WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Water supply in pa?

Hi all. We are planning to finish our section hike from Allentown pa to Delaware water gap in mid may. Was wondering how the water supply is now. We section hiked from Carlisle to Allentown last year and most springs were dried up.

Images

I haven't been on Blue Mountain this spring due to Lacrosse and soccer, but I live 14 miles from the trail between Allentown and Wind Gap and walk South Mountain near me in the off evenings and weekends. It has been a very wet spring (many cancelled practices and games) and the springs are flowing very well on the 1,000 foot mountain by my house. Normally dried or trickling streams are now roaring. I am finding crossing them to be more of a challenge due to the flows... and lately find myself very muddy after hiking the mountain for a few hours.
    Last edited by Toolshed; 05-01-2011 at 12:23.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Journal Entries
    Images

I get stumped by these posts - The rain was so bad this year many rivers and streams crested their banks. Its very muddy out there, as it is in Maryland.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

even in the worst drought years in pa, its kinda fun in a way to walk far for a drip way down the mountain practicly in town. then your water becomes valuble beyond normal. and time spent filling containers from a drip after walking far far down for it, lends a certian toughness and struggle that does more for a hike than less.
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    .... The rain was so bad this year many rivers and streams crested their banks. Its very muddy out there, as it is in Maryland.
    3 weeks ago when I section-hiked Duncannon-to-Harpers Ferry, there were 3 tough water crossings just after Rt. 77 in MD, crossing that I believe were normally easy rock hops.

The spring down the access trail by the smith gap shelter has 3 springs and at least one always has water

The AT begins to look like a stream `bout this time of year in Pa...

++ New Posts ++