WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default the AT and IAT ..another trailplace rant...

Hi Folks,

I am the one who posted the post about thru hiking the AT and IAT in one year.

First..thanks to all for the very helpful feed back.

But I just gotta get one thing off my chest regards to trailplace.com (I appololize for appearing negative here ..but as I said..I gotta get this off of my chest).

I did the post in traiplace.com.. 1 public reply. IT was from the adminstator wingfoot. He said "no advice on your hike but you'd best stick to the AT as far as questinons." Now first thanks a lot for no advice and second.. what is so bad about expanding past the AT? But what really irks me here.. is at least one person DID reply..and got DELETED. The person replied again but as a private messag (pm) with very helpful information. I am even considering dumping that site helpful as it is. If you limit the scope of the posts..you severely limit the helpfulness of the site for the intended audience..hikers!!

I hope the white blaze adminstrators read this post and see the value of an open door policy on posts. I have noticed that there are more posts here on white blaze frommore people..and my post about the IAT and AT has many replies!! Mosts of the posts on Wingfoote's site for some reason seem to be from Wingfoote. cant be much fun to have conversations with yourself!

A whiteblaze afterthought...any way we can make that dancin banana skidattle??

David

There..I got the negativity out..will start posting here on more postive stuff!!

Images

Well I'll say welcome to WhiteBlaze again in your new light. Your experience is shared by many here so lets just cut to the part about helping with your hike and hopefully this thread won't turn into an anti-WF venting thread

And a lot of people like the bannana.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

:banana

OK - every one has an opinion - but the bananna has to stay! You'd better hope this thread doesn't turn into a bananna bashing!

Default I too have recently been booted from TP

But I take solace in the banana. I've been able to get bananas to dance out of synch before I post, but when I post, they're always dancing in synch. Those sneaky, slippery bananas.

I eat at least 1 every day.

This is old news. I was booted from TP for suggesting that the naming of the IAT was not going to end Western Civilization. A couple days of angst over the booting, and all is well with the world.

Enjoy TP for its strengths and experience. Ditto for WB and a few other excellent sites. Shake it off and don't let trivia distract you.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by NHhiker
    Mosts of the posts on Wingfoote's site for some reason seem to be from Wingfoote. cant be much fun to have conversations with yourself!
    ================================
    Ya know ...I noticed that too. I had pretty much stayed away from that site since early 2003 but recently decided to register. I have no personal axe to grind with Wingfoot and in fact I think he puts together a fine handbook for hikers. But there is definitely a different "feel" between that site and Whiteblaze. Some of the threads here at Whiteblaze get out of control and essentially become soap boxes for single dimensional blowhards ...but I can choose to read or ignore them.

Welcome back. I say ...use each site for it's relative advantages.

'Slogger
    AT 2003
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Registered Troll
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji
    But I take solace in the banana. I've been able to get bananas to dance out of synch before I post, but when I post, they're always dancing in synch. Those sneaky, slippery bananas.
    Thats kind of like sex. It may start out of synch, but pretty soon you get into a rythym.

:banana

Quote Originally Posted by NHhiker

But I just gotta get one thing off my chest regards to trailplace.com
    1) You should direct your thoughts directly via email to Wingy at [email protected], he usually answers his emails.
    2) Trailplace isn't about the Appalachain Trail. It's about Dan "Wingfoot" Bruce, and he runs it accordingly. If you want to participate, you should follow his rules.
    3) You ended your post with, "There..I got the negativity out..will start posting here on more postive stuff!!" That rates some !!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger
    Some of the threads here at Whiteblaze get out of control and essentially become soap boxes for single dimensional blowhards ...but I can choose to read or ignore them.
    That does tend to happen from time to time. Sometimes we get accused of being too "hands off", that is until one of us finally does take action. Then someone gets offended that it was their post that finally made Troll or I do some moderatin'
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock
    That does tend to happen from time to time. Sometimes we get accused of being too "hands off", that is until one of us finally does take action. Then someone gets offended that it was their post that finally made Troll or I do some moderatin'
    ===============================
    That's what makes this site different from others ...and BETTER than others in my humble opinion.

I tend to respond to posts in a somewhat serious manner. I have a pretty good sense of humor but I figure someone asking a legitimate question deserves a straightforward answer. Once a thread goes down-hill and gets totally off topic I push back ...and that's a choice I get to make. Choice is a good thing. Two thumbs up for Whiteblaze

'Slogger
    AT 2003
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Thumbs down

I registered in this WhiteBlaze several months before joining Trailplace. I found that whiteblaze have resourceful of information that I always need that I never find anything in Trailplace. I kept finding every reply from Wingfoot in every thread. It is kinda boring. I signed on there and make a few replies.. but about two or three days later, I never visited them. They are kinda bored and waste of time.

Flash Hand

Default similiar experience

For over a year, I have been reading the message boards here and at trailplace. I have gained invaluable information on both sites. I finally took the plunge about a month ago and registered at both sites. I posted a question here with a list of things in my pack and got lots of replies which were very helpful. (Thanks) I posted a reply at trailplace on a cellphone thread, saying that I din't mind listening to people talk on their cellphones and within 5 minutes, my message was deleted and I was booted off the site. I can't even read the messages over there anmore, let alone reply to any. So, needless to say, I don't click on the trailplace site any longer. I like it here and any info you find there, you can also find here, plus there's a whole lot more hammock info here on this site which I am very interested in. So thank you (again) to all those who contribute.

GAME 2000
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock
    Didn't Ricky Nelson have a great song about trying to please everyone... The Garden Party or something like that?

Youngblood

Images

Default Ozzie and Harriet and

YOUNGBLOOD;

" You can't please everyone so you might as well please yourself" Ricky Nelson

Images

Talking NH Hiker

Re Bananas

Be careful what you wish for.

We need more banana road kill.

++ New Posts ++