WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Shorter 'Long' Trails...

Wanted to get more information about what other hiking options are out there for those of us who prefer shorter long distance hikes, I'm thinking in terms of trails 500 miles or less, but give or take a bit obviously.

So which ones do you know about that are good for thru-hiking? Let's get some obvious ones out of the way:

- Long Trail, 271 miles, Vermont
    - John Muir Trail, 211 miles, California
    - Superior Hiking Trail, 230 miles, Minnesota
    - Finger Lakes Trail, 465 miles, New York
    - Colorado Trail, 480 miles, Colorado
    - Tahoe Loop Trail, 160 miles, California
    - Wonderland Trail, 95 miles, Washington
    - Northville Placid Trail, 121 miles, New York
    - Benton MacKaye Trail, 288 miles, Georgia, NC
    - Ozark Highlands Trail, 165 miles, Arkansas

Please note all the above trails are thru-hike 'able', meaning one doesn't need to become a expert route finder and or trail researcher to hike these trails...I would love to hear more about other trails we know about...

ive done parts of ozark highlands trail it was heavily overgrown thru out i did it may of last year basicly not the most comfy trail but it was cool tho.

The Selway river trail in Idaho is fun. 50 miles, mostly flat, but ina deep forested canyon, always next to the Selway river. Way out in the middle of nowhere. Bring a fly rod and catch Cut Throat all day long.

The Pinhoti Trail in Alabama and Georgia. The Alabama section is better IMO because the Georgia section has too much road walking. 171 miles in Alabama and 163 miles in Georgia
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far". Theodore Roosevelt

The Wonderland Trail is a loop, start and finish at any of several places. Incredible scenery, inconvenient rules.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

And some serious elevation gains, lol. You will see mountain goats on that trail.

Images

The Foothills Trail is fun and pretty easy - experienced backpackers can easily do it in 5 days - it's7 miles along the NC / SC Border. Might not quite make the list as it is under 100 miles, but it's still worth doing - very nice.

www.foothillstrail.org/

Images

meant to say 77 miles .... duh

Images

Only 20 people have thru-hiked the Mountain to Sea Trail - the website says its 500 miles long but a lot of this mileage is still on roads, etc. - it's best to hike and cycle it - I've done parts of it - Linville Gorge, GSMNP, Pisgah - it seems to ping pong across NC but everywhere I've been on it was pretty. Here is the website:

www.ncmst.org

Once you get out of the limiting mindset that thru-hiking means having to stay on one set trail from end to end or only on the most noted trails, INFINITE hiking possibilities emerge! Just expand to that thought in the U.S. alone and explore the possibilities!

I love the topic of shorter(> 500 miles) trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Once you get out of the limiting mindset that thru-hiking means having to stay on one set trail from end to end or only on the most noted trails, INFINITE hiking possibilities emerge! Just expand to that thought in the U.S. alone and explore the possibilities!

I love the topic of shorter(> 500 miles) trails!
    Agreed, in Pennsylvania alone there are heaps of opportunities to link from trails to other trail, I think the Susquehannock linked with the Black Forest Trail and Donut Hole Trail would have to be one of the more interesting hikes along the east coast!

Didn't know the Pinhoti Trail was that long, good work!

Keep em coming!

I like the cut of your Jib, Stranger...
    I've heard of the COHOS Trail in New Hampshire
    "162 miles from Crawford Notch to the Canadian border in Pittsburg, NH. You can then continue on the Sentier Frontalier's trail to Mount Megantic or Mount Gosford in Quebec, Canada. "

Sounds tough and worth it any been out there?

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Don't forget New England!

Cohos Trail ~ 162 miles
    New England Scenic Trail ~200 miles
    Metacomet Monadnock Trail (basically the MA portion of the NEST) ~ 110 miles
    Midstate Trail ~ 90 miles

One of my favorites is the North-South trail at Land Between the Lakes in Kentucky. Original name, I know, but it is a beautiful trail with some nice scenery. Easy to moderate hiking. Bring some good raingear as well.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Bartram Trail - 115ish miles.

Garlic
    Images

This is more "give" than "take", but don't forget the 800-mile Arizona Trail, one of the new National Scenic Trails. It's not quite finished (will be by 2012) but it's definitely hikeable now. You can make it a nice 500 mile hike from Tucson to Flagstaff with easy access, shuttles, and logistics.

Of the shorter trails, the Wonderland Trail is near the top of my list, too. You can't beat the logistics if you have a way out there. You end up back at your starting point and it's short enough there's no need for resupply. The NPS holds 25% of camping permits for walk-ins. Can't beat it.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Did anybody mention the Florida Trail? I don't know if it meets your criteria, though. I've never done it.

The Lost Coast Trail (Mendocino coast in California) is supposed to be nice, too. I also have never done that so I don't know if that meets your criteria either.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

Sheltowee Trace is 260 miles long. It starts in Tn (Pickett State Park) and ends in Ky
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Images

Charlestown RI (on the beach) to N. Pack Monadnock Mt., NH
    Mass. midstate trail + Wapack Trail on the north + the RI north south trail on the south.
    191 miles = 95 miles+21 miles+75 miles
    http://www.midstatetrail.org/Guide%20Form.htm
    http://www.wapack.org/map.html
    http://www.rigreenways.org/paths/nst-data.htm

A combination of about 5 miles of local trails and 10 miles of road walking takes you to Mt. Monadnock where you can join the New England Trail and go to Canada.

Guthook has a blog with a trip report of the New England Trail.
    http://guthook.blogspot.com/

I haven't done it, but from what I've read the Cohos trail and connecting trails in Canada are a little known treasure.

The International Appalachian Trail/SENTIER INTERNATIONAL DES APPALACHES is very different from the AT. The Quebec/Gaspe part is supposed to be very beautiful but expensive. The completed parts in Newfoundland should be spectacular.
    http://www.internationalat.org/Pages/index

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++