name of sports bra please?

Images

A woman's sleeping bag was the best addition to my kit. Love the way it fits.

I don't use women's pants or shorts and the reason is the POCKETS! They are only ornamental and you can hardly get a pocket knife in them. Men's pockets are DEEP! I use men's t's for the boxier fit. As far as hats go, what ever fits.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Lady leki poles? Really?

The only women oriented items I use are the clothes.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Lady leki poles? Really?

The only women oriented items I use are the clothes.
    Yeah. They don't extend as far, so they're a little bit lighter. And the grips are smaller (one figure I read said 15%).

I don't know how much difference these things make, but they're the only pair I've looked at that "felt right."

As far as women/female gear goes, I stick with female underware and bra. Plus I too wear a skirt for hiking. And a light weight thiner one to sleep in. Tops are female sizes but if I can find a halfway fitting wicking mans t-shirt, that's just as cheap (or cheaper), I'll buy it. Colors don't matter to me but I like bright tops when hiking during hunting season. My pack is a unisex (Aarn) but it's custom fitted to my body shape. And my poles are also unisex (pacerpoles) carbon. They are heavyer than any other's I've tried but they keep my knees from hurting on the hills. So I figure that's worth more than weight. My sleeping bag isn't... I don't use one. I made myself a down quilt to fit my 5foot self (12ozs total but 3 season). Sleeping pad is a short Exped, also unisex. More weight but sooo comfortable on my old bones. So I guess the only thing I really insist on being just for females is my underclothes. Because even the skirts (oh wait guys call them kilts) are worn by men, these days.
    TinaLouise

++ New Posts ++