WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Sobo vs Nobo Costs?

Does anyone have a ballpark estimate for what a southbound thru-hike might cost? I've seen estimates for nobo from 3,000 to 6,000 minimum. I was wondering if it might be cheaper or more expensive since there is less of a crowd (ie: sharing rooms, hostels open vs. group temptation to stay in town, hostels closed) If anyone has any insight, it would be greatly appreciated. FYI I'm leaving June 9th 2014 SOBO.

Quote Originally Posted by keystone_alex View Post
    Does anyone have a ballpark estimate for what a southbound thru-hike might cost? I've seen estimates for nobo from 3,000 to 6,000 minimum. I was wondering if it might be cheaper or more expensive since there is less of a crowd (ie: sharing rooms, hostels open vs. group temptation to stay in town, hostels closed) If anyone has any insight, it would be greatly appreciated. FYI I'm leaving June 9th 2014 SOBO.
    Sleep in the woods = free. Avoiding falling in with the group temptation = cheap hike. Hostel/Hotel hoppers = expensive.
    "eastern rain is made of skittles and one need only pack an appetite." - mweinstone

Images

I can't make a comparison between nobo and sobo costs, but between me and two other fellas I met on the trail (all sobo) our expenses ranged from $2,000 to $6,000. I think that's pretty typical for either a nobo or a sobo hike. The fella who spent $2,000 finished in 3.5 months, the fella who spent $6,000 took more than 5.

I haven't done a nobo or sobo thru-hike, but I've done long sections over the past 15 years. From what I've seen leaving Springer twice in thru-hiker season, tons of unprepared and inexperienced hikers making their way north. This means when they reach Mountain Crossings 30 miles later, many of them are suffering from the poor gear choices and many of them drop hundreds, sometimes even $1000. So that right there can blow out a budget.

Second...at least going nobo...the crowds are big. So many hikers, especially first time long-distance hikers, tend to form little groups and stick together. This is mainly due to the need 'to survive' in the early days, and later on it's because you become like family, and when hiking in a group, it's always going to be more expensive because one person will suggest something, and then everyone goes along so they don't break free from the group. I've experienced this in my younger years...I was in a small group and everyone wanted to zero at NOC, so I zero'd and went rafting. These days I would simply start hiking and leave people behind.

Then there is the number of hiker facilities going nobo to deal with the crowds...heaps of them:
    - Neels Gap, mile 30
    - Hiawassee, mile 70
    - Franklin, mile 110
    - NOC, mile 130
    - Fontana Dam, mile 165
    - Gatlinburg, mile 205
    - Standing Bear Farm, mile 240
    - Hot Springs, mile 273

That's a place to spend money every 34 miles, for me...that means I can spend money every other day. And new hikers, especially in bad weather which accompanies the spring, will go to every single place listed above and zero at many of them as well. However, I'm sure once north of Hot Springs, the money starts to be thrown around less, probably out of neccesity, but also cause hiking 20's is no big deal and people don't run into town every time it rains.

So by going sobo, you start out with less opportunities to spend money, and I personally believe having to go through the wilderness initially, means hikers harden up a little quicker. My guess would be that all things equal, a sobo hike would be about 15-20% cheaper than a nobo hike...because you don't have to deal with some of the issues I've talked about - or at the very least you are more limited, which is probably good money wise.

That's my two cents...I could be completely wrong however!

I saw a study on this site once that showed that sobos take fewer zero days, which would make the trip cheaper. It makes sense: in the first 100 miles, there aren't great options for days off. (Yes, there is WHL, you could zero at Abol or the park, but these are not as alluring as Neels Gap, Hiker Hostel, etc in GA.) I agree with stranger that sobos harden up a little quicker. They have no other choice. But once they reach the south, it will be very cold, and that may force them inside, so it probably evens out.

Food is cheaper in the south, and sobos will be at their hungriest in the south. Just a thought.

What Stranger & SonrisaJo say makes a lot of sense. All things considered, SoBo's may spend less money per successful thru than NoBo's will.

On my NoBo thru this year, I had two changes in my early itinerary that added additional costs: upgraded from a hostel to a Holiday Inn Express in Hiawassee and hit Gatlinburg after dealing snow & ice issues in the Smokey's. The further north I went, I grew less tolerant of the nasty rain & bugs I encountered. I began looking for options to get out of the elements. I either stayed in more hostels or shared a room in a motel w/ my hiking partner. I was glad that I had the finances to make such a change. If I was a young, poor college kid, I'd just have to slog through the mess & deal with it.

IMO NOBO vs SOBO would be a minor variable for consideration of total cost. That said, I think one would tend to spend SLIGHTLY less going SOBO but it would be background noise compared to other variables.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I agree, SOBO is slightly cheaper but shouldn't be your decision maker by any means since it might only be a few dollars cheaper.
    More importantly: how much do you like other people around you in the woods when hiking? camping?
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

I would think the cost would be about the same. I would guess a SOBO hike could possibly save $100-$200 dollars because of taking less zeros (in town) but that you could also find SOBOs who spent more than NOBOs on their hike. The main cost of my hike were town food and hostels which I would have spent regardless of the direction I hiked. It was just as easy to spend $ in town on food or alcohol whether I was with one or six other hikers. I didn't see many solo SOBOs so I don't think that cost would differ much. If you don't want to hit most every bar it won't matter if you're going north or south. If you do, you'll find someone to join you along the way.

Just a theory, you spend more money in the last 500 miles when exhaustion and starvation are at it's worst. If that 500 is in New England where prices are almost double for hotels over the South end of the trail and town food is also higher it should affect the total cost. So a hiker may spend less by going South.

++ New Posts ++