WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Toms Run Shelter vs Iron Masters Hostel

I was wondering if it was worth it to hike the extra 3 miles (or is it longer?) from Tom's Run Shelter or stay at Iron Masters Hostel in Pine Grove Park? Anyone stayed there since it has re-opened? Do they seem to be ok with hikers just showing up? Fun Fun! See you on the trail soon! ~ Owl

I SOBO section-hiked through there about 3 weeks ago but didn't take the time to check out the "new" Ironmasters. However, I camped (tented) at Toms Run and liked it. The 2 shelters are small but appear well-built. There's lots of good camping around the shelters and the water source was near and flowing quite nicely. Of course, it's early Spring but the stream seemed permanent to me.

I was at the Ironmaster's about a week ago. We had reservations but had the place to ourselves. If you walk up and a bed is available, they are happy to have you.

Images

I would only stay at the hostel if I needed a shower.
    If I was out for a short hike I would stay at the shelter.

Panzer

Part of the enjoyment of my stops there in the past was the ability to use the kitchen. What I was carrying and a few stock items in the cupboard and cooking on a real stove could make a nice meal. They no longer have an open kitchen.
    If you plan to play tourist and visit the rest of the park and the museum it might be worth just a shower and a bed or not. You didn't say how long of a hike you were going on.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

Toms Run Shelters are across from one another with level ground amongst the hardwoods on which to pitch a tent and there's decent water source nearby.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Journal Entries

Default Length of Hike

Sorry, left out that detail of the length of my adventure....3 weeks. :-) Thanks for all the great comments! Very helpful!

I.m a local trail maintainer in the area and either stop is a good one, just depends if you want comfort. Someone is also opening a hostel up on Big flat / Shippensburg Rd. Should be open in August

Default New Hostel - Opening In August

A local trail angel and trail maintainer is planning on opening a new hostel in just south of the A.T. halfway point. The hostel will be only 500 feet from the trail lands and in a secluded section of the Michaux State Forest. They are renovating a house and it should be ready by AUGUST maybe sooner. You can e-mail them at [email protected] or call at 717 352 4686 for more info. The owners are known for some serious TRAIL MAGIC read the registers in the area

++ New Posts ++