WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Strange guy at Low Gap

I was at Low Gap shelter on Saturday night. There was a guy there telling unbelievable stories, mooching food and talking of yellow-blazing instead of hiking. He had apparently been there for more than one night. After I left, I remembered a character from a hiking book called 'Ranger Rick', I believe, that had the same MO. This guy also had a 'ranger' emblem on his t-shirt.
    Is anyone familiar with 'Ranger Rick'? Could this be the same guy?

hey. was he older, lean, drunk, and hobo-ish?

This guy was maybe in his 40's-50's, grey hair. Not 'thru-hiker' lean, but not overweight. Acted drunk, but did not see him drinking. Was smoking roll-ur-own cigarettes, but did not smell like 'weed'. Yogi'd food, saying his food drop had not arrived. observed him roaming around others' tents, etc. Just a creepy sort of feeling from this guy.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Unbelievable stories? Mooching food? Yellow blazing? Are you sure he wasn't a thru hiker?
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

best to walk on when you arrive at a squatted site such as this sounds. then snitch the hell out of the guy to a ridgerunner.
    matthewski

Hide your hot dogs.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbby View Post
    This guy was maybe in his 40's-50's, grey hair. Not 'thru-hiker' lean, but not overweight. Acted drunk, but did not see him drinking. Was smoking roll-ur-own cigarettes, but did not smell like 'weed'. Yogi'd food, saying his food drop had not arrived. observed him roaming around others' tents, etc. Just a creepy sort of feeling from this guy.
    that sounds like the crazy man that was at the april fools bash in franklin. said he was a thru but people said they'd seen him squatting at different shelters in ga. if that's him, he is a NUT-NUT and i know exactly what you mean about getting the creeps from him.

the correct thing to do is inform a ridgerunner.

remember meredith with respect , and love.
    matthewski

we left early on Sunday, he was still there and making no signs of leaving anytime soon. Probably just waiting for his next set of 'victims'. Will relay info to GATC

Maybe it is Osama BinLaden?

Wait, I guess not.

I was at Blue Mountain Shelter today and ran into two hikers who stayed at Low Gap last night (Sunday night) The only person they mentioned at Low Gap Sunday was my section overseer who was doing maintenance in the shelter area.

Of the two hikers I encountered, one was pretty young and quiet. The other was middle aged, and was planning on going to Helen to pick up a mail drop.

Neither looked or acted drunk or strange ( at least no stranger than a hundred other hikers I've encountered )

I'll ask my overseer if he remembers anyone who fits your description.

Quote Originally Posted by Speer Carrier View Post
    Neither looked or acted drunk or strange ( at least no stranger than a hundred other hikers I've encountered )
    Hey...I represent that remark....
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Jeez, I stayed at Low Gap April 12th. There was a guy there then that had roll your own and kinda creep you out. But there was alot of other people there that night so I just avoided him. I thought he was on something then if its the same guy.

Images

did he have a PA accent - I met an older guy smoking roll-ups semi-living in the Rock Gap Shelter (in a pretty good snow) in January - he said he had done a thru-hike but then revealed that (as I suspected) he did quite a bit of yellow blazing - his story didn't really make sense, but wasn't complete b.s. either - I suspect it was a yarn laced with 1/2 truths - he called himself "Paul with Bunions." I gave him some coffee and a few batteries - he was sad and harmless - maybe I'll grow up to be like him - who knows - as long as he moves his camp from time to time and doesn't harass anyone, he's not breaking any laws, right?

maby right. and a simple talk with a leo will tell.
    matthewski

did this feller holler something like a chicken...from time to time he wud yell cock.. oh god##m cock to the top of his lungs...

Let's see saturday night, humm! Ranger emblem on shirt? No! I was no where near Low Gap Shelter. Wasn't me.

Feathered friend to all. Penguin's Avatar

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...ridge%20runner

So I looked up Ridge Runner in a dictionary, since I have no clue what one is, and came up with this. Seems like this guy might actually be a Ridge Runner. Did he have a beard?

Graying black long hair, some military clothing, very dirty, looks like Charles Bronson?

This sounds like the guy that was at Hawk Mt. shelter back in March that I mentioned in the thread about a female hikers gear being stolen at Hawk.

If it is the same guy, he has only made it from Hawk Mt. to Low Gap in about 45 days. The description that was presented above matches him perfectly. He seemed harmless but definitely creepy.....what he did know about the trail was detailed but the times and placement of sites didn't fit.

geek

that's the creepy dude at the bash.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++