WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default AT hiker arrested in Pawling

Here is a local story. Short on details.

http://hpnw.org/2011/04/appalachian-...c-center-food/

He probably thot the rec center was the site of a pre-planned hiker feed.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

$2500 cash / $10,000 unsecured bond for some food sounds like they're going to make an example out of him.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    $2500 cash / $10,000 unsecured bond for some food sounds like they're going to make an example out of him.
    Yeah, sounds a bit like "Les Miserables." Stealing a bit of food is a felony? Give me a break. Unless he hijacked a semi-truck, stealing some food should be a misdemeanor. Save the felony tag for serious crimes. Far too many "petty" crime definitions have not kept up with inflation and are now prosecuted zealously way beyond their place on the spectrum of harm to society and persons. IMHO.

Having said that, thieves should be prosecuted (just not like they're rapists or murderers).

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

You have to admit, stealing food is rather.. uh... unsmart.

The only way I can see myself stealing food is if I were driven by hunger.

Food is the one thing most people would give you if you asked for it.

Images

Agree with Rain Man. Real crimes have victims, no victim, no crime. If he did steal a low dollar value of food items, then he committed a misdemeanor at best. But no, some prosecutor and LEO's need to make an "example" of him. They would add a burglary charge if he entered the rec center building to steal the food, that he entered the building with the intent of committing a crime therein. This way they can threaten him with serious time in order to take their "deal".

It does seem a little extreme but that's the price you pay when you steal something, no matter the value.
    Last edited by 88BlueGT; 05-05-2011 at 13:26.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Quote Originally Posted by DareN View Post
    Agree with Rain Man. Real crimes have victims, no victim, no crime. If he did steal a low dollar value of food items, then he committed a misdemeanor at best. But no, some prosecutor and LEO's need to make an "example" of him. They would add a burglary charge if he entered the rec center building to steal the food, that he entered the building with the intent of committing a crime therein. This way they can threaten him with serious time in order to take their "deal".
    Exactly. This way they can drop the felony, hold the misdemeanor and probably have him pay some astronomical fine
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Or they just want to make sure he shows up in court instead of hiking on.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

they should just make him do some comunity service or somthin this seems a bit blown up....punishment should fit the crime..

Images

No victim, no crime?

How about the taxpayer who has to pay for any replacement food? Repairs to the doors, locks, whatever?

Let's give everyone a slap on the wrist no matter what - that'll deter them.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

You're looking at this the wrong way. The burglary was the felony - i.e. breaking into the rec center at night for the purpose of stealing something. Because what he stole was food of relatively little value, the theft itself was the misdmeanor.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Quote Originally Posted by d.o.c View Post
    they should just make him do some comunity service or somthin this seems a bit blown up....punishment should fit the crime..
    Yeah, he's a hiker, therefore "entitled" to easy treatment. By now, Pawling should know hikers are special!

A good lawyer will plead it down to criminal trespass, he'll pay a fine plus restitution for damages, and hike on.

i didnt say hes entitled to anything... but i doubt he stole a cow or a goat or stole $10,000 worth of food either so i think forceing him to work for that comunity fits this crime more than jail and large fines and tax payer money to house his ass in jail for a tiny amount of food... i also missd the breaking in part at first..

Noob

Lot's of sympathy here for the thief. How about instead of some rec center he was stealing food out of hikers packs? Would there be as much sympathy? A thief is a thief is a thief.

screw this guy.

The need for food I can see, but ask, dont break into somewhere, hikers get a bad enough rap.

way to go assfacedumbstick, now we will lose that park as a welcome camp.

Once again, thank you ******** who ruin things on trails.

Default Mens rea

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    ...Stealing a bit of food is a felony? Give me a break. .... IMHO.
    Having said that, thieves should be prosecuted .
    The burglary is the felony. Just like breaking and entering into your house would be.

PS

I EAGERLY await Lone Wolfs response to this idiots actions

I stayed at the recreation center during my 1995 thru. Even then it was out of the way and used by few, but I needed resupply and laundry.
    I can't think of a good reason for a non thru hiker to even walk the 3 miles in and out of town.
    The town has allowed hikers to sleep there for all this time and to have some one screw it up is just amazing. A small town like this should take it serious when some one breaks in or damages it's park. No one could be that hungry in a place where any one would feed you if you needed it. If he could walk that far he couldn't be doing it just for food. He did it cause he thought he could get away with it.
    So what happens now when a hiker "needs" to use the town park? Are they gonna find a big sign that says closed after dark? Is the town going to look at some one carrying a pack through town as a potential thief?
    It only takes one to ruin it for everyone.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++