WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

No one has mentioned this: Maybe he "only" stole say, $25.00 worth of food. Did he damage the building/door $500.00 worth when he broke in? I suspect that's where the expensive felony charge comes in. He is charged according to the law of the state he is in when he committed the crime - if it's over a certain dollar amount, it's a felony, not a misdemeanor. The DA's office can't just arbitrarily make the charge - it is based on what the law says they have to charge.

I used to work for a judge and he always said "They put themselves in jail; I just tell them how long they have to stay."

Images

If he's found 'guilty', which it looks to be the case, perhaps his sentence could be foot washing for tired hikers that rest in this park.

SMSP
    South MS Patriot

Feathered friend to all. Penguin's Avatar

Then he might rob them while doing the foot washing. I say give him what he wants. He wanted free food, and in jail you get plenty of it, so put him there. The bum should be happy then.

Too bad the Dutchess County Sheriffs Office doesn't post arrest mugshots. Very frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Too bad the Dutchess County Sheriffs Office doesn't post arrest mugshots. Very frustrating.
    Apparently it is against national security interests.

No such thing as free food....he eats, we pay.

geek

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Dutchess County, huh?? His new trail name should be Dutchess!

maby the answer is to dip theives in green coloring that dosnt ever wash off head to toe.then put them in jail longer. i belive leaving them un diped is a mistake.
    matthewski

What if its the start of a peasants revolt?

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    thieves suck. no sympathy

Petty thieves suck. Big time Wall Street thieves are a whole other level of sucking. They almost never get punished. Lets save the blood lust for those who really deserve it.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I can't help but imagine trying to explain the "no victim/no crime" idea to a 10 year old. This is simple- don't take what doesn't belong to you, and don't go in places you don't belong. So it is OK if he stole $15 worth of food, but at $25 it is a crime? Sorry- I would eat my shoe before I stole food- from a house, a picnic table, a restaurant or center. Why is it OK- because we are LD hikers and the world owes us something? I remember a hostile owner putting out Snickers and asking for payment of 50 cents in a cup- he told me about half the hikers took them without paying. Hey- its only candy right? Please- wrong is wrong. Even a 10 year old can get that. Is it to much to assume a hiker can't? I don't know the details, and maybe there are some additional circumstances, but don't excuse theft because it is "petty".

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    She shoots, she score! 5/5.

Quote Originally Posted by DripDry View Post
    I can't help but imagine trying to explain the "no victim/no crime" idea to a 10 year old. This is simple- don't take what doesn't belong to you, and don't go in places you don't belong. So it is OK if he stole $15 worth of food, but at $25 it is a crime? Sorry- I would eat my shoe before I stole food- from a house, a picnic table, a restaurant or center. Why is it OK- because we are LD hikers and the world owes us something? I remember a hostile owner putting out Snickers and asking for payment of 50 cents in a cup- he told me about half the hikers took them without paying. Hey- its only candy right? Please- wrong is wrong. Even a 10 year old can get that. Is it to much to assume a hiker can't? I don't know the details, and maybe there are some additional circumstances, but don't excuse theft because it is "petty".
    I'd never steal food unless the alternative was to starve to death.

In my rant, I should have said "hostel" vs. "hostile". I guess I am struggling with why anybody would try to justify this guy's actions. I get that the police may have overreacted with the charges, but stealing is still wrong in my book and isn't justified by the value of the theft (or location). If I was truly starving, I guess I might consider it if I had no other option- but there is a long way between "hungry" and "starving". I doubt he had walked that road. And just for the record- at the hostel I gave the owner a couple of extra bucks for the idiots that thought they were too important to pay for what they took. (OK- make that two rants- I am done now!).

WOW! So now it's Pawling or New York's fault that this young AT hiker was hit with Burglary and Petty Larceny charges?

Thievery tends to be like eating potato chips, hardly anybody stops at just one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    Already taken!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lion King View Post
    screw this guy.

The need for food I can see, but ask, dont break into somewhere, hikers get a bad enough rap.

way to go assfacedumbstick, now we will lose that park as a welcome camp.

Once again, thank you ******** who ruin things on trails.

I agree with you 100%
    I don't know

Jus ti fy
    To make a passing comment on without extreme outrage and condemnation.

Source: High Horse Dictionary - 21st Century Edition

New to forum, not new to hiking. WildTomato's Avatar

Angry

Stealing another man's property is one of the oldest crimes in the world.

No mercy should be given to this thief.

A example should be set by the Hiker community that crime will NOT be tolerated on the trail, as to protect the A.T.

I do not want the A.T. and A.T. hikers ( thrus the most ) to get a bad reputation along the trail.
    - Ticks are not bad, just misunderstood.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++