WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: REI customers?

I'm a gear head. I think I hike alot(1500 -3500 miles per yr for the last 6 yrs). I use my gear alot. I'm an ULer. I buy much of my gear at outdoor trade shows and from UL cottage industry companies. I don't like paying everyday retail prices for BIG ticket hiking items, and often do not. Although, I do buy some gear at REI(shoes, food, maps, books, some clothing, socks, stuff sacks, gear repair supplies, gear cleaning products, replacement gear hardware(biners, micro bungee, micro cord locks, buckles, ropes, etc for example), because of the convenience of having so much under one roof, they have items I would have to order on line, they have REI brand less expensive gear than some comparable higher priced more brand name recognized gear, I do get personalized service, and MUCH PREFER reviewing gear first in person before I buy. I will not buy shoes on line unless I have first previewed them in person. Although, many of the bigger ticket ihiking tem brands I use, REI simply does not carry, IN STORE, they have shipped in gear for me, not usually advertised or in-store, at some very attractive prices!

Different branches have different items but I like the books and maps section for example, much of it not advertised on the net. This is especially helpful for localized hikes/outdoor adventures when obtaining quad maps, regionally specific books, and other pre-hike planning maps/info.

I don't think REI is particularly high or higher priced!!! I look for sales or get bulk discounts on things like food. Of course, the rebate check is a marketing tool, but I don't usually look at it as off setting a supposedly higher price. For me, I look at it as icing on the cake.

I try to be a loyal patron to outfitters and will cultivate realationships there when the store carries items I use and THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE is above avg. REI fits the bill! For example, at one of the REI's in North Carolina one of the reps, who knew I had recently dropped some do re mi in their store, discreetly brought to my attention an ArcTeryx Soft Shell that had a MSRP of around $350, but had just been returned with NO defects. Got it for $100! I think REI REALLY seeks to satisfy its customers! At least me! What's that worth?

Some of the California stores, the Denver, and Seattle store are quite big holding a wide selection of gear. These stores have some seasonal sales, that, if you get their early enough, you can obtain gear at deep discounts, sometimes more than 50 % off MSRP!

For me, I treat shopping at REI like shopping at anywhere else, whether it be for hiking or non-hiking items - no matter what advertising says no one place has it all or at the lowest prices across the board!

YES, I do like their no hassle member return policy, I regard it as one the best in the hikling world, BUT I DO NOT ABUSE IT! I also like that I can almost always have an REI associate provide personalized service. Even though I may know a lot about gear I certainly don't know everything. No one does. Those associates sometimes help me fill thiose gaps. What's that worth?

If you go to the REI in Reno on Monday Apr 30 and bump into a tall lean hiker looking type buying some maps, socks, and isobutane, who is willing to get into long winded hiking stories, it will be me!

On Mon May 2. Who cares?

Regarding those who also are ULers. Like someone said if you look for UL gear REI DOES have some UL gear, perhaps not UL cottage industry gear like Gossamer Gear, MLD, ULA, Anti-Gravity Gear, SMD, ZPacks, or larger gear manufacturers merchandising UL/Lite wt gear like WM, Feathered Friends, Mont Bell, Innov, just to name a few. Don't know any other outfitter that carries all those either! IMO, Prolite does one of the most comprehensive jobs though of carrying UL/lite wt gear AND they periodically have sales and close-outs offering some excellent UL gear at excellent discounts!

This isn't always the case, but some UL cottage industry companies simply can't produce enough product to supply all/most/some of the REI stores. Some of the UL gear is made to order and I'm not so sure REI is set -up for that either.

I think when ULers answer the OP's question referring to what REI carries that they keep in mind UL gear/UL hiking is not just about the BIG ticket(Big 3 or 4) UL items!

Returns and Exchanges International (told to me by an REI employee)

Seriously folks, be savvy with what you want and competitive pricing on it, you'll find REI is usually there on some things and not on others. But any store is.

My wife is a very picky shopper. She made several trips to a local REI to try out boots and was waffling between two. Each time, a completely different REI employee told her that no matter what her choice was, take them out and put them through the paces. No matter what condition they were in, if she didn't like them, bring them back.

It's because of that policy that we shop there and are members.

BTW, while in Asheville to put the new boots to the test up Mt. Mitchell, we stopped in at the local discount shoe store.

They had the same boot there.

REI was cheaper.

That's a new nice REI in a rather nice area Sherrill. My brother lives two blocks away.

There are several outfitters in Asheville, but the one I often get the best discounts on is at the Diamond Brand outlet store adjacent to the reg store in Arden NC. The outlet side has DEEPLY DISCOUNTED GEAR! The regular store has GREAT GREAT GREAT certified shoe experts!!!

