WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: REI customers?

Default REI customers?

I know about REI from my bike riding days. There is no store close to me but I did visit a store once when visiting a friend.

My question is for those who frequently shop from REI, do you find the rebate offsets the slightly higher (in my opinion) prices.

I'm aware of the return policy and how easy it is.

My question is whether the rebate comes close to offsetting the higher prices.

Depends on how you would shop otherwise. If you do a lot of comparison shopping online or look for coupon codes, you can always beat REI, not even counting tax or shipping, which then push the REI prices higher. Furthermore, the dividend doesn't come back to you if you buy an item that is on sale.

Great store. Great selection. Great people. Awesome place to go in and touch & feel a piece of gear. But is you are scrimping or can be patient and wait for an item to go on sale somewhere, they will almost never have the best price. I shop REI on a lot of smaller things, but rarely make a big purchase with them unless it's on sale for 20-30% off or more.

As for the return policy - I have hardly ever returned gear. There are so many online resources out there now to read about what I plan to purchase, I almost always know about what I am getting before it even arrives. It's nice to know that it is there, but it is not a big selling point for me to shop @ REI.

Just my 2 cents...

Images

Well, the yearly dividend (if that's what you're referring to) is roughtly 10% of your non-clearance/sale purchases. So, if you can find the same items for more than 10% cheaper, I would say no. You do the math.

That being the case, I still frequent REI, especially when I am researching something and want to get hands on some different stuff rather than just reading reviews and seeing pictures. Plus, thier clearance deals and sales are often very good and the return policy is econd to none.

For the most part, no it is not the most cost effective place, but I find stuff there, that I can not find anywhere else.

Garlic
    Images

I've never been much of an REI customer, though I'm a member and have their credit card. I lived in Seattle for a while and it was almost required to be a member. An older climbing friend of mine was real proud of his three-digit member number. Mine has seven. Since leaving Seattle, I've only been there a handful of times. The joke around here is that REI means "Really Expensive Inside", or I hear the employees say it means "Return Every Item".

Since converting to a UL hiking style which uses mainly homemade or cottage industry gear, I have even less need for REI. I even had them take me off their catalog mailing list. I just get the yearly rebate from my credit card, and wait until July to cash it out via mail.

For more mainstream pursuits and quality clothing, they look like a pretty good store.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

if youre savy, REI can be cheap
    ...God's Country, and Scotch.

Images

good customer service is worth the price
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Feathered friend to all. Penguin's Avatar

REI is a good spot to buy a Platypus bag, but their equipment tends to be heavier then what many hikers choose to take on the trail with them. Check out other small gear companies that are cheaper, and carry better lighter equipment: zpacks.com, gossamergear.com, tarptent.com, westernmountaineering.com Also build your own stove to save money.

THough the REI return policy is out of this world, and they have lifetime warranties on their stuff. You could buy a sleeping bag there and keep returning it for new clean bags indefinitely or until they kick you out of the club.

Everyone returns stuff. That was the original meaning of the REI co-op. Only buy something once and then turn it in for new every few years. I just turned in three year old boots, all wore out and got new ones.

Images

Been an REI member since 1975. Great Co. I don't buy from them exclusively, but their free shipping to our neighborhood store, free shipping on items over $75.00 to our house, 10% yearly rebate, 20% off member coupons, best return policy of any Co. in the business... all that adds up to a company I love to deal with.

Thanks for the input. I really wish I lived close to one. Think I'll give them a go. I'm visiting a friend in Houston in a few weeks and I'll check out the one there.
    -------

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." Thoreau

Images

NO but its worth being a member and going to attic sales.
    "you cant grow old if you never grow up" ~TUswm

Images

I think of REI as the new place that I shop, but it's been over 20 years now since I started: going there....LOL...
    Anyway, if you are sharp you can usually get deals. Pay attention. watch REI-Outlet. Try to get to the attic or their garage sales if you can.
    What I like is my purchase history is online for many years. I Can go back and see what I bought and at what price. It also makes it easy if I return something.
    Speaking of returns, I usually don't return much but I wanted to return a tent I bought in 2002 and then forgot to. It was about 5 years later (2007 or 2008) when we were moving that I found the tent. still brand new. I took it in, they looked me up and reimbursed me in full on the spot.

P.S. I think Rising Sun meant to say you don't earn a dividend on sale items, as REI will always pay you any dividends you earn, if you decide not to spend it on gear.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

What higher prices? REI sells gear at MSRP, just like every other local outfitter. Sure, some online retailers sell for a slightly lower price, but you pay shipping and can't try on the gear ahead of time. (Unless you try it on at a local retailer then order online. But that makes you an @sshole.)

The best way to shop at REI, IMHO, is to check the sale racks on a regular basis. Or order from their outlet online. Or get an REI VISA card and use it for everything, then get a huge dividend and buy something cool. (Of course, you have to pay it off every month or there is no benefit.)
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries
    Images

1. Amazon.com occationally beats them on price.
    2. hard to find gear is easy to get at REI
    3. Ultralight stuff is available - just not obvious
    4. If Rei doens't have it the Internet does, you just have to look
    5. Blowes EMS away as an outfitter.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I like REI. If there is something I want that I can get from them, I usually try to get it there simple because I know that if it tears up I can return it. Right off the top of my head, my family tent, Helium and NeoAir are probably the biggest items I have purchased from them. Lots of other little items though. I have not returned anything yet, but I believe I am going to make the drive and return my ExOfficio Air Strip Light shirt that I just got. It simply does not fit me. I can mail it back in, but then I would have to pay for shipping and then wait for it to be reapplied to my card. I can just go in and return it and either get my money back then or get something else in return.

But now that I have started paying more attention to cottage manufactures, it is becoming harder and harder to find things I want at REI...
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

REI is the best outdoor gear store in the country. Prices, return policy, rebates, refunds, etc., you can't beat them. Also, you can order directly online from them and have it mailed to your home.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Hike smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Since converting to a UL hiking style which uses mainly homemade or cottage industry gear, I have even less need for REI. I even had them take me off their catalog mailing list. I just get the yearly rebate from my credit card, and wait until July to cash it out via mail.

For more mainstream pursuits and quality clothing, they look like a pretty good store.
    +1. Member since 1973, but they don't have much of what I use any more, and it's rarely made in the USA.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

If you are a member, you are an owner and you do have a vote each year on officers!!!!!
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

I have never considered REI to be expensive...usually find their products to be priced competitively with others.
    OTOH, The deals that they offer can be great. Yesterday was a "friends and family" day meaning that if you stop into or order regularly at an REI they have this day about twice a year. You get a discount code to use for the one day only. $199 total and less will get you a 20% discount...over $200 total will get you a 25% discount but it doesn't cover bicycles or watercraft.....
    ....yesterday I ordered a Patagonia Ultralite Down Shirt ( on sale from $199 down to $179) and a SmartWool MidWeight underwear bottoms priced at $75 and with the code my total was $177. I got the shirt at a great price and the pants free.

geek

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++