WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Do you ever get tired of hiking the same sections?

So... tomorrow/Fri/Sat my wife and I are going to hike the 30 mile section from Devil's Fork Gap to Hot Springs....

Man, I've hiked this section so many times I can almost close my eyes and hike it from my Lazyboy.

Trouble is, it's a section my wife has never hiked it and she wants to hit the hot tubs after the hike so there's no negotiation.

I guess I should be happy - I could be sitting at home watching the grass grow. Last weekend we went to Damascus and rode bikes on the Creeper Trail - that was pretty cool....

You ever hike the same section so many times you weren't enthused about hiking it anymore?

And to take 2.5 days to hike what I would normally hike in 1 good day is going to be a challenge in itself....

No. It just doesn't happen. I love to go back.

Sometimes I'd rather see something new, but I've never worn out a section of trail yet.

aka -OvertheEdge- :)
    Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Images

I have hiked from my front door to Birch Run or Toms Run shelter more times than I can count. All it cost me is some snack food and whatever I want to eat for supper. I always enjoy the time just walking, the night in the woods, and meeting other hikers. My wife will go on very short afternoon hikes with me and she is maddenly slow still I would not trade the time she spends with me doing something I love for anything.
    Alcohol was involved!

I could spend 10 days on a 30 mile section. Going to the same place over and over again has its merits---you know where the water and campsites are. Anyway, bag nights are bag nights, whether in the front yard or on the AT or inside a wilderness area. It's all about bag nights.

Any time I hike with my wife is special. The fact I'm doing something I really enjoy with the most important person in my life makes it special, no matter what or where it is.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Images

Living in Asheville, I've hike the southern NC, the GSNP, and Fine's Creek to Big Bald numerous times. Sometimes it gets old, sometime's exciting with the changes in the weather, sometimes interesting when the seasons flip. But like you it does get old sometimes. I actually was going to PM you today to get some good section ingo from Erwin north.

Images

I've hiked Central District Shenandoah repeatedly, but usually with a crosscut saw and I always find something to cut. Stopping to buck up a blowdown during the various seasons of the year makes every hike just a little bit different.

I've hiked some of the same sections of the PCT 3 times and a few of them as many as 5 times. There are always new people to meet, pretty flowers to see, different weather conditions, something to make the experience new.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

I just love getting out. We do a loop at Mt Rogers at least 2-3 times a year. It never gets old.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

It hasn't happened to me yet. I'm still getting to know the areas better and better every time I get out there. I enjoy bumping into hikers, especially when they think the area is dry and barren so that I can point out the nearby water resources, maybe even a swimming hole or waterfall, and then show them that the horrible 'desert' plants they were mindlessly walking past are actually edible and that many of them were used as alternatives for various things during WWII and the oil crisis...and I still have a LOT to learn.

I certainly get tired of hiking the same sections. 3 is usually my limit. And unfortunately, I've done every section within 3 hours of me atleast 3 times....

Problem is, after you do all of the local trail than you have to start traveling and thats when it becomes complicated. Taking buses, trains, hitching, getting picked up and dropped back off at your vehicle, back tracking, etc.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

fullhardt knob from evry direction posibe but whtevs... saddly VA311-220 is also loseing its awsomeness to me but the views on that tretch make it worth while specialy with a freind or somthin..

I've hiked the Golden Eagle Trail (9 mile loop) in PA 4 times and I always finish to myself thinking that I cannot wait until I get the chance to do it again. If there is something I really enjoy about a trail, it feels like a reward to hike to it and it never gets old.

There are trail sections I've hiked multiple times without getting bored of them, and then there are trails I get bored with hiking them for the first time. Thankfully that second category is smaller than the first.
    --
    EJS
    (Ed. S)

You can never hike the Roans too many times.
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

Images

If you can take a notebook for a register @ Jerry's Cabin shelter.I was there Sunday nite and someone left a very small,pocket sized one and it was about full.Also don't take the Jerry Miller trail by mistake which seems to be happening to some NOBOs again.....LOL....

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I always liked the Bald Mtn ridgeline because of the exposed trail, views of Rocky Fork, and the gravesites.

I say the sections with the least amount of views were the least entertaining ones. Holston, Iron, south of Indian Grave.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

Warning the gnats are bad and biting too

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    If you can take a notebook for a register @ Jerry's Cabin shelter.I was there Sunday nite and someone left a very small,pocket sized one and it was about full.Also don't take the Jerry Miller trail by mistake which seems to be happening to some NOBOs again.....LOL....
    I'll drop a notebook off on the way by, no problem.

I like the Jerry Miller trail - I've taken it the last 2 times I've hiked that section because it's all downhill and a lot quicker to Devil's Fork Gap.

BTW, along the same lines... The Roundtop Ridge trail on the south side of Rich Mt. is the old AT route into Hot Springs and saves 5.5 miles off the current AT route into Hot Springs. I took this trail out of Hot Springs last week and it's a slow, gradual climb on good tread all the way to the AT. It saves almost 3 hours of hiking and you get to miss the climbs out of Hot Springs that the current AT has.
    Last edited by 10-K; 05-04-2011 at 22:20.

I got VERY tired of hiking the stretch between Rte. 4 and Hanover in Vt.-NH. after doing it a third time with bronchitis in the summer of 2005. Other than that, I'm happy to hike with others mainly to show them the sights most other places.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++