Quote Originally Posted by trailangelbronco View Post
    Everyone returns stuff. That was the original meaning of the REI co-op. Only buy something once and then turn it in for new every few years. I just turned in three year old boots, all wore out and got new ones.
    I am an REI member and would never consider returning boots that I had used for three years and worn out.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by nufsaid View Post
    I am an REI member and would never consider returning boots that I had used for three years and worn out.
    I was wondering if this was frowned upon, seems like they stand by their crazy good return policy but I'm sure they don't like when people completely wear something out then bring it in.
    ...God's Country, and Scotch.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TallShark View Post
    I was wondering if this was frowned upon, seems like they stand by their crazy good return policy but I'm sure they don't like when people completely wear something out then bring it in.

Well, yeah, as a member/owner of the REI co-op, I sure as heck frown on this behavior. I have plenty of well-used or broken gear that I could return for a full refund, but I have something called "ethics." I may be blue blazing hiker trash, but my momma taught me right.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I have an REI and a EMS store close by, and I really don't see a major difference in price. Basic stuff like say, Mountain House meals or and MSR steel pot the price is almost the same across the board whether you go to REI, Dick' Sporting Good, Cabelas, etc. REI's clothing is a bit pricey, as well as some items you cannot find in the usual sporting goods stores. Sure I could get a Big Agnes Seedhouse Tent for $40 cheaper online, but I save shipping just walking in the store and picking it up.

The big thing for me is the sales, the member dividens, and the customer service. My member dividen was just $33 this year, but they threw in a 20% coupon for good measure, that got me Ti pot for FREE. Memorial day is approaching, and last year I got tons of stuff at 30% and 40% off. EMS has sales too, but it usually in the 20% range. Its like everything else , you just got to be a savvy shopper. Watch for sales, check the clearence racks, and check the outlet portion of the website.

Customer service with REI and EMS is outstanding. I hate going to a regular sporting goods store, and ask a question about their hiking and camping equipment and they look at you like you have two heads.

Images

But now that I have started paying more attention to cottage manufactures, it is becoming harder and harder to find things I want at REI...[/QUOTE]

you hit it right on the head Stick:

Packs- ULA
    Bags- FF or WM
    Tents- Tarptent or Six Moon Design
    Just to name a few.

I guess I am tired of buying everything twice, in my opinion REI needs to start going in the direction above if they want to keep up. Like Stick said, they don't sell what you are eventually going to want!

REI, is just like anyother store, you have to shop them against others, sometime they are great somestimes not so.

Shopping for gear gives you something to do at work.

John

Quote Originally Posted by BradMT View Post
    Been an REI member since 1975. Great Co. I don't buy from them exclusively, but their free shipping to our neighborhood store, free shipping on items over $75.00 to our house, 10% yearly rebate, 20% off member coupons, best return policy of any Co. in the business... all that adds up to a company I love to deal with.
    You joined at 12 or 13? Your membership number must be below 2 mil. Mine is just over 2 mil.

After you go in the Seattle and Denver stores, some locations leave you wondering why bother with such a small store.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by pirogue View Post
    You joined at 12 or 13? Your membership number must be below 2 mil. Mine is just over 2 mil.
    I joined at age 14 when I started backpacking in earnest. I turn 50 next month.

My REI# is under 492,000...

Any more questions?

Images

Actually under 482,000...

Journal Entries
    Images

My experience is that you get what you pay for in life. If you find REI a bit more expensive than some discount or cottage industry dealers, as an REI member I find the quality of the merchandise, liberal return policy, the activities they sponsor which encourage outdoor experiences, and the knowledgeable staff is worth every cent I pay and more.

I buy cothes and boots at REI, as a member. I often pay much more than other stores would charge, gladly.

Yesterday, I took a four year old pair of boots in and got full store credit back, used it to upgrade to a brand new pair of Oboz boots. I also returned an old wore out down jacket for the new model, free of charge, no questions asked.

REI mebership was created so that members would only have to buy something once. It is not ripping the store off, that is why they started the co-op. Buy something once, trade it in for new when it wears out.
    So, while othr stores may be cheaper the day you buy something, REI rules five years down the road when you can trade in that old item for the new model, free of charge.

I buy cothes and boots at REI, as a member. I often pay much more than other stores would charge, gladly.

Yesterday, I took a four year old pair of boots in and got full store credit back, used it to upgrade to a brand new pair of Oboz boots. I also returned an old wore out down jacket for the new model, free of charge, no questions asked.

REI mebership was created so that members would only have to buy something once. It is not ripping the store off, that is why they started the co-op. Buy something once, trade it in for new when it wears out.
    So, while othr stores may be cheaper the day you buy something, REI rules five years down the road when you can trade in that old item for the new model, free of charge.
    You my friend are UNREAL to even post this.

I have been a member for many many years. Elected Board members of REI do the very same thing.

Journal Entries
    Images

Great customer service is worth something. Great advice, workshops and garage sales.
    alifelongpursuit.blogspot.com

Images

REI mebership was created so that members would only have to buy something once. It is not ripping the store off, that is why they started the co-op.
    No, that's NOT why REI memberships were created, and yes it is stealing...

Buy something once, trade it in for new when it wears out.
    You're an a-moral thief.

****ing pathetic...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++