WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: REI customers?

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trailangelbronco View Post
    I buy cothes and boots at REI, as a member. I often pay much more than other stores would charge, gladly.

Yesterday, I took a four year old pair of boots in and got full store credit back, used it to upgrade to a brand new pair of Oboz boots. I also returned an old wore out down jacket for the new model, free of charge, no questions asked.

REI mebership was created so that members would only have to buy something once. It is not ripping the store off, that is why they started the co-op. Buy something once, trade it in for new when it wears out.
    So, while othr stores may be cheaper the day you buy something, REI rules five years down the road when you can trade in that old item for the new model, free of charge.
    You would think something like this would be on their website somewhere if it were ok.

I mean, the entire world would become REI members if you could replace gear for free.

I go through a $100 pair of running shoes every month. I could be persuaded to switch to something REI carries if it meant I never had to buy running shoes again......

Or, to look at it another way - what if everyone did that?

Images

You're being too kind... that kid should have his face on the Post Office wall...

Images

I have been an REI member for about 10 years. The first big purchase I made was a Big Agnes Seedhouse 2 tent. The first time I put it up, I noticed one of the poles was bent. Not much, but just enough to throw the tent off to one side a bit. I took it back and exchanged it. Still have/use the tent to this day. About 4 years later I got my daughter a tent. She used it on one trip and couldn't deal with the condesation, so we returned it. She tried a different model. Still way to much condesation. So she returned that one as well and ended up making her own Ray Gardine tarp. Shortly thereafter I got a letter from REI saying I had returned too many tents and to please do my tent shopping elsewhere in the future. I responded and explained everything and never heard from them again. I continued shopping there because I assumed this was an error on their part. Last week we went by to see if they could send my daughters Leki poles in for service. (they were cracked, and would be replaceable under Leki's warranty) They told her 'we don't do that anymore' and offered no further suggestions. Their customer service use to be stellar. Now, not so much. They didn't ask what was wrong with them or anything. I'm rather bummed about this though, because I love shopping in the store, trying things on and comparing them etc. Maybe they have to get tougher because of all the abuse on the return policy, but I think my returns were pretty legit.

I work walking distance to an REI....which is dangerous. Even though I consider myself a UL backpacker, REI does have good value in things like clothing, food, and the occasional good deal. I have a membership that gives the 10% of course, but I also have an REI Visa with no annual fee that gives an additional 5%. So I figure that the 15% rebate to buy whatever at the end of the year + the great return policy make it worth it for the occasional purchase. Plus cheaper options on the in store courses are nice - I am planning to hit up some of the map and compass courses this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by inabag View Post
    I am planning to hit up some of the map and compass courses this summer.
    I took one a few months ago. Very good coverage of the basics.

Originally Posted by inabag
    I am planning to hit up some of the map and compass courses this summer.

I took one a few months ago. Very good coverage of the basics.

Ditti! I took a basic compass course at the Marlton NJ REI and found the same thing. Though what I experienced could vary depending on location (size of class, teacher's ability, etc)

Their anniversary sale is on now.

I got a refund on my Deuter ACT Lite that I bought with a 20% off coupon that was on sale (no coupon) for 25% off.

Of course you can also use your 20% coupon on a regular priced item.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++