WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 88BlueGT View Post
    Whos the Navy Seal guy? Is he someone else attempting to set a record or something?
    Mitchell Tennison
    I am a former Navy SEAL of ten years and have yearned to hike the Appalachian Trail since I discovered long distance hiking years ago. I will be setting the record for an UNASSISTED trek of the 2,175 miles that the trail covers from Springer Mountain in Georgia to Katahdin in Maine.
    matthewski

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nearly Normal View Post
    Wolf introduced me to a very fine flat picker once.
    I can't believe I'm doing this: what's a "flat picker"?

Or this: and how can you tell the "very fine" from just "fine", "OK", or just plain "mediocre" flat pickers?

Or even: are these USDA standards???
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    Mitchell Tennison
    I am a former Navy SEAL of ten years and have yearned to hike the Appalachian Trail since I discovered long distance hiking years ago. I will be setting the record for an UNASSISTED trek of the 2,175 miles that the trail covers from Springer Mountain in Georgia to Katahdin in Maine.
    He's averaging 14.1 miles so far. The record is out of the question but hopefully he's enjoying his hike.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    I can't believe I'm doing this: what's a "flat picker"?

Or this: and how can you tell the "very fine" from just "fine", "OK", or just plain "mediocre" flat pickers?

Or even: are these USDA standards???
    could be wrong, but my guess is its a guitar player. as opposed to a finger picker. thats what i think of when i hear it. of course most people probably dont ever think of playing a guitar any other than with a pick.

Thumbs up kewl race

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    According to his facebook, looks like he maybe having digestion problems
    Maybe it’s the toothpaste
    http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/1321888449/PCT_june_2008_93_reasonably_small.jpg

He gets a pizza on me when he hits Hot Springs. May two.
    http://www.natureboyhiking.com/Nature_Boy_s_hungry.php

Images

41.5 on day 1. That is fantastic. This seems like a serious contender folks. I hope his digetion problems go away though. Looking forward to seeing his progress over the next week, see if he can keep up this pace. A 40+ mile day is one thing, stringing a bunch of them together is a whole other thing entirely.

I thought the LW comparison was a good one as to attributes of a record breaking fast hiker. But in 2000 LW and Gypsy were at the Carabasett River Crossing for about a week! I was the crew for the first four days (to Fontana!) of David Horton the Runner's record when he did the AT in 56 days. He was only on the trail about 8 hours a day running about 39 miles. That same year Scott Grierson ( Mainiac) walked 16 hour days (with LW as crew all the way). Horton started about a day behind Mainiac. As a supporter of Horton I predicted we would pass Mainiac at Neel Gap, GA. Well, Horton passed him in Vermont! Once a certain level of athleticism is reached, the whole success has to do with: focus, dedication, desire, logistics, hours on trail, and perseverance.
    Bear Bag GA>ME 2000
    39 Marathons and 115 50-milers, and still slow

Now if you really want to follow an athlete in search of a record on the AT, follow Cimarron the 88 year old hiker who just passed Hot Springs, NC, averaging about 8 mpd but picking it up. He is on Trail Journals. He can give most of hikers an Ass-kicking.
    Bear Bag GA>ME 2000

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 88BlueGT View Post
    Whos the Navy Seal guy? Is he someone else attempting to set a record or something?
    i think nature boy passed him already.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Images

Nature Boy was sick last night and couldn't keep anything down after midnight. He hiked 31.5 miles today and is camped near Blue Ridge Gap. Impressive mileage for a jacked up stomach.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
    Nature Boy was sick last night and couldn't keep anything down after midnight. He hiked 31.5 miles today and is camped near Blue Ridge Gap. Impressive mileage for a jacked up stomach.
    31.5 isn't bad. I was afraid he might really be limited because of the stomach issues. Happy to see he is hiking through the ails. Still on pace...

I agree Nature Boy's mileage is impressive considering the stomach thing, although it's early days, shin splints, tendonitis and stress fractures are all repetition injuries...making miles is one thing, doing it for 59 days straight is another story, damn...doing it for 2 weeks is another story.

He can clearly do the miles, but that's only part of it, holding together physically is another matter. Great to see him going so strongly!

Ward has no thru rec due to he was on drugs.Like in any sport ...it dont count bottom line.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by slow View Post
    Ward has no thru rec due to he was on drugs.Like in any sport ...it dont count bottom line.
    Who says so?

Images

Oh please, the majority of the hiking community recognize Ward as the unsupported record holder. That's good enough for me.

drugs or meds?
    big difference! im a big ward fan and i consider him to be the unsupported record holder, im not sure who the supported record holder is and don't really follow the supported record attempts, IMO its not nearly as exciting as the unsupported attempts

Images

I don't know about Ward, but I am curious as to what is the unsupported record, and the supported record, for that matter.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

60 or 60.5 days for the unsupported record(depends who you ask)
    the supported record is something like 47 days

Images

This is what I have for supported AT thru-hikes...
    1. Andrew Thompson: 47 days 13 hours 31 minutes (2005)
    2. Pete Palmer: 48 days 20 hours 11 minutes (1999)
    3. David Horton: 52 days 9 hours (1991)
    4. Karl Meltzer: 54 days 21 hours 12 minutes (2008)
    5. Scott Grierson: 55 days 20 hours 34 minutes (1991)
    6. Jennifer Pharr Davis: 57 days 8 hours 35 minutes (2008) [women's record]

Ward Leonard is the recognized unsupported record holder, in 1990 he hiked the AT in 60-60.5 days depending on who you talk to.

He also has thru-hiked the AT 10 times and is the only person (or atleast the first person) to complete a double yo-yo (3 thru-hikes) in a calendar year.

He is also mentally ill and a very unique individual who I feel privileged to have met in 1993.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++